International Match

Started by Lamh Dhearg Alba, October 14, 2008, 12:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

I see the squads have been named for the Shinty-Hurling internationals. A few more prominent players in the Ireland squad this year, and a few less in the Scotland one. Anybody here planning to go along? Senior match is going to be live on BBC 2 Scotland this year.

The GAA have announced the squads which have been selected for the Under 21 and Senior Hurling/Shinty Internationals against Scotland on Saturday next, October 18th. The Senior International takes place in Nowlan Park, Kilkenny at 3 pm while the Under 21 will be held in Durrow, Co. Laois at 12 noon.

The full Senior panel is:
1. Graham Clarke (Down)
2. Geoffrey Bermingham (Wicklow)
3. Paul Branniff (Down)
4. Eddie Brennan (Kilkenny)
5. Michael Burke (Meath)
6. Dermot Clarke (Sligo)
7. Edward Coady (Carlow)
8. Declan Coulter (Armagh)
9. Michael Gilmartin (Sligo)
10. James Glancy (Leitrim)
11. Shane Kavanagh (Carlow) (Capt)
12. Stephen Kelly (Wicklow)
13. Derek Lyng (Kilkenny)
14. Brendan McGourty (Down)
15. Brendan Murtagh (Westmeath)
16. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín (Cork)
17. Des Shaw (Carlow)
18. John Shaw (Westmeath)
19. Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny)

The Under 21 panel named by manager, Paudie Butler is primarily made up of players from counties which play in the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard Cup. The side is captained by John Rogers (Carlow) and also includes Sean Bourke from the host club, The Harps, as well as Keith Raymond (Sligo), man of the match in the Nicky Rackard Cup final and Niall Kilcoyne, son of Westmeath's only All-Star, David.

The Under 21 Panel is:
1. Sean Ennis (Down)
2. Sean Bourke (Laois)
3. David Donoghue (Meath)
4. John Doran (Carlow)
5. Peter Durnin (Meath)
6. Ronan Keddy (Wicklow)
7. Niall Kilcoyne (Westmeath)
8. Stephen Lambe (Monaghan)
9. Eoin Madigan (Mayo)
10. Eoin Mason (Wicklow)
11. Barry McFall (Antrim)
12. Andrew Neligan (Cavan)
13. John O'Malley (Kildare)
14. Keith Raymond (Sligo)
15. John Rogers (Carlow) (Capt)
16. Anthony Sheridan (Cavan)
17. Darren Whelan (Carlow)
18. Conor Woods (Down)

The Under 21 game takes place in Durrow, Co. Laois at 12 noon on Saturday next, October 18th. It is hosted by The Harps GAA Club in conjunction with the Durrow Tri-Centenary celebrations.

Scotland

SENIOR

Scott McNeil - Fort William
Stuart Mackintosh - Glenurquhart           
Alan Mackenzie - Lochcarron             
John Barr - Glenurquhart
Scott Campbell - Newtonmore           
Iain Mcdonald - Bute                     
Neil Robertson - Fort William
Shaun Nicolson - Lochaber               
Paul MacRae - Kinlochshiel             
Gary Innes - Fort William (Vice Captain)
Finlay MacRae - Kinlochshiel
Kenny Ross - Lochcarron (Captain)
Ruaridh Graham - Inveraray
Niall Macphee - Fort William           
John Macdonald - Fort William
John Stewart - Kilmallie
Hector Whitelaw - Bute
Andrew Corrigan - Glenurquhart           
Eddie Tembo - Glenurquhart       

UNDER 21

Donald Irvine - Kyles Athletic
Grant Irvine - Kyles Athletic
Roddie MacDonald - Kyles Athletic
Robbie MacLeod - Kyles Athletic
Gavin Stobbart - Oban Camanachd
Daniel Cameron - Oban Camanachd             
Andrew MacCuish - Oban Camanachd
Peter Carmichael - Kilmallie
Michael Rodger - Kilmallie
Stephen Morrison - Skye Camanachd
Ali MacLennan - Skye Camanachd
Mark Lawrie - Fort William
Drew Ferguson - Fort William
Chris Crawford - Inveraray
Lewis MacLennan - Glenurquart
Crisdean MacRae - Kinlochshiel
Mark Sproule - Lochcarron
Grant MacPherson - Glenorchy
Scott Henderson - Ballachullish

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on October 14, 2008, 12:46:42 AM
I see the squads have been named for the Shinty-Hurling internationals. A few more prominent players in the Ireland squad this year, and a few less in the Scotland one. Anybody here planning to go along? Senior match is going to be live on BBC 2 Scotland this year.

The GAA have announced the squads which have been selected for the Under 21 and Senior Hurling/Shinty Internationals against Scotland on Saturday next, October 18th. The Senior International takes place in Nowlan Park, Kilkenny at 3 pm while the Under 21 will be held in Durrow, Co. Laois at 12 noon.

Go wan Durrow!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Lecale2

I can't see Graham Clarke playing with the Ulster final the next day. Paul Braniff at full back?? Who picks this team?

youbetterbelieveit

I think it is live on TG4 aswell,

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 14, 2008, 08:25:12 AM
I can't see Graham Clarke playing with the Ulster final the next day. Paul Braniff at full back?? Who picks this team?

Eddie Brennan in at corner back as well with Sean O'g warming the bench, must be a bit of craic!!

Lecale2

Scotland won by a point. 1-10 to 1-09.

Zulu

Jesus but that's a brutal 'sport' and an utterly pointless exercise IMO.

Rossfan

Quote from: Zulu on October 18, 2008, 08:57:48 PM
.... an utterly pointless exercise IMO.

Sure you could say the same about the All Ireland Hurling championship
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

youngfella

I have played in one of hurling-shinty games. They are brutal, We ended up with about 20 odd broken hurling sticks. As pose to the football were they end up with that many broken bones.

Both the hurling and the football internationals are stupid, dangerous and pointless.
Pull hard and early

bredaghexile

lads i play shinty for the university i attend in scotland and it aint a brutal sport in fact u get more injuries playing hurling easily. its cos in shinty the marking is no-where near as tight as it is in hurling and the shinty lads dont get "stuck in" with each other the same way hurlers do when there is a breaking ball.
the reason the hurlers get so many broken sticks against the shinty lads is cos a shinty stick is more solid than a hurl (the scottish uni hurlers played the scottish shinty team as a warm match and yes we did a few sticks)
the only reason that its called brutal is cos when the hurlers get stuck they arent used to a shinty stick's swing which frankly takes everything with it, the shinty lads are just playing the way they usually play as are the hurlers but they both play completely different styles.

youngfella

Out of interest what uni are you with?
Pull hard and early

bredaghexile

youngfella im at dundee uni atm and i play for the gaa club at the uni as well as the shinty

youngfella

I would have played against you other week then. Is there many teams in the uni shinty?
Pull hard and early

bredaghexile

wat uni are u at youngfella?
i think there are 8 uni teams playing in the league for the shinty

youngfella

I was playing for LJMU, robbed in the final by a ref with a napier fetish! I dont thinks there's much more we could of done.

DO you understand the point in these shinty/hurling games? Its like comparing apples and oranges. They share some of the same traits but there different and its as comparing football and rugby, sure both use a ball!!

Im strongly against the idea of it
Pull hard and early