Brawl at Wicklow U15 match

Started by The Wedger, October 11, 2021, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: JoG2 on October 12, 2021, 11:04:22 AM
Quote from: themac_23 on October 12, 2021, 10:54:00 AM
Someone phone the cops' wouldn't get away with that in the north  ;D . on a serious note, crazy scenes and im sure nobody involved got home and were proud of themselves. Heat of the moment red mist etc, but adults need to realise that kids will see their actions and feel its acceptable.

Seen someone on twitter saying that, parents shouldn't be allowed to take teams where their kids are playing, I dont know what world some people live in some clubs struggle to get anyone to take a team regardless and some only have mentors because their young lad or girl plays on the team. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. Personally id just like to see clubs themselves hammer the people involved regardless of who they are. Clubs have a duty of care to their members, not fair clubs being brought down by people acting the clown at games. Self policing is the way to go.

Self policing is the reason these things happen. CB's need to start coming down hard on teams. Sweep sweep and teams / players not taking their oil is rampant in the GAA
What's the solution here? Hard to prove anything from that video and it doesn't even show what kicked it off. And ridiculous to start throwing the whole team out for the actions of a few adults.

trueblue1234

Unfortunately this is going to happen and I think there's little the GAA can do to stop it. But they should have set processes in place for how the clubs deal with it. And even then it's going to be a nightmare if he said, she said, especially if the video doesn't capture everything.

The reason it will continue to happen is that the personnel change so regularly in underage. And no vetting process will capture the normally quite civil lad/ lady who turns into a complete idiot at the first mistimed tackle or bad call by the ref. I think it's an impossible task for the GAA as clubs are so stuck for managers at underage that they are usually just happy to get someone in.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

themac_23

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 12, 2021, 11:15:26 AM
Someone phone the cops' wouldn't get away with that in the north  ;D . on a serious note, crazy scenes and im sure nobody involved got home and were proud of themselves. Heat of the moment red mist etc, but adults need to realise that kids will see their actions and feel its acceptable.

Seen someone on twitter saying that, parents shouldn't be allowed to take teams where their kids are playing, I dont know what world some people live in some clubs struggle to get anyone to take a team regardless and some only have mentors because their young lad or girl plays on the team. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. Personally id just like to see clubs themselves hammer the people involved regardless of who they are. Clubs have a duty of care to their members, not fair clubs being brought down by people acting the clown at games. Self policing is the way to go.

Self policing is the reason these things happen. CB's need to start coming down hard on teams. Sweep sweep and teams / players not taking their oil is rampant in the GAA
What's the solution here? Hard to prove anything from that video and it doesn't even show what kicked it off. And ridiculous to start throwing the whole team out for the actions of a few adults.

Thats it, why punish a whole club for the actions of a few individuals? Self policing happens everywhere, look at soccer and when supporters are seen doing something or shouting something which is wrong, look at the reaction when a club bans them. If a GAA club turned round and said 'After the events at a recent game the club has taken internal disciplinary action and those involved have been dealt with' the club would go up in my eyes, also show others in the club that their actions will have consequences.

Tubberman

Quote from: themac_23 on October 12, 2021, 11:42:55 AM

Thats it, why punish a whole club for the actions of a few individuals? Self policing happens everywhere, look at soccer and when supporters are seen doing something or shouting something which is wrong, look at the reaction when a club bans them. If a GAA club turned round and said 'After the events at a recent game the club has taken internal disciplinary action and those involved have been dealt with' the club would go up in my eyes, also show others in the club that their actions will have consequences.

But everyone knows they wouldn't be dealt with. Just tell the county board its all looked after, then carry on as normal
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

themac_23

Quote from: Tubberman on October 12, 2021, 11:46:53 AM

But everyone knows they wouldn't be dealt with. Just tell the county board its all looked after, then carry on as normal

But then thats not what im talking about, im talking about clubs having the swingers to actually follow through with it. No point blaming the GAA or the county boards, its the clubs who should be being tough on members who are tarnishing their clubs name, if they dont care and are happy enough to let their club be dragged down all over social media etc then thats up to them, I know most clubs would rather avoid that

Milltown Row2

Every club has a code of conduct. If the club is not following that then they should be punished if something like that goes ahead. There is no mitigating factors that will make that incident ok, its wrong no matter what was said or done leading up to that video. You can't justify that in front of those kids, ever!!

Home games should be stripped and a fine, if there is no deterrent then what's going to stop it the next time?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: themac_23 on October 12, 2021, 11:52:16 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 12, 2021, 11:46:53 AM

But then thats not what im talking about, im talking about clubs having the swingers to actually follow through with it. No point blaming the GAA or the county boards, its the clubs who should be being tough on members who are tarnishing their clubs name, if they dont care and are happy enough to let their club be dragged down all over social media etc then thats up to them, I know most clubs would rather avoid that

There's a strong chance that the members involved in the scenes are committee men, coaches, sponsors, lifetime members, decorated players, etc.

That's what I'd expect us to be dealing with if it was my club involved.

It's remarkably easy to say "ban them forever" on a message board. Any fool with one finger can write that shit down.

It is though remarkably difficult and divisive to actually follow that code in the real world. I've a strong moral code, even strong opinions, and generally speaking I couldn't give a damn about what people think about me. Yet I would not pursue an internal club investigation for this. I like having one club in Ballyholland. It just wouldn't be worth it.

——-

The only way this can ever change is if the punishment meted out to a club (like banned from championship for 2 years) is so severe, that a club's members will both turn on those involved, and will self police it from everyone happening again.

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2021, 11:56:30 AM
Every club has a code of conduct. If the club is not following that then they should be punished if something like that goes ahead. There is no mitigating factors that will make that incident ok, its wrong no matter what was said or done leading up to that video. You can't justify that in front of those kids, ever!!

Home games should be stripped and a fine, if there is no deterrent then what's going to stop it the next time?

Fining teams is pure stupid....what local business would sponsor a team only to see that money handed over to the county board?

I have to laugh watching some of the games that are streamed online. People roaring and shouting at the referee at u12 games.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitey on October 12, 2021, 12:20:18 PM

Fining teams is pure stupid....what local business would sponsor a team only to see that money handed over to the county board?

I have to laugh watching some of the games that are streamed online. People roaring and shouting at the referee at u12 games.

That's up to the sponsors, what local business man would support a team that has hooligans
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 12, 2021, 12:26:21 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 12, 2021, 12:20:18 PM

That's up to the sponsors, what local business man would support a team that has hooligans

Tons of them would and do all the time

Itchy

Dont see how that is relevant to this. Sure wouldnt the parents be there watching it anyway and if they were of a mind to fight then they would fight. Clubs should be fined heavily I think and clubs would then be forced to weed out certain people out of their membership

tyroneman

Would certainly help if parents, mentors and players were all taken through the actual rules of the game at the start of each season.

The amount of noise from people shouting nonsense is unreal, on and off the pitch and is often the catalyst for things to start getting heated.

Armagh18

Quote from: tyroneman on October 12, 2021, 01:00:50 PM
Would certainly help if parents, mentors and players were all taken through the actual rules of the game at the start of each season.

The amount of noise from people shouting nonsense is unreal, on and off the pitch and is often the catalyst for things to start getting heated.
Yeah the rules half the time seem to cause issue. Players, refs, coaches and supporters alike aren't helped by the uncertainty around most of the them and the fact they seem to change every week depending on the ref or with certain refs with every play

City Dweller

Code of of conducts are all good.

Question is what should be the punishment be here (or for something similar)?  How is it administered ?

tyroneman

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 12, 2021, 01:26:58 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on October 12, 2021, 01:00:50 PM

Yeah the rules half the time seem to cause issue. Players, refs, coaches and supporters alike aren't helped by the uncertainty around most of the them and the fact they seem to change every week depending on the ref or with certain refs with every play

And the fact that many of the 'experts' on TV don't know them either