Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

At these weight levels there is less than 80% of what you think a boxer actually gets. Conlon wouldn't get much punditry work
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: Eire90 on May 28, 2023, 12:09:44 AM
i think it all depends does conlan have the desire to climb the ladder again maybe a  cash out fight with warrington or maybe he will hang up the gloves and become a promoter with his brother,

He never really had to climb the ladder again though, the perks of having TR behind you. He'll have to earn his next shot legitimately, which basically means that it will be highly unlikely that we'll see him fight for a title again.

Is there much of a career for him in promotion? Does his brother promote anything apart from cards where Conlan fights? Hardly a strong group of top fighters to promote in the country either.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

WT4E

What was with throwing the towel in last night.

Would a corner not wait to see if he was goin to get up before throwing it as the count would stop the fight in any event and from my mind throwing the towel in is the worst way for a fighter to have the fight ended woukd they both prefer to take the big shot and 10 count?

quit yo jibbajabba

The couple rounds i seen he had took some heavy heavy hits, prob for the best overall

Milltown Row2

At least he stayed in the ring this time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Jude Gallagher is an amateur from Newtownstewart Two Castles Club. Won commonwealth Gold (as I was told beforehand he would do) and could be worth following in the next few years.. still only 20 and a proper rising star. Target is next years Olympics in Paris.

square_ball

Quote from: WT4E on May 28, 2023, 11:12:25 AM

Would a corner not wait to see if he was goin to get up before throwing it as the count would stop the fight in any event and from my mind throwing the towel in is the worst way for a fighter to have the fight ended woukd they both prefer to take the big shot and 10 count?

I'd say it was in relation to how heavy handed Lopez was and to save Conlan from any further damage. Conlan wouldn't have known where he was if he had beat the 10 count and against Lopez that would have been dangerous to say the least. He wasn't beating the 10 count anyway I don't think so the towel going in didn't make a difference.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: square_ball on May 28, 2023, 11:55:03 AM

I'd say it was in relation to how heavy handed Lopez was and to save Conlan from any further damage. Conlan wouldn't have known where he was if he had beat the 10 count and against Lopez that would have been dangerous to say the least. He wasn't beating the 10 count anyway I don't think so the towel going in didn't make a difference.

100%.....

Throwing in the towel was the right call.....

Often the men in the corner get criticised for not acting quick enough....spot on last night!

nrico2006

Booth knows boxing inside out so I assume he knew that Conlan was hurt and wasn't going to get up and survive.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

WT4E

Quote from: square_ball on May 28, 2023, 11:55:03 AM

Yeah I get u but what I mean is why not see if he even tries to beat the 10 count and if he does throw the towel then. Cause there was no way he was beating the count

SaffronSports

Quite often with a first knockdown the ref will give the fighter a chance so Booth took any doubt out of the situation. To be honest, he might even have done it earlier as it was apparent what was going to happen from Lopez landed the first upper cut. Mick was in big trouble and was landing very clean shots but they weren't remotely bothering Lopez so it was just a matter of how long.

JimStynes

Conlon is just a few levels below that elite level. I don't even think that Mexican is all that either. He looked awkward at times. If a power puncher who is a decent boxer as well fights him I think they would stop him.

square_ball

Battle of the dickheads won by Lopez last night. Didn't see it but from reports seems like it was more comfortable than the scorecards. Taylor another former Shane Mcguigan fighter that has got worse since leaving his gym.

bennydorano

Watched the recording this morning, Taylor started off well enough to the mid rounds but faded after that, was surprised 2 of the scorecards were as close.  Lopez is very hard to like and his showboating looks a bit designed to cover up his deficiencies.

At least Taylor can go out with his head held high - not like after the Caterrall fight which was the biggest joke points win EVER!

square_ball

Judging by his post fight comments he must have been advised to take it on the chin and be a bit more humble than after the Catterall fight.