Derry v Tyrone - Celtic park Sun 22nd May

Started by tyroneman, April 25, 2016, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: tyroneman on April 29, 2016, 03:00:16 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on April 25, 2016, 07:23:38 PM
Will be terraced,  either behind the goal towards Brandywell or opposite main stand,  either accessible with the same ticket

I assume the bluebell stand is the long one opposite the seats and Brandywell is behind the nets?

without being 100%, I'd assume the same. Both are accessible with the same ticket as you can easily walk between them. I've got the same tix

Champion The Wonder Horse

24 years ago today since Plunkett called "My ball" as a 45 dropped into the Tyrone square.

Jeremiah O

I was surprised to hear that Derry have played Down and Fermanagh in recent challenge matches.According to a lot of Derry boy's I've been talking too,they'll struggle to field a team against us!! We're being set up for the perfect ambush by those cute Derry hoors!
Unconquered and unconquerable

screenexile

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 03, 2016, 06:53:56 PM
24 years ago today since Plunkett called "My ball" as a 45 dropped into the Tyrone square.

Was a fine day!!! We played them in the Championship the week or two after and beat them easily again as well. Peter the 'great unless I'm marking McKeever' Canavan!

Fuzzman

Like Mr Dooher, having gone to school in Derry and having a good few Derry friends at college during the 90s this game used to be high intensity rivalry with the 1995 game probably the best ever.

This year it seems to be a bit of a damp squib build up with Derry seeming to have lost their mojo during the league.
Damien Barton seemed to have got them riled up a bit at the start of the year but has the gloss gone off that.
Is the strong Derry club scene more important to most Derry people than the intercounty scene or is it all just a big show to catch us AGAIN in the long grass.
Tyrone do have a terrible away record against Derry but I think we will have too much for them this time. We've been winning matches without setting the world on fire so hopefully this match will get a rise from both sets of players.

Will Eoin Bradley be back or is he a soccer only man now?

lenny

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 06, 2016, 10:09:28 AM
Like Mr Dooher, having gone to school in Derry and having a good few Derry friends at college during the 90s this game used to be high intensity rivalry with the 1995 game probably the best ever.

This year it seems to be a bit of a damp squib build up with Derry seeming to have lost their mojo during the league.
Damien Barton seemed to have got them riled up a bit at the start of the year but has the gloss gone off that.
Is the strong Derry club scene more important to most Derry people than the intercounty scene or is it all just a big show to catch us AGAIN in the long grass.
Tyrone do have a terrible away record against Derry but I think we will have too much for them this time. We've been winning matches without setting the world on fire so hopefully this match will get a rise from both sets of players.

I heard Eoin Bradley is flying and scored 1.6 in a recent challenge game. His 6 game suspension in the soccer was timely for the gaa season.

Fuzzman

That's great news. We'll need something like him to liven it up.

From today's Irish News.
DERRY manager Damian Barton has urged the media not to whip up a frenzy of ill-will ahead of his side's Ulster Football Championship clash with arch-rivals Tyrone.

He anticipates a sporting contest, unblemished by scenes of indiscipline.

Tensions have never been far from the surface during previous encounters this season, with Barton handed an eight-week ban as a result of an incident during the Dr McKenna Cup final.

"I can't see there's any sparks gonna' fly particularly between Derry and Tyrone as any other contest.

"Again, I just hope the media don't go down that route, and whip this up to something it's not," he said.

"I think the media has exaggerated it out of all proportion. It obviously makes good press, it sells papers, and at 80p a pop it's not bad.

"But what do you want to do? Do you want to look back at the history of the GAA and confrontation, and what this game is all about. It's a physical contest between not just 15 players, but beyond that. Isn't that the beauty, or one of the beauties of this game?"

Barton also dismissed suggestions that Ulster teams adopt a more physical, confrontational approach to the game than those from the southern provinces.

"I think it's a perception. I'm sure if you asked any other province, and the teams that are competing against each other, they would like to think there's physicality in their games as well.

"Certainly whenever you play against any of the southern teams, I can't see any difference from a physical point of view.

"Again, I think it's a notion as much as anything else. I think whenever southern teams have been turned over by absolute work-rate and passion of some of the northern teams, sometimes they have cried foul.

"But at the end of the day it's a competitive environment, and I can't see any difference between any of the teams."

The Oak Leaf boss insisted he's approaching the Celtic Park clash with Tyrone as a must-win tie.

To him, this is knock-out Championship football, and the issue of back door reprieves through the Qualifiers is not on the agenda.

"We all look at the Ulster Championship as unique, it's a knock-out, and I'm certainly not thinking of back door and safety nets. It's going to be a good day and I'm hoping Derry people come and support us.

"It's Ulster Championship, it's knock-out, you can't afford to be thinking otherwise.

"I think Tyrone will admit too that the previous games will have no significance on this game.

"It's a different occasion and it demands a different focus, and a different type of performance."

The momentum lies with Tyrone, who went through their NFL campaign unbeaten, on their way to promotion and the Division Two title.

Derry, on the other hand, endured a disappointing campaign after a promising start, and hovered just above the relegation zone.

However, Barton feels his team is in a good place, and the players have prepared well for a huge test on May 22.

"Nothing beats winning, in terms of confidence, but we're happy enough with where we are at the minute. Things have been going pretty well, and players have been back getting their diet of club football, which is a good thing as well.

"But it's a different occasion, and I still think you toss a coin before a game not just to see what way you're going. Certainly, we don't know the outcome, and they'll have to come to Celtic Park and beat us."

ONeill

A bad Derry team can beat a good Tyrone side.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Quote from: lenny on May 06, 2016, 10:13:46 AM

I heard Eoin Bradley is flying and scored 1.6 in a recent challenge game. His 6 game suspension in the soccer was timely for the gaa season.
Yes its good to see Eoin back - Everyone deserves a second chance.   Id have gone further and brought Paddy in for this game as well.  The Seige of Derry mark 2, The battle of the bogside mark 2.  I think this will be the most intriguing game of the Ulster championship.  Tyrone will be very lucky to come out of here with anything.  My Derry sources are telling me that Derry are planning one of the biggest ambushes in recent Ulster championship history, others are telling me that Derry are rubbish and havent a hope.  Traditionally even when Derry had half decent teams half the county would berate them anyway.  Can Derry get over their in built self loathing when faced with the common enemy.  Tradition would say yes.   Derry by 3. 

ONeill

Derry ones will never get over the self-loathing. Sure luk at the heads on them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneman

Tyrone walked into Healy park as AI champions and got humiliated by an average Derry side. I would never take a win over Derry as a forgone conclusion.

Every chance we come out of Celtic park with tails between legs....again.

screenexile

Quote from: rrhf on May 07, 2016, 01:49:01 PM

Yes its good to see Eoin back - Everyone deserves a second chance.   Id have gone further and brought Paddy in for this game as well.  The Seige of Derry mark 2, The battle of the bogside mark 2.  I think this will be the most intriguing game of the Ulster championship.  Tyrone will be very lucky to come out of here with anything.  My Derry sources are telling me that Derry are planning one of the biggest ambushes in recent Ulster championship history, others are telling me that Derry are rubbish and havent a hope.  Traditionally even when Derry had half decent teams half the county would berate them anyway.  Can Derry get over their in built self loathing when faced with the common enemy.  Tradition would say yes.   Derry by 3.

News to us when the f**k did Skinner rejoin the panel??

JoG2

Quote from: screenexile on May 07, 2016, 10:40:08 PM
Quote from: rrhf on May 07, 2016, 01:49:01 PM

News to us when the f**k did Skinner rejoin the panel??

Tell them feck all 'Screen.. Skinner flying in training and is on 4 weetabix is all they need to know

rrhf

he transferred from Derry to win medals so maybe that itch is now scratched.

tiempo

Quote from: tyroneman on May 07, 2016, 06:28:11 PM
Tyrone walked into Healy park as AI champions and got humiliated by an average Derry side. I would never take a win over Derry as a forgone conclusion.

Every chance we come out of Celtic park with tails between legs....again.

Mickey underestimated Derry that day, he butchered the team selection and I suppose the players thought they only had to turn up as they had the AI bagged only a few months earlier. Tyrone took a good beating but it was a considerably above average Derry team.

B Gillis; K McGuckin, K McCloy, F McEldowney; L Hinphey, P McFlynn, J O'Kane (0-01); J McBride (capt), J Diver; M Lynch, B McGoldrick, F Doherty; E Muldoon (1-03 (3f)), P Bradley (0-03 (1f)), E Bradley (0-01).