TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JimStynes on January 13, 2022, 05:11:03 PM
I tend not to like the shows that end up getting silly. I lose interest in the likes of Lost, 24 and Prison Break etc. Some exceptions to the rule of course.
The silliness is typically an indication that the writers sold the concept on a strong 2 or 3 series and eventually run out of ideas. I remember loving that show Heroes back in the day but it got really stupid; even Only Fools and Horses got incredibly weak towards the end. They should know when to pull the plug.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 13, 2022, 05:46:38 PM
I tend not to like the shows that end up getting silly. I lose interest in the likes of Lost, 24 and Prison Break etc. Some exceptions to the rule of course.
The silliness is typically an indication that the writers sold the concept on a strong 2 or 3 series and eventually run out of ideas. I remember loving that show Heroes back in the day but it got really stupid; even Only Fools and Horses got incredibly weak towards the end. They should know when to pull the plug.

Only Fools should have plugged plug after he made the millions. But I've watched back subsequent episodes since and there are some comedy gold moments in them.

To me the Wire was overrated and even though watched till end couldn't understand hype.

Top 3 for me is Breaking Bad, Suits and the Sopranos.

thewobbler

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 13, 2022, 07:38:10 PM

Only Fools should have plugged plug after he made the millions. But I've watched back subsequent episodes since and there are some comedy gold moments in them.

To me the Wire was overrated and even though watched till end couldn't understand hype.

If you enjoyed Suits that much it probably explains why you don't get the Wire.

#justsayib

mrdeeds

Quote from: thewobbler on January 13, 2022, 07:40:54 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on January 13, 2022, 07:38:10 PM

If you enjoyed Suits that much it probably explains why you don't get the Wire.

#justsayib

Haha fair enough, I did enjoy the season of the Wire set in the school but that was about it.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

PMG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 13, 2022, 02:25:50 PM
I would have love hate up pretty high. I thought it was fantastic.
Wholeheartedly agree, brilliant show.

nrico2006

Quote from: PMG1 on January 14, 2022, 12:17:01 AM

There are a few shows that I enjoyed as much, if not more, than many others and for some reason don't include them due to how they are perceived, for one reason or another.  24 is one of them, which I sort of exclude due to the far fetched nature of some aspects of it, but is it not all down to simply how enjoyable a show is.  The snobs out there will factor in screenplays/writing etc. something that the West Wing is lauded for.  But is it better/more enjoyable than 24?  Same thing with Love/Hate, because its small time compared to the big US/global shows, I definitely can't say that there were any shows I felt were better than Love/Hate.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Taylor

Quote from: ONeill on January 13, 2022, 09:51:45 PM
Fleabag featured highly.

Thought it was totally over-rated.

Actually not even over-rated - just shite

JohnDenver

Series 3 of Ricky Gervais' After Life released today. I enjoyed the first 2. Lots of dry humour, and also underlying messages and meaning to the show. Looking forward to watching the new episodes.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: JohnDenver on January 14, 2022, 11:53:54 AM
Series 3 of Ricky Gervais' After Life released today. I enjoyed the first 2. Lots of dry humour, and also underlying messages and meaning to the show. Looking forward to watching the new episodes.

Haven't watched S3 yet but the highlight of me in S2 was the actress from One Foot in the Grave (Margaret, the wife) playing a blinder as a cranky aul wan in a nursing home who was 100.

Pure gold.

Watching Mayor of Kingtown at the moment. Tis ok.

Dopesick was superb.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 14, 2022, 09:13:01 AM

There are a few shows that I enjoyed as much, if not more, than many others and for some reason don't include them due to how they are perceived, for one reason or another.  24 is one of them, which I sort of exclude due to the far fetched nature of some aspects of it, but is it not all down to simply how enjoyable a show is.  The snobs out there will factor in screenplays/writing etc. something that the West Wing is lauded for.  But is it better/more enjoyable than 24?  Same thing with Love/Hate, because its small time compared to the big US/global shows, I definitely can't say that there were any shows I felt were better than Love/Hate.

That first sentence... Are you James Joyce?

I also enjoyed Love / Hate
Hasta la victoria siempre

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 14, 2022, 09:13:01 AM

Yes, of course, appreciating good writing in a show is "snobbish". I find Gogglebox and First Dates can be quite enjoyable. That doesn't stop them being complete and utter shite.

HiMucker

What's The Last Kingdom like on Netflix? Thinking of diving in to that, seems to have got good reviews.

Jeepers Creepers

Ozark season 4 is coming Next week on Netflix. Highly recommend anyone who hasn't watched to get involved from the start. Just finished Dopesick on star. But jumpy back and forth for me but what a story of Big Pharm and the drug Oxycontin. You will understand Americas suspicion of Big pharma is not unfounded after watching this.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 14, 2022, 12:55:45 PM
Ozark season 4 is coming Next week on Netflix. Highly recommend anyone who hasn't watched to get involved from the start. Just finished Dopesick on star. But jumpy back and forth for me but what a story of Big Pharm and the drug Oxycontin. You will understand Americas suspicion of Big pharma is not unfounded after watching this.

Didn't realise Ozark is out next week, another great show.

Dark Waters another film with Mark Ruffalo shining a light on on the rotten nature of big pharma.