GAA finances and Amazon Prime

Started by TheGreatest, February 17, 2021, 12:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Referring to recent comments by Peter McKenna, GAA Commercial director.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-reveal-34m-loss-in-2020-following-worst-financial-year-in-association-history-40098230.html

I would say the same this year, i would say that another year or two of no gate receipts will be harmful.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-name-amazon-prime-among-new-players-in-mix-to-screen-games-as-34m-losses-revealed-40101115.html 

Potentially, we will need subscriptions to Sky Sport, EIR and Amazon Prime to watch games . . . . .

RedHand88

Hopefully. We could do with more decent pundits.

TwoUpTwoDown

Amazon Prime is actually fantastic value for their overall package. Unlike Sky, I think it would be much more affordable. Although the punditry on Sky is on another level to the RTE product.

Itchy

I dont understand RTE in all this. SKY have really put it up to them in terms of analysis etc but RTE still have so many advantages over SKY, yet they still do not make any effort to seriously fend off t he attack of pay per view companies. Their offering is shit, their league offering is shit and they lag way behind TG4 too. What sort of clowns run that company?

Rossfan

Dublin 4 rugger types who have no interest in "Gah, bogball or stickball"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Quote from: Rossfan on February 18, 2021, 03:38:59 PM

Yep.

Ryle Nugent was head of sport for years, wanted to promote the " team of us" " Irelands main sport" to his friends and ilk. Now its a guy from Monaghan who has a GAA background and played it but you have to get by these guys first:

https://about.rte.ie/inside-rte/rte-executive-board/

You also have Simon Coveneys brother on the board.

trailer

I long for Amazon prime to take over GAA and all other sports for that matter. Affordable. Accessible. Great coverage. The sky (excuse the pun) is the limit in terms of what they can do and I would imagine 3D sport viewing, were you sit in the best seat in Flushing Meadows or Old Trafford or Croke Park is only a few years away. I can't wait. RTE's offering is really, really poor.

Baile Brigín 2

An interesting way to describe Declan McBennett

Itchy

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 18, 2021, 03:46:30 PM

Yep.

Ryle Nugent was head of sport for years, wanted to promote the " team of us" " Irelands main sport" to his friends and ilk. Now its a guy from Monaghan who has a GAA background and played it but you have to get by these guys first:

Yes bit forget loyalty to one sport or another, from a pure business perspective they have been horrendous. As for rugby, sure they lost that too

Baile Brigín 2

Yep.

I think all sports are pissed off with RTE. There is no rugby on RTE of any description so thays not it

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Itchy on February 18, 2021, 01:26:10 PM
I dont understand RTE in all this. SKY have really put it up to them in terms of analysis etc but RTE still have so many advantages over SKY, yet they still do not make any effort to seriously fend off t he attack of pay per view companies. Their offering is shit, their league offering is shit and they lag way behind TG4 too. What sort of clowns run that company?

Anybody see the Twitter feed from the anonymous RTE employee a few years ago? All about people rolling in at 10:00, taking two hour lunches, going home at 3:00, unions pushing back on using modern equipment because the older labour-intensive stuff keeps more jobs for the boys, which makes everything look old and primitive. No motivation, no innovation, no competitive spirit.

Itchy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 18, 2021, 07:38:56 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 18, 2021, 01:26:10 PM

Anybody see the Twitter feed from the anonymous RTE employee a few years ago? All about people rolling in at 10:00, taking two hour lunches, going home at 3:00, unions pushing back on using modern equipment because the older labour-intensive stuff keeps more jobs for the boys, which makes everything look old and primitive. No motivation, no innovation, no competitive spirit.

Good old unions, its a long time since they protected the working classes in any industry.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 18, 2021, 07:25:56 PM

Yep.

I think all sports are pissed off with RTE. There is no rugby on RTE of any description so thats not it

True, Nugent was there for years though and his focus was Rugby, that has changed now tbf. Anyway point still stands. Its a clique and near enough family style business.

As for rugby, Women's, team of shes...

rosnarun

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 19, 2021, 07:11:39 AM

Yep.

I think all sports are pissed off with RTE. There is no rugby on RTE of any description so thats not it

True, Nugent was there for years though and his focus was Rugby, that has changed now tbf. Anyway point still stands. Its a clique and near enough family style business.

Far more to do with Rugby's greed thank RTE Policy that's keeping Rugby Off air.
So is LOI  the only Elite sport Rte shows now?

or will Pollyanna on a pony that her daddy paid millions fpr  or a lord sliding down the side of a hill on a silver tray  still cut it at Olympics
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: rosnarun on February 19, 2021, 10:35:56 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on February 19, 2021, 07:11:39 AM

Yep.

Far more to do with Rugby's greed thank RTE Policy that's keeping Rugby Off air.
So is LOI  the only Elite sport Rte shows now?

or will Pollyanna on a pony that her daddy paid millions fpr  or a lord sliding down the side of a hill on a silver tray  still cut it at Olympics

LoI clubs want free of RTE. They don't pay them, don't show the number of games they committed to and block other channels showing games they aren't interested in. And they have nixed the stream package. Clubs are now doing their own streams and will see 'RTE in court