dublin7

Quote from: rosnarun on February 19, 2021, 10:35:56 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on February 19, 2021, 07:11:39 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 18, 2021, 07:25:56 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on February 18, 2021, 03:46:30 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 18, 2021, 03:38:59 PM
Dublin 4 rugger types who have no interest in "Gah, bogball or stickball"

Yep.

Ryle Nugent was head of sport for years, wanted to promote the " team of us" " Irelands main sport" to his friends and ilk. Now its a guy from Monaghan who has a GAA background and played it but you have to get by these guys first:

https://about.rte.ie/inside-rte/rte-executive-board/

You also have Simon Coveneys brother on the board.

I think all sports are pissed off with RTE. There is no rugby on RTE of any description so thats not it

True, Nugent was there for years though and his focus was Rugby, that has changed now tbf. Anyway point still stands. Its a clique and near enough family style business.

As for rugby, Women's, team of shes...
Far more to do with Rugby's greed thank RTE Policy that's keeping Rugby Off air.
So is LOI  the only Elite sport Rte shows now?

or will Pollyanna on a pony that her daddy paid millions fpr  or a lord sliding down the side of a hill on a silver tray  still cut it at Olympics

Virgin/Eir Sport outbid RTE for the 6 nations/Pro 14 rights so while you call it greed most people would call it a sensible business decision.

LOI clubs don't get a cent from RTE/FAI for any games on TV (Delaney deal).

RTE actually have very little live sport now other than the GAA and the Irish football team euro/world cup qualifier games. You would have thought that would mean they would put more into the GAA coverage, but it's still the same stale format they've used for years

TheGreatest

A bit off topic, why dont they have or use the background crowd noise for the soccer matches? Is it cost or what?

Evil Genius

Quote from: dublin7 on February 19, 2021, 12:26:16 PM
RTE actually have very little live sport now other than the GAA and the Irish football team euro/world cup qualifier games.
I'm not sure of the exact deal, but RTE/BBC/ITV etc only have soccer internationals because UEFA/FIFA mandate that the games (or at least some of them) are on free-to-air TV.

Definitely the case with tournament Finals.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 19, 2021, 07:32:50 PM
RTE actually have very little live sport now other than the GAA and the Irish football team euro/world cup qualifier games.
I'm not sure of the exact deal, but RTE/BBC/ITV etc only have soccer internationals because UEFA/FIFA mandate that the games (or at least some of them) are on free-to-air TV.

I think this is the reason. The internationals and the League of Ireland games come together as package.
Perhaps there GAA could look at this model and say to RTÉ that if they want the All Ireland final that they have to try harder with lesser games.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Amazon Prime is good value, so wouldn't mind seeing them take over the GAA season, and the GAA benefitting massively from the finance that would come with it.  I'd go the whole hog and sell Amazon the naming rights ... Amazon Croke Park ... and secure the GAA financially for many years to come.

JoG2

Google Park, Murdoch Field ("Where We All Belong") both have a nice ring to them too . Would it be an idea to ask the volunteers the length and breadth of the country which billionaire they'd like to pay to see the games they've created? Surely that would be fair enough?

balladmaker

Quote from: JoG2 on February 20, 2021, 10:42:26 AM
Google Park, Murdoch Field ("Where We All Belong") both have a nice ring to them too . Would it be an idea to ask the volunteers the length and breadth of the country which billionaire they'd like to pay to see the games they've created? Surely that would be fair enough?

What is the alternative in another year when gate receipts are likely to be zero .... with a 34m deficit in 2020, the current deals with RTE and Sky don't seem to be covering the financial requirements of the association.  So why not have Amazon onboard, GAA have the product, only makes financial sense to get what they can from it during these pandemic times ... unless of course RTE wish to to massively increase their payment, and keep all games free to air.

balladmaker

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 19, 2021, 03:33:22 PM
A bit off topic, why dont they have or use the background crowd noise for the soccer matches? Is it cost or what?

No idea, but I'm glad they don't, would rather watch the games in the context of their real atmosphere than with it dubbed over with the fake crowd.

Rossfan

How will poor Johnny up the mountain see Amazon?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JoG2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 20, 2021, 11:17:35 AM
How will poor Johnny up the mountain see Amazon?

F**k Johnny and his mountain

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on February 19, 2021, 07:49:29 PM

I think this is the reason. The internationals and the League of Ireland games come together as package.
Perhaps there GAA could look at this model and say to RTÉ that if they want the All Ireland final that they have to try harder with lesser games.

This model is a disaster for the LoI though. It was a Delaney idea. I understand there is a difference in that if Waterford v Tipp is shown Waterford wouldn't get paid in contrast to soccer but the FAI trouser every cent and I read somewhere that Rovers lose 1,000 (c€12,000) on the gate when a game is televised. Sponsors are the only winners.

I strongly doubt Amazon will be paying game changing money but streaming is the way forward.

The Economist had a thing a while ago that Amazon see sport, any sport as an advertising vehicle. At the moment PSG games pitchside advertising changes for the country in question. A viewer in Boston, Bordeaux, Belfast and Bejing will have different companies scroll past. Amazon plan to target you specifically.

So stop googling dildo prices if you plan on having people round.

rosnarun

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2021, 12:43:36 PM

This model is a disaster for the LoI though. It was a Delaney idea. I understand there is a difference in that if Waterford v Tipp is shown Waterford wouldn't get paid in contrast to soccer but the FAI trouser every cent and I read somewhere that Rovers lose 1,000 (c€12,000) on the gate when a game is televised. Sponsors are the only winners.

I strongly doubt Amazon will be paying game changing money but streaming is the way forward.

The Economist had a thing a while ago that Amazon see sport, any sport as an advertising vehicle. At the moment PSG games pitchside advertising changes for the country in question. A viewer in Boston, Bordeaux, Belfast and Bejing will have different companies scroll past. Amazon plan to target you specifically.

if the Clubs in the Chicken league cannot make income from their sponsors when they are getting free undeserved national coverage on the backs of the English lads that play for the 'National' team then they deserve even less than I thought
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rosnarun on February 23, 2021, 01:03:36 PM

if the Clubs in the Chicken league cannot make income from their sponsors when they are getting free undeserved national coverage on the backs of the English lads that play for the 'National' team then they deserve even less than I thought

Thats an interesting take away. And absolute bollocks.

Do yiu think that maybe sports coming together to stand up to RTE might be a better approach?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: JoG2 on February 20, 2021, 10:42:26 AM

Oh, stop it.

The money goes back into the association through the counties and clubs and you know it.

Nobody ever had a divine right to get in and see the games for free, and you know that too.

Taylor

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 23, 2021, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on February 23, 2021, 01:03:36 PM

Thats an interesting take away. And absolute bollocks.

Do yiu think that maybe sports coming together to stand up to RTE might be a better approach?

The GAA would be better off staying away from anything & everything to do with that 2 bit Mickey Mouse league