GAA stars attending Dinner Dances.

Started by 5 Sams, April 09, 2012, 08:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

A post on another thread about John Egan attending the Derrytresk Dinner Dance on his own when invited got me thinking.

These lads gave very generously of their time for no reward in days gone by..we had Tommy Doyle in the 80s and he refused to take expenses. Numerous others like Trevor Giles and local Down lads were the same although normally they would have got some token of appreciation. Lately we have had Steven McDonnell and Seán Cavanagh who were the same...fair play to them..Cavanagh came to one of our underage presentations the evening after the Moy won the league and got promotion a few years ago and stayed all night. He was well entitled to say sorry lads cant make it I'm goin on the piss with my mates.

Have things changed much?? I hear of some "celebrity" former GAA lads charging outrageous money to say a few words at a club function. Is the spirit of Egan, Giles and Cavanagh still alive or I'm I being naive??
The Aristocrat Years

All of a Sludden

We had Anthony Tohill for an under age presentation, absolute gent. He was given an envelope with expenses, but point blank refused, wouldn't hear of it, but asked for a club jersey. He really couldn't do enough and was a credit not only to Derry, but to the association.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

TacadoirArdMhacha

This issue came up before on the board, after someone (was it yourself 5Sams, I think it was your club?) was surprised at being asked for money by a player attending a club function.

As I recall, there was a divergence of opinion between those who were appalled at the prospect and others who felt that a few pound was a fair recompense for the time taken away from home. The other issue is whether clubs themselves should ask players to visit from outside the county. We're fortunate within our club to have intercounty players who genuinely can't do enough for their club. I don't think anyone could argue with reasonable expenses but exortionate figures stick in the craw a little.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Denn Forever

The Cian Durkin Foundation is a charity very close to Ryan's heart and one he has been associated with since his move to Dublin. All Ryan's proceeds from this venture will be very kindly donated to this worthy cause.

Hope this is true.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

saffron sam2

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 09, 2012, 09:54:23 PM
Amazed at the figures being quoted for Ryan Dwyer there. This issue came up before on the board, after someone (was it yourself 5Sams, I think it was your club?) was surprised at being asked for money by a player attending a club function.

As I recall, there was a divergence of opinion between those who were appalled at the prospect and others who felt that a few pound was a fair recompense for the time taken away from home. The other issue is whether clubs themselves should ask players to visit from outside the county. We're fortunate within our club to have intercounty players who genuinely can't do enough for their club. I don't think anyone could argue with reasonable expenses but exortionate figures such as those quoted in the link above stick in the craw a little.

It was goldenyears who started the thread then. It is easy enough to find.

I could never work out the player in question.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 09, 2012, 10:16:30 PM
The Cian Durkin Foundation is a charity very close to Ryan's heart and one he has been associated with since his move to Dublin. All Ryan's proceeds from this venture will be very kindly donated to this worthy cause.

Hope this is true.

My apologies, hadn't read it properly and missed that it was for charity. I've removed my criticism.

I do however see two "similar providers" with no claims to be selling their services for charitable purposes.

TacadoirArdMhacha

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=10322.0

The previous thread. Didn't read it all but the since departed Corn02 probably delivered the best quote in the thread when he gauged the prevailing tone on the board at the time stating;

Quote from: corn02 on November 28, 2008, 03:01:34 PM
Interesting debate, there are a lot of Tyrone people on here that would defend a Tyrone player if went on a murdering spree,

heffo

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 09, 2012, 10:16:30 PM

Hope this is true.

It is true yeah. I know he's done lots of club appearances etc over the last year and hasn't looked for or taken anything until this.

Louth Exile

Just some of the genuine greats of the game that I know have done a turn for either our club or county down through the years include, Mickey Sheehy, Joe Kernan, Aaron Kernan, Vinny Murphy, Paul Finlay, The Banty (before he went to the dark side). None charged for their services, were all offered a few quid to cover expenses but none sought it.

I am aware of a current Kerry Star who will charge big money for doing the same as Mickey Sheehy and this guy was not one of the greatest footballers of all time!

Aaron Kernan was the one stuck out in my mind, he came to the club to present Minor Championship medals to the lads and brought the Andy Merrigan Cup with him. He was best man at a wedding the next day and should have been in Cross enjoying a few pints, so we promised to have him out of there before ten. He happily stayed until after 11 posing for any amount of photos with a smile on his face. Gave a very inspirational speech and couldn't have been more obliging.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com