Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Nothing like countin chickens before they hatch  ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

time ticking away

canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

tyssam5

Real1995

Nice guys always finish second!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: bcarrier on August 03, 2008, 06:12:32 PM

Dublin v Wexford
Cork v  Kerry

semis

Feel even a tad like a total d**k?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

Quote from: Real1995 on August 17, 2008, 12:15:16 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2008, 07:19:29 PM
There'll be no Ulster teams in the semi's. Mark my words. ;)

;D

Should have factored in Dublins Tyronaphobia. I still firmly believe though, if it was a dry game it would have been a very different game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Puckoon

Whys that jinxy?

Id love to get the stats on completed footpasses, unforced turnovers and so on... Their basic skills were impeccable for the most part.

Tyrone scored 3-13 from play in those conditions - you think they would have scored more or less if it was a dry day? You think dublin would have scored more? Ill give you the weather in a "war of attrition" type game, where a defender slips, lets an attacker in for a soft goal and they win by 1 or 2 - but what in jaysus name difference would the weather and/or the availability of Alan Brogan have made yesterday?

Main Street

The old RTE adage "Tyrone glad for the rain-  the great leveller"  ;D

Puckoon

Quote from: Main Street on August 17, 2008, 07:21:01 PM
The old RTE adage "Tyrone glad for the rain-  the great leveller"  ;D

Well that particular shower (pardon the pun) are a whole nother discussion.

Hardy

I think the point is that bad conditions favour the more skillful team. Dublin's awful handling, fumbling, etc. were very noticeable yesterday, whereas to watch Tyrone, you wouldn't even know it was raining. FAr from being a leveller, bad conditions make it very hard for a team that struggles with the skills.

Jinxy

Exactly Hardy. Tyrones basic skills are better. Dublins game is built on power and speed. Get the ball in hand, take the man on, work an overlap etc. I lost count of the amount of times that a Dublin forward failed to hold onto a ball coming into his chest. What that does is it disrupts momentum. The runs that were made by the other forwards are now redudant because the original lad is still trying to secure possession. This meant that Dublin couldn't play their high-tempo game which relys more on athleticism than footballing ability. They also lost their primary scoring threat after 5 mins when Brogan had to go off. Don't get me wrong, Tyrone played fantastically well and adapted much better to the conditions. They played a very patient, clever game and rarely wasted possession but the defence hardly ever had to turn and run towards their own goals because the Dubs couldn't play their normal game. Better football brains and better tactics won the day, but I think the conditions also played a big role.

tyssam5

Quote from: Jinxy on August 17, 2008, 07:15:48 PM
Quote from: Real1995 on August 17, 2008, 12:15:16 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2008, 07:19:29 PM
There'll be no Ulster teams in the semi's. Mark my words. ;)

;D

Should have factored in Dublins Tyronaphobia. I still firmly believe though, if it was a dry game it would have been a very different game.

Aye sure it hardly ever rains in Dublin the Tyrone boys would be much more used to it.  ::)

Main Street

It's obvious about skills in wet weather. The RTE commentator used it for the opposite meaning as if it dumbed down the game to Tyrone's advantage.
That's what I thought Jinxy was doing, taking away from Tyrones performance after the Tyronephopia reference.

Such was Tyrone's total dominance that dry or wet it would not have made much of a difference. And such was Tyrone's dominance that it was more likely that they would have made greater use of a dry ball.

Jinxy

Tyronaphobia simply refers to the Dubs sh*tting themselves when they come up against them. Tyrone were full value for their win.