Small parishes producing brilliant footballers.

Started by 5 Sams, November 25, 2014, 10:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

There's a place known as The Golden Mile in Ballintubber. Within a very short space of each other you have the O'Connors, Feeneys, Prendergasts and Geraghtys. Paddy Prendergast was full-back on the Mayo All-Ireland winning teams of 1950/51; his brothers Murt and Ray were very good full-backs too and Ray was full-back for Mayo for around a decade in the 60s/70s. Murt's son Tom was a selector with James Horan. The Geraghtys were home to Ger, who was the star of the 1983 Mayo U21 All-Ireland winning teams and was a huge loss to Mayo when he moved to Chicago. John O'Mahony almost had him back in 1989. His nephews Danny and Ray both played county minor. Ger Feeney was reputed to be one of Mayo's best ever defenders, even if he played in the barren 1970s. His sons Richie and Alan played with Mayo and Richie is still on the panel. Both play with Castlebar, where Ger moved to, but Richie is now living back in the family house in Ballintubber. Ger's brother Seán was County Board Secretary for over a decade. Then there's the O'Connors ... Cillian is a current All Star, 19-year-old Diarmuid a huge talent in the Mayo senior squad while Padraic and Ruaidhri both played Minor for Mayo. All four brothers scored goals for Ballintubber in their Mayo SFC semi-final win over Knockmore in September. I'd say less than 300 metres separates all these families and it's a rural area, probably not ten families there. Cranmore is the townland I think. You'll do well to get such a concentration of quality players in so short a space, involving more than one family.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: rrhf on November 26, 2014, 08:40:20 AM
The Moy is a small a wee place in every way but produced the cavanaghs, Mellon and Jordan,  holmes and the donaghys.

Edward Coyne, Peter O'Neill, Jimmy McCann, Eunan Deeny, Pat Donaghy, Jackie Duffy
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Lone Shark

Surely the starting point for this debate would be what constitutes a small parish? Aside from the fact that in Offaly at least, it would be comparatively rare for any club to pick from an entire parish - usually there would be 2 or 3 clubs in any single parish - I always find it amusing that outside of Dublin, around 90% of clubs seem to think of themselves as "small clubs". There are people in St Brigids (Ros) that have tried to argue to me that they're a small enough club - now if they're small then you could count on one hand the number of big clubs in the province of Connacht, never mind the fact that there would be none at all in Roscommon.

To my mind any club that has a catchment area with a population of 1000 people or more (obviously it might be a little different up North where large swathes of the population in certain areas aren't really a potential GAA audience) is not small. By that measure the market leaders in Offaly would have to be Clareen for hurling (The Dooleys, Eugene Coughlan, Kevin Kinahan, Joe Bergin) and yeah, Walsh Island for football.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Bensars on November 26, 2014, 09:59:21 AM
As Parishes go Coalisland/Clone  in tyrone area must be up there. Not entirely sure what way the parish breakdown is  but within a 7-8 mile radius there is a serious number of clubs.

Coalisland, Clonoe, Ardboe, Moortown, Derrylaughlin,Brockagh, Stewartstown, Derrytresk,Killyman,  Brackaville, Dungannon, Edendork, Ballinderry

this is true but within a that radius either way you could also add in Ogra Colmcille in County Derry then Maghery, Clonmore, Collegeland in Armagh and also in Tyrone you could add Moy, Donaghmore, Rock to the list of clubs listed above.

Always felt the Coalisland area was a real hotbed for football. In an outsider opinion Coalisland is made up of Coalisland, Clonoe and Brackaville all within the one area (locals might not like that description) - I cant even tell when I go from one to the other,  its only when I see the pitches....then go the other way and you are barely out of the 'Island and you arrive in Edendork

seafoid

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 26, 2014, 04:34:41 PM
Surely the starting point for this debate would be what constitutes a small parish? Aside from the fact that in Offaly at least, it would be comparatively rare for any club to pick from an entire parish - usually there would be 2 or 3 clubs in any single parish - I always find it amusing that outside of Dublin, around 90% of clubs seem to think of themselves as "small clubs". There are people in St Brigids (Ros) that have tried to argue to me that they're a small enough club - now if they're small then you could count on one hand the number of big clubs in the province of Connacht, never mind the fact that there would be none at all in Roscommon.

To my mind any club that has a catchment area with a population of 1000 people or more (obviously it might be a little different up North where large swathes of the population in certain areas aren't really a potential GAA audience) is not small. By that measure the market leaders in Offaly would have to be Clareen for hurling (The Dooleys, Eugene Coughlan, Kevin Kinahan, Joe Bergin) and yeah, Walsh Island for football.
How big would Banagher and whatever parish Seir Kieran is be ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Banagher is a decent sized town by Offaly standards, but Rynaghs would also draw on Cloghan, and the area in between. Clareen is tiny.

Feckitt

Nationwide once did a feature on a tiny townland in Tipperary which had a ridiculous amount of All Ireland Medals

Max Payne

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on November 26, 2014, 03:56:39 PM
Quote from: rrhf on November 26, 2014, 08:40:20 AM
The Moy is a small a wee place in every way but produced the cavanaghs, Mellon and Jordan,  holmes and the donaghys.

Edward Coyne, Peter O'Neill, Jimmy McCann, Eunan Deeny, Pat Donaghy, Jackie Duffy

Shoot and The Guy.

5 Sams

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 26, 2014, 04:34:41 PM

Maybe I should change the title of the thread to "Townlands" producing brilliant footballers.
The Aristocrat Years

Fuzzman

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 26, 2014, 08:09:43 AM
Aughabrack for its size and location has far exceeded expectations and produced the like of Patsy Kerlin, Paddy & Danny Ball, Brian Dooher and Stephen O'Neill.

Good man Nrico.
Also Adrian Ball and Cathal Blee won minor and U21 titles I think.
We're a VERY rural sparsely populated town land yet for a long time had two teams in the one parish.
Seeing Dooher and Stevie lift 3 Sam's was very special and a great reward for us all

Gaffer

Quote from: Bensars on November 26, 2014, 09:59:21 AM
As Parishes go Coalisland/Clone  in tyrone area must be up there. Not entirely sure what way the parish breakdown is  but within a 7-8 mile radius there is a serious number of clubs.

Coalisland, Clonoe, Ardboe, Moortown, Derrylaughlin,Brockagh, Stewartstown, Derrytresk,Killyman,  Brackaville, Dungannon, Edendork, Ballinderry

I reckon there are about 7 parishes in there
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Lone Shark

Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2014, 04:53:45 PM
How big would Banagher and whatever parish Seir Kieran is be ?

As AZ has said, Rynaghs pulls from a large area, including Banagher (the main town), Cloghan (a smaller town and traditionally the football end of the parish) and a decent chunk of rural territory in between and over towards Lumcloon (where Ferbane power station used to be). Without having any numbers to hand I'd wager that they'd almost certainly be in the top six or seven clubs in Offaly in terms of population and possibly even higher. Not as much as Tullamore or Edenderry, but probably close enough to Birr and Clara, and I'd struggle to think of any other clubs that would have more than them. Gracefield maybe, but most of the new residents there would be exiled Dubs who would have no real connection to the area.

Seir Kieran/Clareen would be the other end of the scale. They're reputed to be the smallest parish in Ireland (I know a lot of places claim that and I don't know the factual answer) but if they have a total catchment of over 400, women and men from 0-95, that'd be the height of it.

Whether they have a smaller pick than clubs like Ballinagar, Kilclonfert, Bracknagh, Clonmore Harps, Ballycommon and some of the other North Offaly clubs that are all either a third or a quarter of a parish is another matter. I couldn't tell you that with any certainty.

blanketattack

A bit off topic but Rock Street in Tralee which with 20 houses would be smaller than most parishes has 83 All-Ireland medals.

Wildweasel74

Lavey in county Derry would be fairly small and 2 families gave Derry about 6-7 county men from the 90`s on, Coleraine though big on paper would be a very small club and only in recent years have come to the fore. Having played against them at Junior level, i think it was one of the biggets achievements in Derry for them to win a Derry senior county title all within 10yrs

Silver hill

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 26, 2014, 09:47:13 PM
Lavey in county Derry would be fairly small and 2 families gave Derry about 6-7 county men from the 90`s on, Coleraine though big on paper would be a very small club and only in recent years have come to the fore. Having played against them at Junior level, i think it was one of the biggets achievements in Derry for them to win a Derry senior county title all within 10yrs

Two downeys and collie and Johnny Mcgurk. Hugh Martin was finished up around 89 and big bro Anthony wasn't playing after 79. Pound for pound, Johnny was probably the best club player around in Derry in the nineties. IMHO .
Regarding coleraine, agree, one of the greatest achievements in the history of Derry football to come from where they did to win a championship. Town of coleraine wouldn't exactly be known as a hotbed of Gaa activity but one man and his 10 or 11 chislers certainly played a part. Don't forget however, that geographically, they have a massive area to pick from. Add in 5 or 6 feeder primary schools and a sprinkling of blow in cousins from Derry City, and it's a good base to work off. :) not much in portrush but there's a surprisingly large number of mass goers in p'stewart.