TYRONE GAA CLUB BANS PLAYERS FROM SOCCER

Started by TYRONE2008, January 17, 2008, 04:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TYRONE2008

FINTONA PEARSES HAVE BANNED PLAYERS FROM PLAYING SOCCER THIS YEAR IF THEY WANT TO PLAY GAELIC.
I THINK THIS IS A DISGRACE. I THOUGHT BANING PLAYERS FROM SOCCER AND RUGBY ENDED IN THE 70S.

ziggysego

Do you have proof or a reference to this? You can't make unfounded allegations here.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Caps lock off.

And without knowing the details, would it be that they said, 'Lads with all the training we're doing, and the games, ye'll have to make a choice'?

It's not only GAA clubs that do this. Teams nowadays demand nearly total commitment. Sure look at the Inter County dual player spats that spring up all over the country. And it's not just the GAA. Many moons ago Athlone Town youths approached me to come in and play. The catch was I would have to give up the GAA because they wanted me exclusively playing soccer. I refused and they told me that they didn't want me in that case.

I thought it was fair enough then, and if the club are asking for total commitment from everybody, the soccer would probably clash for training and some matches, thus the choice has to be made.

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

brokencrossbar1

supersarsfields

I had heard a rumour about this aswell. I know Fintona get hit very bad with a lot of boys playing both sports. I'm sure it was more a case, like Az said, of just saying that they want total deadication for the year.

I wonder will this bring Bummer back into the fold?  ;)

Star Spangler

Sounds like a fuss about nothing. 

QuoteThe club secretary refused to elaborate on what was or wasn't discussed or adopted at the meeting although when asked if the club had banned soccer players he said, "No, we have not. They must be misreading the situation. I don't really want to discuss the situation but we are not banning soccer players. The situation is being misread."

Louth Exile

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 17, 2008, 05:12:06 PM
Welcome back DUNDALK2007!

You beat me to it BC1

No doubt we will see this story on the pages of the Mail on Sunday this coming weekend  ::)

Move along there folks, no story here
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Star Spangler

ziggysego

I hear Armagh GAA have banned Gaelic Football this year.
Testing Accessibility

clarshack

it says fintona are in division 2. they are in division 3 this year arent they?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

qub la la la

Quote from: TYRONE2008 on January 17, 2008, 04:38:50 PM
FINTONA PEARSES HAVE BANNED PLAYERS FROM PLAYING SOCCER THIS YEAR IF THEY WANT TO PLAY GAELIC.
I THINK THIS IS A DISGRACE. I THOUGHT BANING PLAYERS FROM SOCCER AND RUGBY ENDED IN THE 70S.

I think they're right. theres too many boys playing soccer, getting hurt and then the gaa clubs end up paying for the physio etc.. and there's no way a lad can go out on a saturday and play a match then go at it full tilt on a sunday. The soccer definately takes away from the performance on a sunday.

UpDromore

They are div 3 this year,
I disagree with the Footy on Saturday, Gaelic on Sunday comment, I think its should be no problem at all to Play a soccer game on Saturday and a Gaelic game on Sunday..if your fit at all this shouldnt be a problem with performance.