Author Topic: Brawl at Wicklow U15 match  (Read 5125 times)

quit yo jibbajabba

• View Profile
Re: Brawl at Wicklow U15 match
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2021, 07:18:13 PM »
"Alright lads the clubs been fined £500 yis all know who was at the match yis know who the gobshites were so ye can sort this fine out amongst yourselves"

Silver hill

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2021, 11:36:05 PM »
IMO, there should never be a monetary fine used as a sanction in the GAA. Completely counterproductive in an amateur sport.
Close a pitch for 12 months, life bans if applicable, dock league points by all means.
The most effective one Iíve seen is if a club is thrown out of championship for a year. That tends to put manners on people.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2021, 12:03:34 AM »
https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wicklow/sport/gaa/gaa-clubs-attempt-to-heal-rift-following-weekend-brawl-40943795.html

LOL-both teams were scheduled to meet this coming weekend in a minor final, but that has wisely been postponed

Silks the clown calling for a 5 year ban and fines for those involved

Probably the best sanction would be to ban their supporters from attending games for a year. With the advent of required ticketing for club games, it would be very easy to implememt

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2021, 12:36:26 AM »
If it's the case that the offending persons were associated with Carnew, then I'm very disappointed to hear & see it to put it mildly. Back when the Feile na nOg was in Tyrone in 2004 we hosted their girls football team and they were a decent bunch (at least then anyway). I recall some of their players coming back up to visit us over the following few summers from the friendships formed at the Feile.
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

Eire90

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2021, 08:45:02 AM »
Americans ask you all the time do Irish people hate the British

I tell them that the Irish probably hate the people living in the next village over way more than they hate the British

Ireland is a very tribal society and the GAA is a perfect outlet for some of the aggressions that would formerly have been settled via faction fighting

Iíve heard stuff drug up at matches that happened decades ago and had nothing to do with football

and why would you hate someone because they come from another village are the gaa creating conflict where it should not

Eire90

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2021, 08:47:25 AM »
is a true a referee was a kidnapped at a game recently

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2021, 08:48:44 AM »

No its not, its an urban myth that I have never seen any evidence off.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2021, 08:51:45 AM »

I tell them that the Irish probably hate the people living in the next village over way more than they hate the British

Ireland is a very tribal society and the GAA is a perfect outlet for some of the aggressions that would formerly have been settled via faction fighting

Iíve heard stuff drug up at matches that happened decades ago and had nothing to do with football

and why would you hate someone because they come from another village are the gaa creating conflict where it should not

Again, this is mostly not true either. I have lived in many counties in small parishes and villages and while there is often intense rivalry on the football field this rarely manifests as "hatred" in everyday life. I don't know has Whitey lived in Ireland since there were parish faction fights in the early 1900s but this is not the case in my experience. Crowd trouble is very rare in the GAA, hence there is never segregation at our matches with supporters of different teams free to mingle.

Eire90

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2021, 11:33:48 AM »
if your disrespecting the ref then you not a true gael  or sportsman and probably playing for ego purposes to make you look like some sort of community tough guy.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2021, 11:34:30 AM »

Again, this is mostly not true either. I have lived in many counties in small parishes and villages and while there is often intense rivalry on the football field this rarely manifests as "hatred" in everyday life. I don't know has Whitey lived in Ireland since there were parish faction fights in the early 1900s but this is not the case in my experience. Crowd trouble is very rare in the GAA, hence there is never segregation at our matches with supporters of different teams free to mingle.

Iím not talking about cosmopolitans like you who have lived in many counties

Iím talking about the people who have never left their home parish who are always looking for something the feel slighted about

(And just because they hate each other doesnít mean they go flaking the heads off each other at every turn)

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2021, 01:25:34 PM »

Iím talking about the people who have never left their home parish who are always looking for something the feel slighted about

(And just because they hate each other doesnít mean they go flaking the heads off each other at every turn)

Thats a very small amount of people, mostly over 60 years old I'd say. Their flaking days are probably well behind them.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2021, 01:45:06 PM »

Thats a very small amount of people, mostly over 60 years old I'd say. Their flaking days are probably well behind them.

Thereís been serious flaking between supporters at tons of club and inter county teams over the past few years and it most certainly does not involve senior citizens

Tyrdub

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2021, 01:59:14 PM »

No its not, its an urban myth that I have never seen any evidence off.

No, its not a myth, it happened after a game in a Munster county

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2021, 02:09:57 PM »

Thereís been serious flaking between supporters at tons of club and inter county teams over the past few years and it most certainly does not involve senior citizens

I know there is plenty of flaking but my point is its not between fella that have never left there parishes as you have alleged. Not in the year 2021 anyway.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2021, 02:17:54 PM »

I know there is plenty of flaking but my point is its not between fella that have never left there parishes as you have alleged. Not in the year 2021 anyway.

Thereís tons of young people in every club whoíve never lived away from home or outside their own counties