Hayes winding the Animals up again!!

Started by 5 Sams, May 04, 2008, 11:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Some fools on this board!
Hayes is surely only doing it to counteract the pro kerry drivel dished up by Spillane for some years. You have to question what motivates him to write this.  If in time it gets Pat Spillane to shut up or at least he monitors what he says then the counter - wally policy will have worked.  I am fully behind Hayes as he dishes it back to the Kerry men in spades.  Well done my Meath Friend!!!

Mike Sheehy

Pat spillane is just an antidote to the horse manure that passes for journalism in Ulster. Its almost comical how they are all "on message" when they have their annual digs at us.

In fact, I think its heroic how one county battles away against whole province every year.....the noble Kingdom constantly defending themselves against the Northern hordes.   

Mike Sheehy

QuoteWell done my Meath Friend!!!

Bet you weren't saying that in '96.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on May 06, 2008, 11:25:24 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 06, 2008, 10:53:53 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 06, 2008, 09:25:06 AM
I'd agree with him about Moynihan. Very good player, but didn't merit the orgasmic adulation of various commentators who elevated the simplest of his handpasses to the level of genius. If you were picking a half back line from the last 10 years would he be in it?

Ybsolutely. Yes. First name on it.

Ok then, pick your best half back line from the last 10 years? Do it for 20 years as well (just humour me ;D).
[/quote ]

Apologies for not getting back earlier Jinxy. Neglected this thread this last few days. Ok then the last 10 years? Last 20 years?  How about I ll go the last 30 years+. Short list for starters of those I saw:

Paudí. Tomás O Sé, The Horse, The Pony, Kevin Moran , Tom Spillane, Martin O connell. Henry Downey, Seán Óg, McGeeney, Paudí Lynch, James Nallen, Tommy Doyle, Conor Gormley, Seán Lowry. Philiip Jordan. Aidan O Mahoney.

The simplest and probably the best option would be just pick the best 3 Kerrymen and leave it at that. I honestly believe that the best line that I could pick from above would be Tomás O Sé, Seamus Moynihan and Paudí Lynch.

Moynihan the best half back I saw and one of the best players [ top few] I ever saw. Thing is some of his best years were spent at full back in what must be one of the best examples of craven management of all time. I love Paudí but it was ridiculous to take his best player out of the game by playing him at full back [ leaving a perfectly adequate fb like Michael McCarty on the bench] and I honestly believe it cost Kerry another All Ireland at least and Paudí an early exit [ that and his early and unnecessary discarding of Maurice Fitz]. Any thoughts ye Kerrymen?

Main Street

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 07, 2008, 08:26:53 PM
Pat spillane is just an antidote to the horse manure that passes for journalism in Ulster. Its almost comical how they are all "on message" when they have their annual digs at us.

In fact, I think its heroic how one county battles away against whole province every year.....the noble Kingdom constantly defending themselves against the Northern hordes.   
Blaming Ulster for Spillane ???   nice try :)

Kerry are isolated in their own province never mind Ireland.
It's sad when you haven't even got friends in your own province.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIt's sad when you haven't even got friends in your own province.

Its not a question of being "friends". We just dont see Cork winning a football or hurling AI as something for us to boast about and use as a stick to beat others with. You Ulster bies are different though. If Tyrone win an AI you get Armagh lads crowing and if Armagh win you get Tyrone lads crowing..not to mention the Derry, Antrim etc lads that jump on the bandwagon.

We respect the achievements of our neigbours but have too much self-respect to try and jump on their bandwagon.

Kerry Mike

From Hayes's article....

QuoteThe prospect of winning a three in-a-row is always something nice and fanciful to have in the back of your head as a footballer or a manager but it isn't necessarily something which can bind a team together. It's tantalisingly in view, but it's not going to be the crucial motivating factor once this summer gets into gear.

Three-in-a-row, in other words, is no substitute for one worthy, hell-bent opponent that a team genuinely fears and deeply respects. I wish Kerry well.

Show us your 3-in-a-row medals as a player or a manager Mr Hayes.

Kerry are driven by winning and nothing else, does not matter who you play and bate along the way.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mike Sheehy

QuoteMoynihan the best half back I saw and one of the best players [ top few] I ever saw. Thing is some of his best years were spent at full back in what must be one of the best examples of craven management of all time. I love Paudí but it was ridiculous to take his best player out of the game by playing him at full back [ leaving a perfectly adequate fb like Michael McCarty on the bench] and I honestly believe it cost Kerry another All Ireland at least and Paudí an early exit [ that and his early and unnecessary discarding of Maurice Fitz]. Any thoughts ye Kerrymen?

In hindsight, yes, I would tend to agree. At the time we had a big problem at full-back and Mike McCarthy wasn't as much of a known quantity at that stage so I can  see where paidi was coming from,  but you are right, a player that good is wasted when used as a stopgap.

Looking at the broader picture, I think the bigger failing in those years was that the thinking of Paidi and JOC was governed too much with the "football has changed, we have to adapt" thinking. There was no doubt we had to adapt but when you are too focussed on your own weaknesses you are not putting the other guy under pressure and trying to expose his weaknesses. Putting Seamus at full-back sort of crystalized that thinking.

Jinxy

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 08, 2008, 08:22:47 PM
From Hayes's article....

QuoteThe prospect of winning a three in-a-row is always something nice and fanciful to have in the back of your head as a footballer or a manager but it isn't necessarily something which can bind a team together. It's tantalisingly in view, but it's not going to be the crucial motivating factor once this summer gets into gear.

Three-in-a-row, in other words, is no substitute for one worthy, hell-bent opponent that a team genuinely fears and deeply respects. I wish Kerry well.

Show us your 3-in-a-row medals as a player or a manager Mr Hayes.

Kerry are driven by winning and nothing else, does not matter who you play and bate along the way.

Lord save us. Do you remember the glory days of the late 80's and the 90's? Ye didn't bate many along the way then.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteLord save us. Do you remember the glory days of the late 80's and the 90's? Ye didn't bate many along the way then.

It just didnt feel right to win All Irelands with Stock Aitken Waterman providing the backing track.

Main Street

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 08, 2008, 08:15:36 PM
QuoteIt's sad when you haven't even got friends in your own province.

Its not a question of being "friends". We just dont see Cork winning a football or hurling AI as something for us to boast about and use as a stick to beat others with. You Ulster bies are different though. If Tyrone win an AI you get Armagh lads crowing and if Armagh win you get Tyrone lads crowing..not to mention the Derry, Antrim etc lads that jump on the bandwagon.

We respect the achievements of our neigbours but have too much self-respect to try and jump on their bandwagon.
Actually Mike, it's you who is obsessed with the Ulster thing and you who brings it up first, context or no context.
It's you who comes out  (through the half door, after knocking over your spitoon, stagger up the boreen ;D)
suffering from another bout of Ulsterphobia.

Mike Sheehy

If you read this thread you'll see that it was Saffron Sam that first brought the kerry v Ulster dimension to the discussion so the obsession lies entirely with you lot.

...no surprise though, you Ulster bies never let the facts get in the way of your agenda.

tyssam5

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 09, 2008, 08:17:12 PM
If you read this thread you'll see that it was Saffron Sam that first brought the kerry v Ulster dimension to the discussion so the obsession lies entirely with you lot.

...no surprise though, you Ulster bies never let the facts get in the way of your agenda.

Check the 'Greatest Provincial Rivals' thread see who brings it up there first?
Still hurts Mikey? Don't be lying now.

stevecw

Don't listen to anything Hayes says.Thinks he knows it all, but as proved as Carlow manager he had no idea.
I remember being at the do where he was introduced as Carlow manager back in 2005. He promised us that Carlow would win Leinster under his reign! There were more giggles & laughs trying to be held back that night. But he sounded full sure, that he was so good he could take at the time the 3rd worst co in Leinster to win it out!
We went to Croker in 1st round & lost to Wexford, ok bet Offaly after that..but then got destroyed by Limerick in qualifiers on tv.
His 2nd year after once again doing nothing in league, we beat a bad Wicklow side by 9 pts, then lost out badly again to Laois. After Hayes saying the week before that we were at Laois standard & we had every chance.
He was way too optimistic without knowing what he was at.
He walked away from the Carlow job after the loss to Laois in 2006 saying he'd never manage a county team again, saying it was too much pressure & wasn't for him.
So now he takes the easy option to slag off teams while staying well clear of getting involved as manager etc anymore!