Cillian O'Connor wins Golden Boot Race

Started by Angus, September 24, 2015, 08:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

Mayo's O'Connor wins with an overall tally of 3-34 (43) whilst Fermanagh's Sean Quigley stands as the runner-up with 2-36 (42).

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2209151533-cillian-oconnor-wins-golden-boot-race/

Beffs

Ridiculous award, considering Brogan got all of his from play.

screenexile

Quote from: Beffs on September 24, 2015, 08:55:17 PM

Against ridiculously poor opposition...

Beffs

Mayo4Sam14

He scored a free in the final :b
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

From the Bunker

How much did he score in Away games?

Fear ón Srath Bán

These types of award will only carry any real significance when each team has to travel and traverse a similar path to whichever stage of whatever competition: cricket scores against any nondescript opposition, from whichever province, should not be the protected domain of a (traditional) provincially-protected few.

It really is a ridiculous set-up, almost as laughable as the disciplinary performance of Croke Park itself this year; we invite ridicule on a wholesale scale.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syferus

Christ lads. It's a Golden Boot award. It's straight forward a thing as there is in this muddled sport. Stop arguing about fairness. Silly season is in full swing.

Would have loved to have seen Quigley finish as top scorer.

rrhf

He really did win it if he count his shove on Cluxton. He wins The golden Dunder

ONeill

Have they always called it the golden boot?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

moysider

There is either an award for top scorer or not.

The criterion is simple. Who scores most in championship wins the award. That is the only consideration.  All scores are weighted equally. No use bleating about it, that is the way it is. The award does not take into account scores from play being more worthy or the quality of the opposition. Good luck to anybody trying to work on a realistic system for that. Like were scores v Kildare in Cork match more worthy than scores in Kildare v Kerry when Kildare imploded. Like how does one even go about appraising the quality of a team in the first place and then reviewing that from game to game?   

The award is what it is and doesn t mean that COC is 'better' than Quigley, Brogan etc. He happened to score more. So what?

Fair play to Cillian. Some of those frees were class and he stuck 2 fine goals from play I remember and a cool pressure penalty as well.

Look, I doubt any of us are doing backflips over this. The award is what it is though.

Captain Obvious

*An error in Cillian O'Connor's tally failed to add an extra point during an earlier game in the 2015 Connacht Championship meaning that the Mayo forward has been added an additional point leaving him on a final tally of 3-34 (43).

Can anyone confirm this and who was given the point instead at the time?

Shrewdness

Cillian O'Connor deserves the award for the simple reason that he scored more than anyone else. Quigley scored his total in 6 games, whereas O'Connor only had 5 games...However, that doesn't take away from the fact that Quigley had a great year.

nrico2006

Quote from: Shrewdness on September 25, 2015, 11:12:29 AM
Cillian O'Connor deserves the award for the simple reason that he scored more than anyone else. Quigley scored his total in 6 games, whereas O'Connor only had 5 games...However, that doesn't take away from the fact that Quigley had a great year.

I disagree.  This award simply rewards the person who ends up scoring the most frees. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rossfan

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 25, 2015, 11:14:02 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on September 25, 2015, 11:12:29 AM

I disagree.  This award simply rewards the person who ends up scoring the most frees.
So.... They all count in a game.
How many teams lose games bemoaning the lack of a decent 9 out of 10 freetaker?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM