Eating Habits

Started by Maroon Manc, January 26, 2021, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Anyone attempted to go plant based/vegan for a period of time?

Initially the wife wanted to try it for a month so I said I'd give it a go and see if I'd feel any better. Well 3 months on and we've kept it up apart from eating meet once over xmas and having a couple of eggs although I'm still eating fish. I'd been suffering from dizzyness/brain fog the last 4 years and the cold and damp weather would tend to bring it on but have not suffered at all since I changed my diet which I suspect is down to giving up dairy and eating more vegetables. I've definitely got more energy and those those sweet urges I used to have have disappeared.

There might be the odd occasion where I'll have the odd bit of meat or have an egg but definitely don't see us going back to eating meat or dairy daily.

thewobbler

My thoughts on this.

1. Humans simply wouldn't have evolved from being primates and cave dwellers, without eating meat, fish and other animal produce.

2. So it's a completely unnatural thing to do. Maybe not a quite as unnatural as say cutting off fingers and toes to take a dump on evolution. But still, very unnatural.

lurganblue

I simply cant imagine living like this.  Each to their own of course. 

BennyCake

Yeah agree with wobbler.

I could go without meat in my dinner now and again but there's no way I'd do it full time. Have fish a couple times a week, and do like my veg and eat quite a few eggs as well. But it's unnatural to go without all those.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 26, 2021, 03:41:07 PM

Initially the wife wanted to try it for a month so I said I'd give it a go and see if I'd feel any better. Well 3 months on and we've kept it up apart from eating meet once over xmas and having a couple of eggs although I'm still eating fish. I'd been suffering from dizzyness/brain fog the last 4 years and the cold and damp weather would tend to bring it on but have not suffered at all since I changed my diet which I suspect is down to giving up dairy and eating more vegetables. I've definitely got more energy and those those sweet urges I used to have have disappeared.

There might be the odd occasion where I'll have the odd bit of meat or have an egg but definitely don't see us going back to eating meat or dairy daily.

Paul Mannion switched to a vegan based diet a few years ago and said that when he was fully into it he noticed a major upturn in energy but it was a bit of a pain in so far as "go to" foods.

I've tried a few of these over the years, I went Paleo at one stage (I'd say 90% strict). It was a great one for leaning out during those motivated phases of training but eventually I knocked it on the head. I was doing it purely for sports performance.

I tend not to eat much dairy or gluten anyway, just by my own tastes but I do notice if I took a bit of bread or something in a sandwich i'd feel very heavy or sluggish in the hours following - I'm sure that is partially psychological.

screenexile

Quote from: BennyCake on January 26, 2021, 04:15:48 PM
Yeah agree with wobbler.

I could go without meat in my dinner now and again but there's no way I'd do it full time. Have fish a couple times a week, and do like my veg and eat quite a few eggs as well. But it's unnatural to go without all those.

I would kind of like to try it now and again. I eat a lot of meat and I love it and it doesn't cause me any GI issues but it doesn't feel right to eat it for lunch and dinner every day I should really be eating more plant based.

I'm a serious plain eater though and like my food so don't want to waste meals on food I can eat but have to struggle through so salads don't appeal but I think I'll try some meat alternatives the next while if I can find something I like and try to incorporate it a day or 2 a week.

Also what if I turn into one of those Vegan pricks who posts all their meals online and goes running everyday... feel free to shoot me if that happens!  ;)

laoislad

A lot of days I'd eat meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I definitely eat too much of it and should cut back purely for health reasons.
Could never see myself give it up entirely though. I could never see myself not eating a medium rare striploin  again.. not possible.

I watched that Game Changers on Netflix recently and while it wouldn't change my mind it certainly was interesting albeit a pretty one sided biased show.

Wouldn't mind trying some Vegan or Vegetarian dinners if anyone had any recommendations.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

dublin7

Quote from: laoislad on January 26, 2021, 04:30:26 PM
A lot of days I'd eat meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I definitely eat too much of it and should cut back purely for health reasons.
Could never see myself give it up entirely though. I could never see myself not eating a medium rare striploin  again.. not possible.

I watched that Game Changers on Netflix recently and while it wouldn't change my mind it certainly was interesting albeit a pretty one sided biased show.

Wouldn't mind trying some Vegan or Vegetarian dinners if anyone had any recommendations.

Homer Simpson summed it up best for me - Unless there's a dead animal on my plate it's not a proper meal.
I eat meat pretty much every day and couldn't give it up.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 26, 2021, 04:18:57 PM

Paul Mannion switched to a vegan based diet a few years ago and said that when he was fully into it he noticed a major upturn in energy but it was a bit of a pain in so far as "go to" foods.

I've tried a few of these over the years, I went Paleo at one stage (I'd say 90% strict). It was a great one for leaning out during those motivated phases of training but eventually I knocked it on the head. I was doing it purely for sports performance.

I tend not to eat much dairy or gluten anyway, just by my own tastes but I do notice if I took a bit of bread or something in a sandwich i'd feel very heavy or sluggish in the hours following - I'm sure that is partially psychological.

I work from home all the time anyway but would find it difficult If was out and about and I'd have to be very prepared by bringing food with me. Pubs/Restaurants have all been shut since I switched so not sure what I'll eat when I'm in one.

Since my early 20's I'd felt tired or sluggish after every lunch/dinner I had, dads a coeliac so naturally I gave that a go but lost a load of weight I didn't have to lose.

I suffer from gilberts syndrome which had never bothered me until 4 years ago when I started to suffer from really bad headaches and brain fog, had some really long periods of brain fog since where it lasted for months. Should have given up dairy then as there's plenty of advice online that recommends it, feeling great the last 3 months which is the most important aspect for me so will be continue to keep at it.

Look-Up!

Every so often might give up meat for lent and cut out sweets/chocolates/treats so end up eating more greens and fruits. Definitely would notice a difference but that could be down to eating less shite in general.
Have to say though first steak after Easter would bring a tear to your eye so wouldn't ever think of giving meat up for good. Also you do notice that eating on the go or grabbing something quick is a real pain if meat is not an option. You definitely need to be more organised with your meals.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 26, 2021, 04:42:10 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 26, 2021, 04:18:57 PM

I work from home all the time anyway but would find it difficult If was out and about and I'd have to be very prepared by bringing food with me. Pubs/Restaurants have all been shut since I switched so not sure what I'll eat when I'm in one.

Since my early 20's I'd felt tired or sluggish after every lunch/dinner I had, dads a coeliac so naturally I gave that a go but lost a load of weight I didn't have to lose.

I suffer from gilberts syndrome which had never bothered me until 4 years ago when I started to suffer from really bad headaches and brain fog, had some really long periods of brain fog since where it lasted for months. Should have given up dairy then as there's plenty of advice online that recommends it, feeling great the last 3 months which is the most important aspect for me so will be continue to keep at it.

Kinda a bit of a no go in Ireland. But giving up dairy completely makes you feel a whole lot better with a lot more energy. It's subtle, but there is definitely a better feel good factor when it's out of the body. I think so anyway. I accept it's sacralige in Ireland though.

Denn Forever

Indian food is your friend.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tonto1888

Quote from: thewobbler on January 26, 2021, 03:52:46 PM
My thoughts on this.

1. Humans simply wouldn't have evolved from being primates and cave dwellers, without eating meat, fish and other animal produce.

2. So it's a completely unnatural thing to do. Maybe not a quite as unnatural as say cutting off fingers and toes to take a dump on evolution. But still, very unnatural.

1. Is there any evidence to back this up?

2. What's more natural. Eating plants growing around you or deciding to eat another living being?

To be clear. I'm not vegan or even veggie. I eat all the meat.

Milltown Row2

The odd time I have an Indian takeaway, can't remember the last Chinese takeaway I've had, must be 10 years.

Fresh food cooked, mixture of meat fish and chicken throughout the week.

Have done the odd veg week or two only. It's just more difficult to find the right mix and prepare it but if there was no meat available I wouldn't miss it..

I'm not going to change to veg and feel a moderate mix of goods is good enough for you.

Flavour is my thing for food, if it's got great textures and flavour I'll enjoy it.

Chocolate is my biggest downfall unfortunately and I keep trying to reduce it, but its a feckin drug!

Finally Wine! My beer consumption has dropped by about 90% and red wine consumption increased, weekends only and I try to leave at the least a glass or more in the bottle before bed!

There are very few things lately which are enjoyable, good food though is a bonus during this shit storm.. enjoy it, we don't have much time left
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Look-Up!

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 26, 2021, 05:22:14 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 26, 2021, 03:52:46 PM
My thoughts on this.

1. Is there any evidence to back this up?

2. What's more natural. Eating plants growing around you or deciding to eat another living being?

To be clear. I'm not vegan or even veggie. I eat all the meat.
Pretty sure I've seen more than one documentary about point 1. Basically the jist was consuming of animal proteins led to a rapid brain development in our early ancestors.
Impossible to answer point 2 but plants are another form of life no matter how distanced from us. Plus habitat has a huge part to play in diet. No surprise to see traditionally vegetarian diets in places like India where climate and soil quality would have made an abundance of a wide variety of fruit and vegetables readily available. Would have been impossible to survive and evolve in the more northern climes without access to meat.