Foreign Game - Not so Foreign Culture

Started by ExcellentDriver, July 25, 2011, 08:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExcellentDriver

I went to Ballymoney Today to watch the Milk Cup game between Tyrone and Fermanagh (unaware that the same two Counties were playing in the Junior Section as well as the Premier Section). The Premier game was won 3-2 by Fermanagh after two late Goals.

I noticed a few things about the crowd similar to a GAA Crowd:

1. People coming in with Tea, Sandwiches and Biscuits.

2. The 'Childer' paying no attention whatsoever to the game and roaming about with each other.

3. The 'Crazy Women' fans. They may have been huns, but they still had the distinctive Fermanagh Accent and lousy chanting.

4. Those leaving early to avoid the hold up at the end (I missed the last 2 goals myself for doing the same).

btw, I talked to a Derry City fan from Enniskillen at the game, as well as see a boy with a Fermanagh GAA Tracksuit. Also, the fella who got both Tyrone Goals goes to Holy Trinity in Cookstown.
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

Bogball XV

When County Londonderry play another OWC team, the Londonderry fans sing there's no f**king London in "insert opponents name" - that's definitely a difference.

ziggysego

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 25, 2011, 09:02:08 PM
When County Londonderry play another OWC team, the Londonderry fans sing there's no f**king London in "insert opponents name" - that's definitely a difference.

:D
Testing Accessibility

Evil Genius

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on July 25, 2011, 08:59:03 PM
I went to Ballymoney Today to watch the Milk Cup game between Tyrone and Fermanagh (unaware that the same two Counties were playing in the Junior Section as well as the Premier Section). The Premier game was won 3-2 by Fermanagh after two late Goals.

3. The 'Crazy Women' fans. They may have been huns, but they still had the distinctive Fermanagh Accent and lousy chanting.
I know all the Fermanagh teams - players, management, admin and supporters - to be entirely mixed (as are, I'm pretty sure, all the other County teams). None of those people would thank you for your use of the term "Hun", nor indeed any term which sought to differentiate them.

All of which is, perhaps, the biggest difference  between Association Football and Gaelic Football...  ::)

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on July 25, 2011, 08:59:03 PMbtw, I talked to a Derry City fan from Enniskillen at the game, as well as see a boy with a Fermanagh GAA Tracksuit. Also, the fella who got both Tyrone Goals goes to Holy Trinity in Cookstown.
And still you deem it a "foreign" game...  :o
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

thebigfella

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 26, 2011, 01:19:09 PM

I know all the Fermanagh teams - players, management, admin and supporters - to be entirely mixed (as are, I'm pretty sure, all the other County teams). None of those people would thank you for your use of the term "Hun", nor indeed any term which sought to differentiate them.

All of which is, perhaps, the biggest difference  between Association Football and Gaelic Football...  ::)

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on July 25, 2011, 08:59:03 PMbtw, I talked to a Derry City fan from Enniskillen at the game, as well as see a boy with a Fermanagh GAA Tracksuit. Also, the fella who got both Tyrone Goals goes to Holy Trinity in Cookstown.

To be honest I was gonna reply but decided I couldn't be bothered wasting energy on the remedial OP.

haranguerer

Its says on the beeb fermanagh lost 3-1 in premier and junior comps

armaghniac

QuoteNone of those people would thank you for your use of the term "Hun", nor indeed any term which sought to differentiate them.

yet many of those people are profoundly prejudiced and would not only not attend a GAA game, but would oppose other people doing so  ???
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bogball XV

Quote from: haranguerer on July 26, 2011, 03:20:37 PM

Its says on the beeb fermanagh lost 3-1 in premier and junior comps
Typical, coverage of locally based soccer on the beeb is ridiculous.  Far to busy sending cameras off to watch Lisnagarvey play hockey or some such nonsense.  Look at the crowd there was at that Milk Cup game, surely that should be enough to convince the bigots at the head of the BBC in Norn Iron that local soccer deserves decent coverage.

ExcellentDriver

I only used the Term 'Foreign Game' in a sarcastic manner. ;)

I remember being one of the few lads in my School to give the Northern Ireland Soccer team a chance (even getting abuse at School for doing so). But then I went to University and went through a phase of supporting the Republic (buying into the whole aspect of Japan/Korea 2002). This was a time when International Soccer was viewed in this Country as merely an extension of the Auld Firm (exacerbated by the Boneheads at Lansdowne who heckled opposition Rangers Players).

Nowadays, I simply support English-Speaking Countries that aren't England. ;)
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

No EG, you wouldn't get that kind of talk in Mayo, please don't judge GAA fans or the GAA by the language of the dinosaurs.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Bogball XV

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 10:10:00 AM

No EG, you wouldn't get that kind of talk in Mayo, please don't judge GAA fans or the GAA by the language of the dinosaurs.
exactly, any mayo lads I know still refer to them as 'tans'

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 28, 2011, 10:18:43 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 28, 2011, 10:10:00 AM

exactly, any mayo lads I know still refer to them as 'tans'

That acutally made me laugh Bogball  :D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.