The Agreement - 25 years on

Started by brokencrossbar1, March 30, 2023, 01:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: dec on April 20, 2023, 06:28:53 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 20, 2023, 06:09:01 PM
This is due to a selective school system that unionists refuse to reform,

Sinn Fein may have been the one to get rid of the transfer test but all the Catholic grammar schools were on board with creating their own replacement. Catholics seem just as keen to send their kids to selective grammar schools as Protestants.

Grammar schools will look after themselves.  Driven by parental choice.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on April 20, 2023, 09:23:42 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 20, 2023, 09:14:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 20, 2023, 03:40:57 PM
The Agreement didn't bring the prosperity that people expected.

How so?
The Southern economy now is 9 times bigger than the 6 county economy.

But how does the northern economy today compare to how it was in the Troubles? How about civic and social life? People go out for evening meals now, I don't remember much of that in the Troubles.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 21, 2023, 12:09:26 AM

How so?

But how does the northern economy today compare to how it was in the Troubles? How about civic and social life? People go out for evening meals now, I don't remember much of that in the Troubles.

City centre was locked down after 7 or 8pm you had to climb 5 meter gates/barriers just to get home
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

How so?

Exactly. The reference point for the northern economy is the northern economy not the southern economy. The difference is night and day with inward investment, tourism etc etc.

seafoid

How so?

Compared to Wales, Scotland and the South , the North fell behind during the last 25 years. People go out in Scotland but with more money. Poverty levels in the North are worse than elsewhere.

Sportacus

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 21, 2023, 08:27:37 AM

How so?

Exactly. The reference point for the northern economy is the northern economy not the southern economy. The difference is night and day with inward investment, tourism etc etc.
It's night and day alright, but incomes here are by far the lowest in the UK, and Mary McAleese said this week that unemployment in Ardoyne was 70% when the GFA was signed and it's 70% today.  If that's anywhere near true then there's still a lot to put right, (and I suppose opens up a can of worms about who is getting off their backside and who isn't!).

LC

Quote from: Sportacus on April 21, 2023, 06:12:39 PM

How so?

It's night and day alright, but incomes here are by far the lowest in the UK, and Mary McAleese said this week that unemployment in Ardoyne was 70% when the GFA was signed and it's 70% today.  If that's anywhere near true then there's still a lot to put right, (and I suppose opens up a can of worms about who is getting off their backside and who isn't!).

For a lot of these people this is a lifestyle choice.  If there were no jobs / opportunities in Belfast why is the M1 and M2 bunged every morning with commuters and work vans.

Rossfan

Typical country crowd "taking our jobs" ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

City centre full of southerners probably. Locals are just staying in and drinking home brew and eating spuds
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Places like ardoyne, short strand, Sandy Rowe etc probably haven't changed much at all tbh.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 21, 2023, 08:09:32 PM
Places like ardoyne, short strand, Sandy Rowe etc probably haven't changed much at all tbh.

They've their own pubs in their gardens now. Holiday twice a year and play golf! Doing a hell of a lot better than what my dad had to contend with

seafoid

How so?

The problem is deeper than hard working people versus scroungers. There is something wrong at the level of the system.

onefineday

How so?

Newton Emerson wrote yesterday in the Irish times that NI unemployment is 2.4% in effect full employment. Similarly we constantly hear of the problems employers have trying to find workers. Something seems off about that 70% number somewhere!

imtommygunn

With zero hour contracts it's near impossible to truly tell unemployment stats.

The hospitality industry is absolutely crying out for staff here though. Restaurants bars etc can't get staff so there should be less unemployment than there is.

LC

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 22, 2023, 07:55:07 AM
With zero hour contracts it's near impossible to truly tell unemployment stats.

The hospitality industry is absolutely crying out for staff here though. Restaurants bars etc can't get staff so there should be less unemployment than there is.

Plenty of potential staff in Ardoyne if they are looking them....