TYRONE GAA CLUB BANS PLAYERS FROM SOCCER

Started by TYRONE2008, January 17, 2008, 04:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inisceithleann

Quote from: UpDromore on January 17, 2008, 07:57:27 PM
They are div 3 this year,
I disagree with the Footy on Saturday, Gaelic on Sunday comment, I think its should be no problem at all to Play a soccer game on Saturday and a Gaelic game on Sunday..if your fit at all this shouldnt be a problem with performance.

Totally agree. Myself and several others used to play way up in places like Spamount and Churchtown in the Fermanagh & Western before driving straight back down the road to a football match and playing again. It might only have been reserve football, but it kept us fit.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

FermPundit

I see no reason why you can't play both sports at the weekend. Surely both sporting clubs in Fintona can come to some agreement and compromise over player availability. If you stop a guy playing soccer it will lead to resentment and annoyance which won't benefit the GAA club. In most major towns in the north GAA clubs are struggling with the attraction of soccer to younger lads. If you threaten to blame them from playing soccer you run the risk of players deciding to choose soccer over gaelic which will potentially have a negative effect on the GAA in urban areas.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

gerry

in this day and age you have to give 100% to what ever sport you follow.  gone are the days when you played soccer on a saturday then a gaa game on a sunday, its either one or the other.

btw. always suspicious when someone new starts a tread without posting a comment.

its either a member who has not the balls to says what they think, or in this case an anti gaa  person trying to stir some s**t.

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

FermPundit

In my own club if the management were to ban guys from playing soccer we'd lose half the team. Compromise and discussion is the only solution IMO

full back

Quote from: gerry on January 17, 2008, 11:34:35 PM
btw. always suspicious when someone new starts a tread without posting a comment.

its either a member who has not the balls to says what they think, or in this case an anti gaa  person trying to stir some s**t.

Though the exact same thing myself
Only 2 posts & specifically on this topic ::)

AZOffaly

The problem is not with the games I'd say. It may be down here, but in the North is all junior soccer played on a Saturday? If that's the case, then games would only clash very rarely. The real problem is with training. There's only so many days in the week, and with challenge matches and training, that's where the total commitment comes in.

his holiness nb

When I was younger the local soccer team banned guys from playing GAA as well as soccer.

This was purely because guys were turning up to socer games knackered or injured. I am sure this is the same and not the scandal our freind would like to think.

Tyrone2008 - two posts trying to highlight controversy within the GAA.
Dundalk2007 - posts only one one topic spreading rumours of controversy within the GAA.

Hang on till I do the math............

Tyrone2008=Dundalk2007= shit stirrer with chip on shoulder about the GAA.

Ask me holy bollix

Bensars

I wouldn't take it too seriously.

The article was by Tommy Nethery ( soccer journalist for the herald, used to play for Dergview ). Lets just say that Gaelic culture would not have been high on the the Dergview curriculum ;)

The same Mr Nethery has been having a pop at every conceivable opportunity at GAA for about 2 years now. I did voice my annoyance at this and mentioned it to the editor, who didnt agree  and felt he was very neutral.

Thats why i refuse to buy the paper now.

feetofflames

I know one soccor playing fella whos team were that staunch he wasnt allowed to play for another wee team just down the road.  Wayne rooney I think his name was.
Chief Wiggum

his holiness nb

The crux of the issued is the reasons for not wanting your players playing other sports.

If a soccer club does it, its accepted that its so lads dont show up injured or tired. If a GAA club does it, its presumed to be something far more sinister.
Ask me holy bollix

orangeman

zoyler

Of course if any of these lads were good enough to play for the county they might never  be allowed play for the club at all!!

rrhf

Each sports club has the right to make their own decsision  - the soccor club could ban the lads from playing gaelic and vices versa.  Its up the individals, rather than whining on internet boards, to make their own decision on this.  The club must take decisions for their own good first, before the individual,  as must the individual.  It affects some sports clubs more than others - a sensible accomodation can normally reached between the 2 sports clubs but if thats not the case and if ones laughing at the other then obviously this action was deemed neccessary - a non story for everyone else bar those in Fiontana

FermPundit

Apologises if this is being discussed on another thread. I've had a look but I couldn't find it.

I was speaking to friend who says that in this week's Ulster Herald there was an article regarding the ongoing row in Fintona between the GAA and soccer clubs.

It says that Aidan McCarron has left Fintona Pearses and is intending to transfer to Enniskillen Gaels. Does anyone have any more info on this?

stew

I played on a sawker team with some members of this board and I always thought it bizarre that amatuer sportsmen wre being told they would not be considered for selection if they played sawker on a saturday. I lost count of the amount of times I would see the harps lads playing under assumed names so that their names wouldnt be in the paper.

The Harps didnt want them playing however they turned a blind eye to it for the most part.

It got interesting one week when one of the lads forgot who he was supposed to be and had to think of his name when about to get sent off and his brother who was on the line coughed up the name of the player he was pretending to be. the ref didnt like that too much hence the stewards enquiry afterwards.
The offender suddenly remembered who he was and walked to the line, he played the next day for the harps and had a stormer in corner back.  :)

I could see past this if a player was getting paid but to me it is ridiculous to stop a player from staying fit if he wants to play another sport.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.