Yet another Donegal "disciplinary" issue

Started by tyrone86, July 02, 2009, 02:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotrocks

I see Bonner and another lad Kelly have been suspended from their club aswell over this incident.  It seems a little harsh for a few bevvies, there has got to be more to this, anyone hear anything? 

MrC

It's a constant thing though - for a once-off itd be a harsh punishment, but those two have been dropped by the club numerous times, the poor manager's heart is broke with them. When it becomes a weekly thing, then something has to be done. Fair play to the club for taking action.
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

J70

Quote from: Hotrocks on July 04, 2009, 12:07:39 PM
I see Bonner and another lad Kelly have been suspended from their club aswell over this incident.  It seems a little harsh for a few bevvies, there has got to be more to this, anyone hear anything? 

As in Colin Kelly?

A man who should be a regular on the county team, but at least he has his priorities clear and won't make the commitment!

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 02, 2009, 11:04:14 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 02, 2009, 10:43:18 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 02, 2009, 10:29:10 PM
Canavan in support of the GPA has been rattling on about 10 of Donegal squad have no jobs... too much time on their hands it seems  :o

Where are they getting the money to buy drink ? Moonshine ?

Well 205 euro a week in dole to start.  ;)

At some stage we have to start looking at the County Board to shoulder some of the responcibility.
J70 welcome home, maybe your the man to turn the fortunes of the team.  ;)

Thanks! Sure it'll be nice just to get out to see match anyway! Looks like the shite weather has followed me home from New York as well! Feckin hail stones when I got back yesterday afternoon!

Hotrocks

Quote from: J70 on July 04, 2009, 02:56:10 PM
Quote from: Hotrocks on July 04, 2009, 12:07:39 PM

As in Colin Kelly?

A man who should be a regular on the county team, but at least he has his priorities clear and won't make the commitment!

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=114234

QuoteCiaran Bonner's football career hangs in the balance after his club suspended him for the rest of the season for indiscipline.

Bonner and his Donegal and Glenswilly colleague Neil Gallagher were axed from the county panel by manager John Joe Doherty on Tuesday for breaches of discipline.

Now Glenswilly, who are managed by former All-Ireland winning forward Barry O'Hagan, have taken a similarly hard line with Bonner, while Gallagher has been warned about his future behaviour.

Gallagher, who captained Donegal to their only National League title two years ago, was injured in a club game a fortnight ago and would not have been fit enough to line out for Donegal in their All-Ireland qualifier against Carlow this evening.

Bonner, however, was expected to start the Ballybofey tie.

Former county player Colin Kelly was also suspended by Glenswilly for the remainder of the year.

J70

Was glad they didn't show any highlights of Donegal-Carlow last night - there were probably ten better quality games in the McKenna Cup this year! Donegal just looked nervous and lacking leadership in the first half - I don't know how many passes went astray, while the referee (some Sligo fella) was repeatedly blowing them up for illegal handpasses, lifting off the ground, overcarrying etc. Except for Michael Murphy, none of the forwards made any impression at all in the first half (against Carlow!), and even he, although he repeatedly won any ball coming his way, hit a few awful wides and sent a couple of passes straight to Carlow men. Things improved in the second with Rory Kavanagh getting a fine goal in the first minute, but we ended up with 13 wides, some from very easy positions (Roper, who did well when he came on, hit one wide, albeit over his shoulder, from 10 yards in front of the goal!). Had we been drawn against even a middling team, we may very well have been out of the championship, given our profligacy in front of goal again and general awfulness in the first half. As it was, even when Carlow led by three points for much of the first half, it always felt inevitable that Donegal would win, especially as Carlow had nothing up front. Luck has shone on us again, as there were few easier options than Clare at home in the next round, but I'm not sure what good another facile win (assuming we achieve that) will do. This team needs a serious performance against a decent team to get them going again, if they are in fact capable of such a performance at the moment. Not looking too good, that's for sure!

Rossfan

Quote from: J70 on July 06, 2009, 06:46:42 PM
the referee (some Sligo fella) !

No doubt one of the mighty Duffy Brothers ....God help us.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

GAA official denies 'soccer top' remark

By Peter Campbell

Mystery surrounds an allegation that a top GAA official allegedly took issue with a soccer top being worn by a nine-year-old attending the Donegal v Carlow GAA qualifier game in Ballybofey on Saturday night.
The boy's father has claimed the official questioned the youngster's choice of a soccer top while attending a GAA game.
The father, who asked that he and his son's identity not be revealed by the media, said they were deeply upset by the alleged intervention.
The Donegal Democrat/People's Press contacted the official yesterday and he categorically denied speaking to any young boy in MacCumhaill Park on Saturday.

The alleged incident was witnessed by a local steward, who was very annoyed at the incident, claiming it was completely out of order.
The young boy was wearing a Donegal 'Abbey Hotel' jersey underneath his top and indeed only put on the top because it had started to rain about half an hour before the game.

When contacted on Sunday evening about the matter, Donegal GAA county chairman, Sean Kelly, said that he had been made aware of the alleged incident. "It was brought to my attention and I'm extremely annoyed about it," said Kelly, who hinted that the matter would be discussed at last night's (Monday's) Co. Committee meeting.

This newspaper has also been told that the Donegal GAA Co. secretary has been in contact with the Ulster Council on the matter. The Ulster Council were the controlling body for the game in MacCumhaill Park on Saturday evening.

When contacted yesterday, an Ulster Council official said that they could not respond because no complaint had been received in relation to the matter.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/GAA-official-denies-39soccer-top39.5434890.jp
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ExiledGael

Jesus Christ that's a new low, "allegedly took issue", "questioned the youngsters choice of top", "deeply upset by the alleged intervention". Pathetic.

Donegal Danny

I heard today that it was a former Ulster Council President who didn't want Croke Park open and doesn't like Sean Kelly. I was at the match but didn't see him hanging around but thats not to say he wasn't at the game.