9 Convicted Australian Rapists Not Jailed

Started by gallsman, December 10, 2007, 04:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7136269.stm

Anyone else seen this? Probation and suspended sentences?! The judge saying that a ten year old girl "probably ageed to have sex with all of you". What the hell is going on????

J70

How the hell can a ten-year old be judgeed to have consented to sex?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

If she had been a 10 year old "white" girl then the sentence would have been very different.
Tbc....

ziggysego

This is a truly horrific verdict. All the most shocking as it was a female judge. (In an ideal world, that shouldn't make a difference)

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd was spoken out against it.... it's a time for action.

Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

QuoteJudge Bradley later defended her sentencing, telling The Australian that the sentences were "appropriate" because they were the penalties sought by the prosecution.

Lock the judge, the prosecutor and the rapists up together!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Square Ball

words fail me on this one, but how did it take from October to now to come out? was it because it wasn't a white child?

where the rapists Aborigines?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stephenite

Queensland Prime Minister has ordered a review of all cases that this Judge has handled for the last two years - this case really does beggar belief >:(

deiseach

Quote from: Square Ball on December 10, 2007, 09:55:39 PM
words fail me on this one, but how did it take from october to now to come out? was it because it wasnt a white child?

The perpetrators were Aborigines too

QuoteThe offenders came from some of the most powerful and prominent Aboriginal families in Cape York, while the victim's family had a lower status, The Australian reported.

A case of a small town trying (and failing, thankfully) to close ranks behind their favourite jocks (cf death of Brian Murphy)

stew

This story breaks my heart and diminishes my faith in humanity.

How can these judges mete out these mickey mouse sentences and still have a job and who is there to protect the child. For me the whole lot of them should be put up against a wall and shot, and that includes the Judge.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

stephenite

Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2007, 03:31:24 AM
Can judges be impeached in Australia?

Dunno, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some mechanism to allow them to be given the boot and open to prosecution

fred

This judge should be canned. As in any job, if one does not perform to the standards required they are reprimanded. Are judges, pardon the pun, a law unto themselves? The same situations arise in the north, some asshole outta touch p***k of a judge decides in their infinite wisdom to allow hoodin' scum back onto the streets!! Why why why? This really gets my blood boiling.

TORGAEL

I just cannot belive this. How can this judge be fit for office if this is the type of decision they can reach. It just beggars belief. I am truly lost for words.

stephenite

mackers

You would think the fact that she was female would influence her decision, but a couple of years back I had the misfortune of doing jury service on a case against a guy who indecently assaulted three girls in his locality. The jury was made up of six men and six women. Upon hearing the evidence I decided that this guy was guilty as charged and assumed the six women would agree and send him down the line. To my amazement, five of the women argued his case when we were debating what verdict to give. We had to give an undecided verdict, as foreman of the jury I had to get up and announce the verdict and the victims went into hysterics, he was found guilty in a subsequent court.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.