The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: jcpen on January 07, 2024, 03:22:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2024, 02:45:20 PMStart light and improve technique before moving up!

Back injuries common enough with poor form
I bought a 12kg and 20kg. 12 seems a bit light but still sore after swinging it.

12 is plenty to get rhythm right..

My wife does two kettle bell classes a week, mixed in other stuff and she uses two separate weights for different drills, 20kg is tough enough to work repetitive drills
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: jcpen on January 07, 2024, 12:26:31 PMBought a few Kettlebells there last week. I'm sure my form is brutal but I'm as sore as anything after using them.
Is this down to my form or just getting used to swinging them around?

possibly a bit of both. There will be good instructional videos on youtube in relation to form. 12kg and 20kg are def enough to give you a good workout. After a while can maybe build the mass up if you feel like you need it. Depending on the movement I use kettlebells anywhere between 16kg and 40kg

AustinPowers

I walk fairly regularly  (3 to 3.5 miles)

Lately, I've been getting pains  top of both feet and a few inches  up the front leg muscles

Never had this before , and I normally do  a lot of walking ( with some jogging thrown in).

I  always do warm up and stretch before , and warm down  after as well . Wearing same trainers as well.  It's quite  annoying , I've had to  cut short the walks a couple times lately

Any advice?

An Watcher

Shin splints? 

If this is what it is you might want to change your footwear.  Used to get this back in the day when my football boots, trainers weren't great

AustinPowers

Quote from: An Watcher on February 08, 2024, 07:12:42 AMShin splints? 

If this is what it is you might want to change your footwear.  Used to get this back in the day when my football boots, trainers weren't great

I got shin splints  in my last year at minor level and the year after ,  but I don't recall it annoying the top of my feet. It was mainly the legs , and only   when I was running.  (Boots might have been a factor, as you say)

Not been troubled  with it since  then , and I've done an awful lot of running/walking since.

Will monitor things  in  the coming days and  weeks, see if things change

imtommygunn

This will seem like an odd suggestion but sit on your feet to stretch it. Wear no shoes when you're doing it and point your toes backwards. I find that good for stretching out the front of your calves and round your ankles.

AustinPowers

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 08, 2024, 12:59:02 PMThis will seem like an odd suggestion but sit on your feet to stretch it. Wear no shoes when you're doing it and point your toes backwards. I find that good for stretching out the front of your calves and round your ankles.

Yes , I've heard that helps.  I've done that a  couple of times recently . Will keep doing it and see  if I get any joy

jcpen

Compression boots, worth the money or not?
Not Tufll or from Laois

Armagh18

Quote from: jcpen on March 17, 2024, 06:15:59 PMCompression boots, worth the money or not?
No. they're ok but wouldnt justify the outlay imo

Nanderson

Quote from: jcpen on March 17, 2024, 06:15:59 PMCompression boots, worth the money or not?
Depends what you are after them for. If you have everything else in order i.e workout, recovery, nutrition, they may be good for a marginal gain. For the average Joe they probably aren't worth the money when there are other strategies to optomise recovery

manfromdelmonte

Go stand in a lake for 20 mins

jcpen

And if I don't have a lake nearby?
Not Tufll or from Laois

majestic

Quote from: AustinPowers on February 07, 2024, 11:31:01 PMI walk fairly regularly  (3 to 3.5 miles)

Lately, I've been getting pains  top of both feet and a few inches  up the front leg muscles

Never had this before , and I normally do  a lot of walking ( with some jogging thrown in).

I  always do warm up and stretch before , and warm down  after as well . Wearing same trainers as well.  It's quite  annoying , I've had to  cut short the walks a couple times lately

Any advice?

Have a quick google about chronic compartment syndrome and see if your symptoms match up. I struggled for years with this until in a physio for another reason and on the treadmill it flared up.