Poll

?

?
1 (33.3%)
?
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Derry Club Football & Hurling  (Read 1445873 times)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club Football & Hurling
« Reply #5385 on: June 14, 2022, 11:20:13 AM »
Be no where near as many as the ulster final, travel distance. Saturday,

You're forgetting the bandwagon that has been hitched on.

A day out in Dublin, on Saturday, no work (for some) the following day. Only ourselves heading that direction.
Championship QF in Croke Park - was the 2007 QF the last time we had big C'ship game there?

Realistically its only another hour on down the road from Clones on better roads, without the tailbacks and hassles of Clones, Aughnacloy, Fivemiletown etc.

Could draw out more supporters, not less.

I was at the Semi final v Kerry 2004.  Very poor crowd and it was a Saturday but Kerry dont travel much unless its a final, different buzz this time. Paul Galvin destroyed us that day
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 11:23:12 AM by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe »

shawshank

• View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: June 14, 2022, 11:41:48 AM »
People also knew we hadn't a chance in hell of beating Kerry. This is different, there is no team on our side of the draw that we can't beat if we get it right on the day.

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: June 14, 2022, 11:54:45 AM »
People also knew we hadn't a chance in hell of beating Kerry. This is different, there is no team on our side of the draw that we can't beat if we get it right on the day.

We'd a decent run of games that year, after being beat by Tyrone. The only one I didn't get to that year was the Wicklow match.
And Muldoon did give us a bit of hope at the start of the Kerry game, but it was always going to be an uphill struggle.
Ulster League Champions 2009

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: June 14, 2022, 01:22:27 PM »

A day out in Dublin, on Saturday, no work (for some) the following day. Only ourselves heading that direction.
Championship QF in Croke Park - was the 2007 QF the last time we had big C'ship game there?

Realistically its only another hour on down the road from Clones on better roads, without the tailbacks and hassles of Clones, Aughnacloy, Fivemiletown etc.

I was at the Semi final v Kerry 2004.  Very poor crowd and it was a Saturday but Kerry dont travel much unless its a final, different buzz this time. Paul Galvin destroyed us that day

That game was on a Sunday. O'Sullivan ran the show for Kerry, incredible player

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

• View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: June 14, 2022, 01:59:06 PM »

Ah you might be right, I was down whole weekend, O'Sullivan was good but i couldnt believe Galvins running ability that day.

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: June 15, 2022, 12:11:18 AM »
Not that I been a season ticket holder recently, but having to go on ticketmaster with a free for all, instead of getting a centre block ticket would put a person of getting season tickets, it's no longer value for money anyway. Gaa could went through the clubs but always go with the cheaper/lazy option via ticketmaster who are not doing it out of their love of gaa, wonder their cut on tickets.

onefineday

• View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: June 15, 2022, 01:51:36 AM »

Ah you might be right, I was down whole weekend, O'Sullivan was good but i couldnt believe Galvins running ability that day.
Galvin was man of the match iirc. I'd never heard of him before! Crowd was high 30's or very low 40's - not many Kerry. Great qualifier run that year, think I saw them all, Wicklow included (and think we'd lost to Wicklow earlier that year in the league?).
Fermanagh v mayo replay? was on the Saturday.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 02:00:08 AM by onefineday »

Newbridge Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: June 15, 2022, 06:12:12 AM »

He was unreal that day ,From memory Frances McEldowney had the unfortunate task of trying to mark him.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: June 20, 2022, 10:03:41 AM »
Enjoy the week ahead and get the flags out. Proud day for Doire Gaels on Saturday no matter about results. We go in as Ulster Champions for the first time since 1998. A hard road back with fabulous work done behind the scenes at all levels to get Seniors and Minors to the top table again. Pride restored. Sin é, slán. Bain sult as an lá. Doire abú!

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: June 20, 2022, 11:24:21 AM »
Only just realised last night that the minor game is in Parnell Park and not in CP before the senior game.
WTF?
As if it's not expensive enough to travel, tickets etc but to expect Derry to buy two tickets for games in two different venues on the same day is ridiculous.

Keeping the dublin clubs in money can be the only excuse.

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: June 20, 2022, 11:28:01 AM »
Only just realised last night that the minor game is in Parnell Park and not in CP before the senior game.
WTF?
As if it's not expensive enough to travel, tickets etc but to expect Derry to buy two tickets for games in two different venues on the same day is ridiculous.

Did Derry Co. Board ever question this and did they get an answer?

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: June 20, 2022, 12:06:48 PM »
WTF?

No idea.
I can't think of any good reason for this.
It can't be a capacity thing, CP will not be a sell out for the 2 quarter finals.
The only extra support would be from Galway minors, and lets face it that's 2-3K at a real push. Loads of capacity in CP to manage that. Even 10K extra Galway fans would be no problem.

Dabh

• View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: June 20, 2022, 12:35:54 PM »
WTF?

No idea.
It can't be a capacity thing, CP will not be a sell out for the 2 quarter finals.
The only extra support would be from Galway minors, and lets face it that's 2-3K at a real push. Loads of capacity in CP to manage that. Even 10K extra Galway fans would be no problem.

There was some talk that they didn't want u17s playing in front of large crowds & having to deal with the pressures etc, which seems nonsense considering the Ulster Minor final was played before the main game.  If they did play it in croke park on sunday would there be many more than 10K in to watch it ?

The other semi between Kerry and Mayo is set for Tullamore on sat afternoon ... another venue that i presume suits neither county, and again could easily have been played prior to the senior games on sunday and would have suited both sets of supporters.

Would love to hear the reasoning behind these dates and venues.

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: June 20, 2022, 12:56:02 PM »
WTF?

No idea.

There was some talk that they didn't want u17s playing in front of large crowds & having to deal with the pressures etc, which seems nonsense considering the Ulster Minor final was played before the main game.  If they did play it in croke park on sunday would there be many more than 10K in to watch it ?

The other semi between Kerry and Mayo is set for Tullamore on sat afternoon ... another venue that i presume suits neither county, and again could easily have been played prior to the senior games on sunday and would have suited both sets of supporters.

Would love to hear the reasoning behind these dates and venues.

Yeah, I heard that it was it was young lads etc. and playing before bigger crowds could impact them.

But, as you say, to play before a sell out Ulster Final kind of debunks that myth.

Some of the GAA reasoning at times is crazy. Wish they'd juat come out and say why or what the reasoning is. At least that way, whether we agree or disagree, at least we know what the thinking is.

It's an 'amateur' sport but very amateur at coming to their decisions.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: June 20, 2022, 01:46:05 PM »
WTF?

Even worse for the Galway folks having to travel different days for the minor and senior games.