The Agreement - 25 years on

Started by brokencrossbar1, March 30, 2023, 01:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

As we approach the 25th anniversary what do people remember?  I went to watch The Agreement on the Lyric last night and it brought back memories of News watching and anticipation. It also gave a great insight into what likely happened behind the scenes that we did not know, in particular the pressure on Trimble in particular.

seafoid

The Womens Coalition and David Ervine . The UUP was still the main Unionist party
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

I mainly remember the euphoria of the night it was all agreed.

Can't remember if it was in the lead up or the aftermath, but I was at an L&H (I think) sponsored debate at UCD where George Mitchell, Brid Rodgers (I think), David Ervine and others were there selling and celebrating the agreement. One of the Kennedy sisters was US ambassador at the time and also in the hall.

Only fly in the ointment was Robert McCartney, who got very angry when the crowd started hissing "shame" at some of his boloxology. "Shame on you" he roared. w**ker!

RedHand88

Ruth Patterson giving a completely reasonable well thought out response to it
https://youtu.be/KEq3c0nbkkg

Remember everyone at home cheering at the TV when the referendum result was announced. Remember the pack that was delivered to every home laying it all out.

johnnycool

Peelers getting burned out of their homes by their loyalist neighbours..

Car cavalcade down the Falls Road as if a UI had been announced.

David Ervine, standing behind Paisley at the gates of Stormont reminding Paisley that he can still remember the colour of his wallpaper in 74 when Paisley was proclaiming to the world that he would never sit down with "terrorists".

lurganblue

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 30, 2023, 01:44:28 PM
As we approach the 25th anniversary what do people remember?  I went to watch The Agreement on the Lyric last night and it brought back memories of News watching and anticipation. It also gave a great insight into what likely happened behind the scenes that we did not know, in particular the pressure on Trimble in particular.

I'm booked for this myself next week. Looking forward to it.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: lurganblue on March 30, 2023, 04:52:54 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 30, 2023, 01:44:28 PM

I'm booked for this myself next week. Looking forward to it.

Well worth it. Although loosely based it does give a sense of what it was like.

AustinPowers

On Good Friday itself , I Was listening  to Man Utd v Liverpool match  on the radio. Every few minutes  during commentary  they kept reporting  that  there's an agreement  been done  between the parties at Stormont

Michael Owen equalised  for Liverpool then was sent off. Finished 1-1, another  dent to united's title  hopes that  year.

It's  weird  what you  remember. I couldn't even remember who Liverpool or United  played  last  week but I  remembered all that from    25 years ago

quit yo jibbajabba

Jeebus. Good memory there Austin. Mind that match but not that it coincided with this.

As an aside i was watchin Hamburger Hill and took a break to be met with the news that those 2 off duty army/policemen had been bate to death at the funerals back in the day. But anyway...

dec

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 31, 2023, 03:35:04 PM
On Good Friday itself , I Was listening  to Man Utd v Liverpool match  on the radio. Every few minutes  during commentary  they kept reporting  that  there's an agreement  been done  between the parties at Stormont

Michael Owen equalised  for Liverpool then was sent off. Finished 1-1, another  dent to united's title  hopes that  year.

It's  weird  what you  remember. I couldn't even remember who Liverpool or United  played  last  week but I  remembered all that from    25 years ago

I don't remember the date that Princess Diana died, but I remember that Liverpool were due to play Newcastle. I went around to a bar near me where NYC Liverpool supporters met only to discover that the game had been postponed.

Wildweasel74

Remember very little of it to be honest, not like me as good memory of so many other events from the 90's,

LC

Was living in the Holylands at the time and I remember the voting station was at primary school near Botanic Gardens.

Main Street

On the anniversary of the GFA, yes there's noise about the courage of Trimble the good Samaritan, good because he bucked the trend the rest of the Samaritan tribe were a pile of sheeeeit.
Something that I was not aware of  but now being remembered is the role of the Women's Coalition in the negotiations, the constant condescending jibes they endured and their very positive input to the settlement. So much so that the 'women involved template'  has become an essential part of other conflict negotiated settlements.

marty34

Quote from: Main Street on March 31, 2023, 10:23:55 PM
On the anniversary of the GFA, yes there's noise about the courage of Trimble the good Samaritan, good because he bucked the trend the rest of the Samaritan tribe were a pile of sheeeeit.
Something that I was not aware of  but now being remembered is the role of the Women's Coalition in the negotiations, the constant condescending jibes they endured and their very positive input to the settlement. So much so that the 'women involved template'  has become an essential part of other conflict negotiated settlements.

Yeah, they got a lot of bad manners from the unionists at that time.

Piskin

David Ervine used his common sense over tribalism.