Author Topic: Brawl at Wicklow U15 match  (Read 4977 times)

Itchy

• View Profile
Re: Brawl at Wicklow U15 match
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2021, 04:31:44 PM »
A fine only punishes the clubs who struggle financially.

I agree with wobbler. The only way to have these people ostracised from their clubs is to piss the rest of the club off. A fine is unlikely to do that. A whole club championship ban will.

Ban the kids from playing cos their parents went fighting? All I saw in that video was kids in shock wandering around as adults thumped each other. Totally disagree with banning club from competing.

Itís not banning kids from playing. Itís banning clubs from competing.

They may mean the same thing to you. But theyíre not.

So explain it to me. How does a kid play football during a season when their club is banned from competition.

They donít.

But itís not the kids that are getting punished. Itís the club as a whole. Not the u15s. The real punishment is not to the kids, who can transfer, okay other sports, etc, but instead itís what happens to a club when all this is going on. Itís a proper punishment.

Whereas if any club-wide sanction is going to be met with ďwonít someone think of the children?Ē winning out the day, then there can be no such thing as a club-wide sanction.

Fines are not just a waste of time, but extraordinarily inegalitarian. Rich clubs will sign the cheques. Financial basket cases will refuse to pay, and eventually will win out with a sob story. The clubs in the middle get it rough, but never quite rough enough to start handing out internal sanctions.

On what grounds can a child transfer? This is the GAA not soccer. You are punishing everyone, not just the club. I understand the difficulties but I dont think that proposal is fair to innocent youth players.

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2021, 04:54:31 PM »
What about setting a lesson for kids that the GAA will not indulge or tolerate thuggery? That there are consequences, that the members are representing their club and the clubs are responsible for the conduct of their members?

Captain Obvious

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2021, 04:57:06 PM »
Some on the that video should be ashamed of themselves. The GAA should not hold back on the punishment given.

Duine Inteacht Eile

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2021, 05:30:15 PM »
A fine only punishes the clubs who struggle financially.

I agree with wobbler. The only way to have these people ostracised from their clubs is to piss the rest of the club off. A fine is unlikely to do that. A whole club championship ban will.

Ban the kids from playing cos their parents went fighting? All I saw in that video was kids in shock wandering around as adults thumped each other. Totally disagree with banning club from competing.

Itís not banning kids from playing. Itís banning clubs from competing.

They may mean the same thing to you. But theyíre not.

So explain it to me. How does a kid play football during a season when their club is banned from competition.

They donít.

But itís not the kids that are getting punished. Itís the club as a whole. Not the u15s. The real punishment is not to the kids, who can transfer, okay other sports, etc, but instead itís what happens to a club when all this is going on. Itís a proper punishment.

Whereas if any club-wide sanction is going to be met with ďwonít someone think of the children?Ē winning out the day, then there can be no such thing as a club-wide sanction.

Fines are not just a waste of time, but extraordinarily inegalitarian. Rich clubs will sign the cheques. Financial basket cases will refuse to pay, and eventually will win out with a sob story. The clubs in the middle get it rough, but never quite rough enough to start handing out internal sanctions.

On what grounds can a child transfer? This is the GAA not soccer. You are punishing everyone, not just the club. I understand the difficulties but I dont think that proposal is fair to innocent youth players.
It isnít about being fair on anyone. Itís about upholding standards in the association and eradicating this stain that follows us around. Itís about making clubs aware that they are responsible for every idiot who turns up in their name. If it takes a few sacrificial lambs to do it, bring it on, I say.

Or we can continue to treat everything with kid gloves and a bleeding heart as we always do but be outraged when these things happen over and over again.
Either we want it to stop or we donít.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2021, 06:09:37 PM »
Thereís a certain high profile GAA player who had made more than one appearance on the Late Late Show. Completely whitewashed the fact heís bitten, eye gouged and head butted opponents

Win at all costs

Rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2021, 07:30:59 PM »
Thereís a certain high profile GAA player who had made more than one appearance on the Late Late Show. Completely whitewashed the fact heís bitten, eye gouged and head butted opponents

Win at all costs

Meath man or possibly half the Meath team from the nineties.

Eire90

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2021, 09:07:53 PM »
bunch of idiots that think some local village rivalry is important no one cares in the bigger world but in their eyes they are the center of the universe.

TheGreatest

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2021, 09:35:57 AM »

Win at all costs

Meath man or possibly half the Meath team from the nineties.

Definitely must of been them. And a so called " legend " from that team you can include spitting.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2021, 11:43:31 AM »
What about setting a lesson for kids that the GAA will not indulge or tolerate thuggery? That there are consequences, that the members are representing their club and the clubs are responsible for the conduct of their members?

The lesson would be that they are being punished for other peoples thuggery, siege mentality and all that. The proposal by Wobbler I think was that there would be no football for U13s, U15s, U17s, U20s and seniors in both clubs for 12 months. I think that is grossly unfair and counter productive as it will drive kids away from the game. They cant simply transfer elsewhere (who would want to take the entire contents of one clubs underage team into their own for 1 year anyway!)

Fining maybe means nothing to some clubs, fair enough. But there has to be a different way than taking it out on the kids. Life bans for all those identified on the field fighting would be a good start.

Rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2021, 12:30:46 PM »
The blue & yellow supporters & mentors come out of this looking far worse than the Kilcoole supporters & mentors. A big fat ape dressed in all black clearly assaults a mentor with shorts dressed in green & yellow. The same mentor is assaulted by a big ape of a woman, who also calls him a pri"k. One of the mentors dressed in blue also assaults a supporter dressed in grey, pulls the top over his head & hits him a few slaps. Those 3 should be done for assault for starters. It was also a "D" Final for ffs.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2021, 02:09:25 PM »
Americans ask you all the time do Irish people hate the British

I tell them that the Irish probably hate the people living in the next village over way more than they hate the British

Ireland is a very tribal society and the GAA is a perfect outlet for some of the aggressions that would formerly have been settled via faction fighting

Iíve heard stuff drug up at matches that happened decades ago and had nothing to do with football

Rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2021, 02:55:16 PM »

I tell them that the Irish probably hate the people living in the next village over way more than they hate the British

Ireland is a very tribal society and the GAA is a perfect outlet for some of the aggressions that would formerly have been settled via faction fighting

Iíve heard stuff drug up at matches that happened decades ago and had nothing to do with football

78km from Carnew to Kilcoole so local rivals doesn't hold much water.

iorras

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2021, 05:14:36 PM »

Spot on
And the one eyedness of it, I've seen mentors from our club verbally abuse under age players, free takers for example. One Regularly gets sent off, bawling at the ref all the time, same man would start a fight in a phone box. Our gang tut tut and shake their heads as "hes one of ours" but nobody does nothing. A mentor from an opposition team ever does half of what our lad does and theirs outrage "disgrace, should be ashamed etc etc" The hypocrisy at times is unreal. I'm also involved with underage rugby and its generally not tolerated, two mothers abused a ref after an underage match recently, followed him to the dressing room shouting abuse at him. Club was fined 500 euro and the sanction was going to be increased if we didnt show that we had dealt with the parents, the mothers weren't club members so there wasn't much that could be done but the club had to send them letters telling them they werent welcome at games if they couldn't behave themselves and if it happened again their children would unfortunately be asked to play somewhere else. I know rugby is not GAA but if there's consequences to your actions people can generally find a way to  control themselves.

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2021, 05:48:16 PM »

Spot on
And the one eyedness of it, I've seen mentors from our club verbally abuse under age players, free takers for example. One Regularly gets sent off, bawling at the ref all the time, same man would start a fight in a phone box. Our gang tut tut and shake their heads as "hes one of ours" but nobody does nothing. A mentor from an opposition team ever does half of what our lad does and theirs outrage "disgrace, should be ashamed etc etc" The hypocrisy at times is unreal. I'm also involved with underage rugby and its generally not tolerated, two mothers abused a ref after an underage match recently, followed him to the dressing room shouting abuse at him. Club was fined 500 euro and the sanction was going to be increased if we didnt show that we had dealt with the parents, the mothers weren't club members so there wasn't much that could be done but the club had to send them letters telling them they werent welcome at games if they couldn't behave themselves and if it happened again their children would unfortunately be asked to play somewhere else. I know rugby is not GAA but if there's consequences to your actions people can generally find a way to  control themselves.

There's no "I know rugby is not GAA" about this.

An expectation for basic decency and self-control should be the minimum standard anywhere, in any situation.

Unfortunately people are reluctant to confront such behaviour, especially in a situation such as a local parish club where everyone knows each other, as you outline. Therefore, the leadership of the GAA at county level needs to step in and start dishing out suitable punishments to the clubs involved. There'd be a lot less indulgence of these wankers then, including within the clubs themselves once it was evident that everyone will suffer as a result of their bullshit.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2021, 05:56:23 PM »
J70, that approach from the rugby club would be quite fair to apply to this instance with a bigger fine and proof of clubs banning people involved.