Author Topic: Does Pat Spillane need apologise to Tyrone GAA?  (Read 11751 times)

rrhf

• View Profile
Re: Does Pat Spillane need apologise to Tyrone GAA?
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2021, 04:59:23 PM »
Spillane should be dropped to be honest, he started the role years ago when he just finished playing and was a well known figure but not many people under 40 would have ever saw him or O'Rourke play therefore they are pretty irrelevant now.
I think O Rourke is very readable in the papers. Now I would not find his punditry contributions on the Sunday Game that uplifting, and often amount to, it is a good game so it is, or something similar.   Spillane I think is an even better judge, as to whether it a a good game or not, he even uses great superlatives and in fairness at half time and full time he will always let the viewer know in case they have just tuned in without seeing the first half,  as to whether the game is good or not.  I think that is very important, particularly if a viewer has never watched a game of Gaelic Football  in their lives, to reassure the viewer that it is indeed a good game or a very good game..  or on a bad day to let them know if its a bad game.  These fellas know their audience does not watch the first half, but tune in a very traditional Irish way, to see if things were good, very good or bad...

God forbid there was a bit analysis used...

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2021, 05:17:38 PM »
Spillane should be dropped to be honest, he started the role years ago when he just finished playing and was a well known figure but not many people under 40 would have ever saw him or O'Rourke play therefore they are pretty irrelevant now.

They've had a good innings but I agree that they have definitely had their time. Anyone who can last that long and stay as relevant in the punditry game for that long has obviously done well for themselves but there comes a time where things have to move on.

In saying that, I wouldn't exactly have much faith in RTE in replacing them with better pundits especially given the fact that they appear to want to increasingly go for a bland and personality free zone.   

HiMucker

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2021, 05:21:36 PM »
I think O Rourke is very readable in the papers. Now I would not find his punditry contributions on the Sunday Game that uplifting, and often amount to, it is a good game so it is, or something similar.   Spillane I think is an even better judge, as to whether it a a good game or not, he even uses great superlatives and in fairness at half time and full time he will always let the viewer know in case they have just tuned in without seeing the first half,  as to whether the game is good or not.  I think that is very important, particularly if a viewer has never watched a game of Gaelic Football  in their lives, to reassure the viewer that it is indeed a good game or a very good game..  or on a bad day to let them know if its a bad game.  These fellas know their audience does not watch the first half, but tune in a very traditional Irish way, to see if things were good, very good or bad...

God forbid there was a bit analysis used...
;D

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2021, 05:30:10 PM »
Oírourke is worth keeping if he keeps having digs at Sean cavanagh for lying down  ;D

Oírourke isnít too bad but has maybe had his day to be fair. Spillane should be long gone. Only there for controversy.

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2021, 08:37:10 PM »
Oírourke is worth keeping if he keeps having digs at Sean cavanagh for lying down  ;D

Oírourke isnít too bad but has maybe had his day to be fair. Spillane should be long gone. Only there for controversy.

This is the same O Rourke who said he'd eat his hat if a player as bad as Brian Dooher won an All Ireland. A man who not only went on to win three All Irelands, but captained twice. And then went on to joint manage an All Ireland winning team. And O Rourke is still in a job. RTE is a clown show

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2021, 09:59:44 PM »
O'Rourke needs the RTE gig. He made bad decisions during the Celtic Tiger. He even got reminded of this live on air by Brolly once.  ;D

There is no one like Brolly to humiliate you on live TV about personal stuff.

So O'Rourke is theoretically working on RTE for the Bank. There is something satisfying about that.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 10:20:53 PM by From the Bunker »

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2021, 10:28:25 PM »
O'Rourke needs the RTE gig. He made bad decisions during the Celtic Tiger. He even got reminded of this live on air by Brolly once.  ;D

So O'Rourke is theoretically working on RTE for the Bank. There is something satisfying about that.

Jesus , youíre no  better than that  Brolly dick then. Sniggering at another mans misfortune. 

Never beat the deeler

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2021, 10:28:44 PM »

I have no gra for CO'R as a pundit, but that's a terrible post and I think you should remove it. You are talking about Brolly humiliating him live on air and at the same time being satisfied that the man is, apparently, in financial difficulty
Hasta la victoria siempre

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2021, 10:48:08 PM »
Jez lads he got very greedy, he got caught! The same lad is not afraid to criticise and snigger at  amateur players!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 10:59:58 PM by From the Bunker »

Gael85

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2021, 11:48:03 PM »
probably in a car park beside a knocking shop in Listowel

Pat Spillane must read this thread. Quoted this line in Sunday World column  🤣🤣🤣

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2021, 01:30:30 PM »
There's probably quite a few on here who never actually saw Spillane or O'Rourke play, might not cut it on TV but they were exceptional players, I seen Keith Barr cut O'Rourke in 2 with a shoulder / frontal charge, would put any man in the hospital, and, O'Rourke came on again 2nd half. On a team of hard men he was one of the toughest. Hence no great lover of players diving and play acting,

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2021, 03:09:01 PM »
There's probably quite a few on here who never actually saw Spillane or O'Rourke play, might not cut it on TV but they were exceptional players, I seen Keith Barr cut O'Rourke in 2 with a shoulder / frontal charge, would put any man in the hospital, and, O'Rourke came on again 2nd half. On a team of hard men he was one of the toughest. Hence no great lover of players diving and play acting,

O'Rourke would not like Spillane then!

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2021, 10:50:44 PM »
Thinking more of Big Sean