62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

ned

Quote from: JimStynes on May 07, 2019, 10:25:19 AM
Quote from: screenexile on May 06, 2019, 11:38:08 PM
Quote from: clarshack on May 06, 2019, 11:11:20 PM
Can't believe folk don't want Mourinho. The man is box office and would be able to attract some decent players and the ten would be guaranteed. It wouldn't be guaranteed under NL.

Agree!! Might even make them competitive in Europe again. . . Do Celtic think they're Barcelona??

f**k me wasn't that long ago Ronnie Deila was the manager FFS!

My thoughts exactly. I laughed when I read people saying he's a terrible choice after saying a few weeks ago that they need a big name manager like Brendan. They don't come much bigger than José and people still aren't happy. Ffs he was one of the best managers in the world and I'd say he'll do well with Celtic. Celtic fans are hard to please. What a statement of intent from the board but I don't believe it. I can't see José going to the Scottish league.

There is history! His Porto team were experts in cheating and time wasting. Long memories.
That said if we can entice a manager of his calibre it would be a big step beyond the rat in terms of stature.

Kickham csc

Quote from: ned on May 07, 2019, 01:38:30 PM
Can't believe folk don't want Mourinho. The man is box office and would be able to attract some decent players and the ten would be guaranteed. It wouldn't be guaranteed under NL.

Agree!! Might even make them competitive in Europe again. . . Do Celtic think they're Barcelona??

My thoughts exactly. I laughed when I read people saying he's a terrible choice after saying a few weeks ago that they need a big name manager like Brendan. They don't come much bigger than José and people still aren't happy. Ffs he was one of the best managers in the world and I'd say he'll do well with Celtic. Celtic fans are hard to please. What a statement of intent from the board but I don't believe it. I can't see José going to the Scottish league.

There is history! His Porto team were experts in cheating and time wasting. Long memories.
That said if we can entice a manager of his calibre it would be a big step beyond the rat in terms of stature.

Celtics fans have high standards, it's not good enough to win, they want to win playing the Celtic Way. The next manager appointment needs to be committed to a playing style that can align to the Celtic Way

Celtic, Liverpool, Man. Utd and Barca are all similar, the fans want the game played in a certain manner. Arsenal, Chelsea, Porto etc, want to win, and generally don't care how the team does it. Look at the 1:0 period for Arsenal, Porto's cheating, Chelsea's CL win with extremely defensive tactics.

JimStynes

Quote from: Kickham csc on May 07, 2019, 01:44:12 PM

Celtics fans have high standards, it's not good enough to win, they want to win playing the Celtic Way. The next manager appointment needs to be committed to a playing style that can align to the Celtic Way

Celtic, Liverpool, Man. Utd and Barca are all similar, the fans want the game played in a certain manner. Arsenal, Chelsea, Porto etc, want to win, and generally don't care how the team does it. Look at the 1:0 period for Arsenal, Porto's cheating, Chelsea's CL win with extremely defensive tactics.

The list of Celtic managers over the past 20 years, not exactly Pep Guardiola style managers and wouldn't have exactly played the Celtic way. It'll not happen anyway but he's one of the biggest name managers in the world and I would welcome him with open arms to secure the 10 in a row. I wouldn't be putting any big money on to win the 10 in a row at the minute and It's lucky Rangers are so bad.

Baile Brigín 2

The guy needs a purist job to prove he is not a cheque book manager, because he isn't getting a huge job after United. I think he is leveraging, but plan b is 2 successful years.

But it could also he Desmond throwing smoke at another candidate, Jose is interested etc.

Kickham csc

Quote from: JimStynes on May 07, 2019, 02:14:51 PM

The list of Celtic managers over the past 20 years, not exactly Pep Guardiola style managers and wouldn't have exactly played the Celtic way. It'll not happen anyway but he's one of the biggest name managers in the world and I would welcome him with open arms to secure the 10 in a row. I wouldn't be putting any big money on to win the 10 in a row at the minute and It's lucky Rangers are so bad.

If you look at the past twenty or so years, the managers brought in initially had the team playing the traditional freeflowing passing game, to obvious various degrees of success. Some of these hires were risks, and didn't work out, some did
Brendan Rodgers- Free flowing football- great coach
Ronny Deila - Free flowing football- not so great coach
Neil Lennon - Pragmatic Football- aggressive style- Good coach
Tony Mowbray - Not there long enough
Gordon Strachan- Pragmatic Football- aggressive style- Good coach
Martin O'Neill - Pragmatic Football- aggressive style- Great coach
John Barnes- Free flowing football- not so great coach? Lack of investment
Jozef Venglos- Free flowing football- great coach, not there long enough
Wim Jansen - Free flowing football-  great coach, not there long enough
Tommy Burns - Free flowing football- great coach, not there long enough

JimStynes

Copied from wikipedia but none of those managers have anywhere near the CV of the following:

Porto
Primeira Liga: 2002–03, 2003–04
Taça de Portugal: 2002–03
Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2003
UEFA Champions League: 2003–04
UEFA Cup: 2002–03

Chelsea
Premier League: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2014–15[229]
FA Cup: 2006–07[228]
Football League Cup: 2004–05, 2006–07,[228] 2014–15
FA Community Shield: 2005[228]

Inter Milan
Serie A: 2008–09, 2009–10
Coppa Italia: 2009–10
Supercoppa Italiana: 2008
UEFA Champions League: 2009–10

Real Madrid
La Liga: 2011–12
Copa del Rey: 2010–11
Supercopa de España: 2012

Manchester United
EFL Cup: 2016–17
FA Community Shield: 2016
UEFA Europa League: 2016–17

The Celtic way is a bit of a myth to some extent. They are playing in a poor league and are usually miles ahead of everyone. I couldn't see Jose saying right lads 'let's park the bus' against Livingston. Celtic fans demand goals because they're miles head of everyone in terms of budget and players. If Celtic were in the Premier league we wouldn't be able to play that way. Mourinho hasn't been as good in his latter years but jesus christ for Celtic fans to be talking about turning him down is ridiculous. He would be able to attract bigger names to the club for a start. Celtic fans want a big name and it doesn't come much bigger than him. All shit talk anyway, I would be very very surprised if he went to Celtic.

trailer

Imagine JM stoking up tensions in Glasgow. Place would be on fire after the first derby. I'd expect the Scottish Police to block his appointment.

tyroneman

Did Jose not adapt his methods a little at Madrid and ended up with a record goals scored total for La Liga?

Not all out attack but certainly a lot more entertaining

The football under Lennon is hardlly scintillating..........

Hound

Quote from: Kickham csc on May 08, 2019, 12:09:57 PM

If you look at the past twenty or so years, the managers brought in initially had the team playing the traditional freeflowing passing game, to obvious various degrees of success. Some of these hires were risks, and didn't work out, some did

I thought MON was regarded as a super motivator but not a great coach (and did very little coaching)?

Anyone remember why was Jansen sacked? Or did he walk? Maybe I'm misremembering, but he seemed to be really good, and then all of a sudden he was gone and never heard tell of again!

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: JimStynes on May 07, 2019, 02:14:51 PM

Point of order.

Barnes was given huge backing. Scheidt and Berkovic were about £6m each.

bennydorano

Think Win Jansen fell out with Fergus McCann and/ or Jock Brown. The football under Tommy Burns was my favourite era, some glorious football but unfortunately Andy Goram was about too.

Great servant and all that Lennon is and has been I'd like to see a change myself. Can't see Mourinho coming tbh

general_lee

Mourinho would be brilliant. His record speaks for itself.

That said I quite like Lennon and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he was to stay on.

ned

Quote from: Hound on May 08, 2019, 04:16:47 PM

I thought MON was regarded as a super motivator but not a great coach (and did very little coaching)?

Anyone remember why was Jansen sacked? Or did he walk? Maybe I'm misremembering, but he seemed to be really good, and then all of a sudden he was gone and never heard tell of again!

He will be forever revered for stopping ten IAR and for signing Henrik.
Fall out with Brown and McCann. Brown had fanciful ideas about his status and importance.

Insane Bolt

Catch yourselves on.....more chance of Moyes than Mourinho😳

illdecide

My thoughts on JM are...

His last few clubs have shown his mojo has gone and he's on the wane. He probably earns about £6-£7m a year and is used to getting £150m a year to spend which will never happen at Celtic (never ever), having said all that and the flip side of the coin is he has unbelievable experience and may just be looking for something different with a new challenge but still remain at a big club.

Now for the reality...

JM will have better offers on the table than Celtic, he'll earn twice as much somewhere else and have buckets to spend too. It's hard to know if there was a story in the first place and if there was it was probably done to show other clubs wanting him that he's in demand and get your fingers out.

Whatever is to happen it needs to happen ASAP just to bring a bit of stability to the team and let the players know who the gaffer is, I do believe Neil Lennon is right for Celtic at this time. There are no risks with him and he knows his stuff, give him the job and £20m to spend on 5-6 quality players (for Scotland) and lets see what he gets in for the dosh.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch