Cork v Donegal Semi Final

Started by All of a Sludden, August 05, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

All of a Sludden

Cork can be every bit as cynical as Donegal. Should be a cracker.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Collins

Going to be incredible game of hard football.

Cork go in as rightful favourites, they are pretty much a complete side with better footballers.

Just think the blanket defence 3.0 could eek this out for Donegal.

cadence

it'll be another tight and hard fought dog fight, hopefully.

my one concern is how easily cork put kildare to the sword. admittedly, kildare seemed out of sorts today... wide after wide. really hard to know what went wrong wih kildare's attack it misfired so badly, and they just didn't seem to attack with enough supporting numbers when they had the opportunities.

but there's no denying cork were impressive. ruthless even. we'll fancy it though.

and now for the gaaboard cliche.... whoever wins will be hard to stop! 

All of a Sludden

Cork went to sleep for the second quarter, they will need to be on their game for the entire 70 minutes if they are to beat Donegal.  It may not be one for the purists, but I am really looking forward to this one.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

babarino

Cork have that physical element that will count against Donegal. Cork should make the final.

...and if my predictions are as accurate as this weekend's, Donegal will do it.

eviemonkey

I thought Donegal were well worth their win today. They even threw in a mini-collapse at the end so they could win it twice, which probably made it all the sweeter. Kerry were a little bit unlucky in that their more senior players picked up untimely injuries when they did which disrupted their shape and rhythm but Donegal looked stronger when both teams had their full compliment.

Cork will probably not be able to beat Donegal the same way we beat Kildare. The running game up the middle will play into their hands. We need to be more clever and patient in delivering the ball to our better forwards to shoot for the posts. Sheehan is probably our best long-range shooter but was badly off-form today. Colm O'Neill and Kerrigan tried too many hail mary shots as well off their weaker foot today which is meat and drink to the Donegal system. Alan O'Connor hasn't replicated his league form in the Championship and will be lucky to hold off Pearse O'Neill.

Cork have conceded two goals in twelve games this year. If we can keep another clean sheet I would fancy our chances but there is still three weeks to prepare for what should be a fascinating game.

ONeill

Cork'll take McHugh's head off before five minutes have sounded. That'll win it for them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Ard-Rí

I picked Kerry to win today so there'll be nobody taking me too seriously here, but I think Cork will have the necessary  street smarts to overcome an impressive Tír Chonaill side.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Ard-Rí on August 05, 2012, 11:10:23 PM
I picked Kerry to win today so there'll be nobody taking me too seriously here, but I think Cork will have the necessary  street smarts to overcome an impressive Tír Chonaill side.

Tír Chonaill it isn't: Inis Eoghain (Inishowen) players are included in the side!  :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Orangemac

Corks style of play will play into Donegals hands. Lateral passing and breaking tackles, can see them getting frustrated as they did v Mayo last year.

Jim McGuinness has done an unbelievable job with Donegal. The system and work rate have been well documeted but he has turned the likes of Rory Kavanagh and Colm McFadden who were always good players on their day into players who will give an 8/10 performance every time. To beat Cork they will need Murphy to find a bit of form (still doesn't seem fully fit).

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 05, 2012, 11:14:17 PM
Quote from: Ard-Rí on August 05, 2012, 11:10:23 PM

Tír Chonaill it isn't: Inis Eoghain (Inishowen) players are included in the side!  :P ;)

Good catch.  ;D
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Clinker

Cork, Mayo and Dublin must be hoping against Ireland getting a Gold in the Boxing.
G'wan John Joe, Michael and Paddy! Sicken the three of them!

EC Unique

The Irish News must not think much of Cork! They have Donegal in the Final ;D

ck

I was at the Cork game yesterday and was not as impressed as many on here. The goals came from Kildare mistakes and Kildare just fell apart. Kildare have been exposed for what they really are, an average enough side who are fit and strong.

Cork have better players than Donegal, in fact Donegal have a few pretty average players but Donegal would be favourites in my eyes. They nose in front and stay there. They'll frustrate Cork like never before and wear them down.
In saying all that I'd dearly love to see Donegal get hammered as I detest the game they play but respect their endevour. Up Cork.

Dirk Diggler

That was dreadful stuff in the second game yesterday, the future of gaelic football is bleak if a team like Donegal go on and win the All Ireland as others will inevitably copy it. Kerry are no strangers to playing "puke football" themselves, but that was unlike anything they'd faced before. Dublin are almost as bad ( they were the "saviours of gaelic football" last year when they only played 12 men behind the ball as opposed to Donegal's 14. I sincerely hope that neither of those teams win through in their semi-finals as if the showpiece game of gaelic football is contested between these two negative teams, it will turn people off football in their hundreds of thousands. For the sake of the game. lets' hope Mayo and Cork contest the final.