Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 03, 2022, 10:23:10 AM
We have normalised the payment of managers. We have normalised players abandoning their clubs to chase the American Dream in the summer months. This is simply the next logical step. Those who have been dying on the hill of defending those things have helped to create this monster and they need to suck it up because it's only going one way.

there are hundreds of player transfers every year, the only difference here is ability of the player....

Hound

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 03, 2022, 10:09:43 AM
As already said, if players don't want to travel then why in this case is he not doing a county transfer too?
Not written in stone, but the Dubs have a policy not to take players from other counties. There are some exceptions, such as:
- Declan Darcy moved from Leitrim to Dublin, but he was a Dub playing for Leitrim.
- We had a sub goalie who played underage for Kerry (Brian Murphy) on the panel for a while, but he hadn't played senior for Kerry
- Mick Deegan (good Dubs half back in his day) had a son Michael who grew up in Meath and played for Ashbourne. But Michael only ever wanted to play for the Dubs so played minor and U21 for the Dubs and not Meath. I think he eventually transferred to a Dublin club.

Rory Gallagher was the one where it came under most scrutiny. He was playing with Brigids and was a top class freetaker - something Dublin badly needed at the time.  So a number of meetings were had to discuss, as he was willing and eager to play for the Dubs. But it was decided that we'd stick to not taking players who'd played with other counties, unless they had very strong Dublin ties.

So unless Shane has a Dub mother or father, I think the chances of Dubs accepting him are close to zero. (Not that I'm saying he'd want to transfer!)

None of the above applies to hurling - we happily accept Kilkenny, Tipp, etc. castoffs who live in the big city! 

gallsman

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 03, 2022, 10:41:02 AM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 03, 2022, 10:23:10 AM
We have normalised the payment of managers. We have normalised players abandoning their clubs to chase the American Dream in the summer months. This is simply the next logical step. Those who have been dying on the hill of defending those things have helped to create this monster and they need to suck it up because it's only going one way.

there are hundreds of player transfers every year, the only difference here is ability of the player....

Nail on the head.

Ethan Tremblay

Travelling to a county training, chances are he is going to get diesel etc paid for, meals for after and all that.  Some of the preparation is taken out of the equation when it is done for you, which makes it easier.  Several Galway lads can be carsharing to make it easier that way also.   

The county season and collective training will last from January to, in this case July, so 7 months in total, depending on how far the team gets.

Travelling to a club training, there might only be 15players turn up, the standard of training won't be as good, he may not get compensated for travelling and that turns a 7month commute into a 9/10 month commute. 

We are all at clubs where there are lads that come and go as they please, and the club is on their doorstep, so asking a fella to travel down from Dublin a few days a week is a lot when other's aren't willing to do half as much is maddening. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Keyser soze

People on the WTF thread arguing about player transfers.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 03, 2022, 03:03:53 PM
People on the WTF thread arguing about player transfers.

Fair point, here, wet your appetite for something WTF:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-62406098

Spend 70million on a movie and then don't release it. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Silver hill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2022, 09:26:08 AM
Quote from: Silver hill on August 03, 2022, 09:24:42 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 03, 2022, 02:45:53 AM
Quote from: Silver hill on August 02, 2022, 09:28:28 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 02, 2022, 08:25:46 PM
Some of the stuff on this Shane Walsh transfer. According to the Irish news (well o'Kane) no Dublin senior club should be allowed incoming transfers? Only intermediate.

I think that's a fair enough suggestion. All senior clubs in Dublin will have multiple hundreds if not thousands of members from densely populated urban areas. Let's call this out for what it is, he's been tapped up and I'd be very shocked if there isn't a cash offer or some other similar incentives for him to move to Crokes. At 29 years of age, why would you antagonise and alienate your home community and the club who nurtured you from primary up. The club where you are idolised by the kids and seen as a role model. How difficult would it have been to continue to play for his club whilst he finished his degree. If it's so difficult to commute to train then why isn't he transferring to Dublin from Galway? The beauty of the Gaa is that we play for where we are born and unlike soccer or rugby,success can't be bought by the club with the biggest cheque book. Once that fundamental cornerstone is eroded, we're all on a very slippery slope.

Very magnanimous of you to decide the fella who has moved to Dublin has to commute 4 times a week just to pass your purity test

He's studying in Dublin to complete his degree just like thousands of other GAA players before him from up and down the country. It would have been very easy to remain with his home club during that period and to play for them at the weekends. There would be no 4 times a week commute and you know it. He could train with any number of clubs in the city without actually transferring as many other players have done before him. Instead, if he proceeds with the transfer, he becomes a pariah amongst his own....and for what really, 30 pieces of silver.
Long term, he'll regret this.

Would your club refuse him?

Thankfully, outside the cities, transfer requests are very closely scrutinized by county boards. Obligation is on the player to prove that he is living at an address within that parish/club boundary. So, unless he takes up gainful employment in our town and physically moves to our town, then your question is completely hypothetical. As I said before, the beauty and uniqueness of the GAA is the fact that you play for where you are born. The payment of managers is a scourge and the elephant in the room that hierarchy keep burying heads in the sand over. A very simple rule would stop it and save us all a fortune, 'a team can only be managed by a person who lives within their club's boundaries' same with county managers.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Silver hill on August 03, 2022, 04:02:55 PM
Some of the stuff on this Shane Walsh transfer. According to the Irish news (well o'Kane) no Dublin senior club should be allowed incoming transfers? Only intermediate.

I think that's a fair enough suggestion. All senior clubs in Dublin will have multiple hundreds if not thousands of members from densely populated urban areas. Let's call this out for what it is, he's been tapped up and I'd be very shocked if there isn't a cash offer or some other similar incentives for him to move to Crokes. At 29 years of age, why would you antagonise and alienate your home community and the club who nurtured you from primary up. The club where you are idolised by the kids and seen as a role model. How difficult would it have been to continue to play for his club whilst he finished his degree. If it's so difficult to commute to train then why isn't he transferring to Dublin from Galway? The beauty of the Gaa is that we play for where we are born and unlike soccer or rugby,success can't be bought by the club with the biggest cheque book. Once that fundamental cornerstone is eroded, we're all on a very slippery slope.

Very magnanimous of you to decide the fella who has moved to Dublin has to commute 4 times a week just to pass your purity test

He's studying in Dublin to complete his degree just like thousands of other GAA players before him from up and down the country. It would have been very easy to remain with his home club during that period and to play for them at the weekends. There would be no 4 times a week commute and you know it. He could train with any number of clubs in the city without actually transferring as many other players have done before him. Instead, if he proceeds with the transfer, he becomes a pariah amongst his own....and for what really, 30 pieces of silver.

Thankfully, outside the cities, transfer requests are very closely scrutinized by county boards. Obligation is on the player to prove that he is living at an address within that parish/club boundary. So, unless he takes up gainful employment in our town and physically moves to our town, then your question is completely hypothetical. As I said before, the beauty and uniqueness of the GAA is the fact that you play for where you are born. The payment of managers is a scourge and the elephant in the room that hierarchy keep burying heads in the sand over. A very simple rule would stop it and save us all a fortune, 'a team can only be managed by a person who lives within their club's boundaries' same with county managers.

I dont play for club where I was born now. this is my third club. Dublin doesn't have a parish rule, do we know the reasons why?

Milltown Row2

So that's a yes.. if he moved to your village/town/parish you'd play him..

Cities don't have boundaries as you could move within the city and out of the area of your club
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Silver hill

If he had a job or married a local girl and was settled in the parish then yes, we would endorse the transfer request

Silver hill

Just think about it for a second, without a robust transfer policy, what would stop a JP McManus anywhere in the country offering ridiculous incentives to entice 4-5 superstars to transfer to one club to win a championship/provincial/all Ireland?
There should be some thinks left in life that are sacrosanct and money can't buy. At the minute, a county championship with your club (outside of Dublin), is still one of them.

Franko

Quote from: Silver hill on August 03, 2022, 04:02:55 PM

The sentiment I largely agree with

But it would only work in practice for the players

In terms of management, the mercenaries of this world would just be brought in same as now, but they'd be called coaches or waterboys.

It could never be policed.

Also, there are plenty of rural clubs who don't adhere to the 'where you're born' ethos

Unless 'where your mother or father was born' also counts

gallsman

Quote from: Silver hill on August 03, 2022, 08:34:17 PM
Just think about it for a second, without a robust transfer policy, what would stop a JP McManus anywhere in the country offering ridiculous incentives to entice 4-5 superstars to transfer to one club to win a championship/provincial/all Ireland?
There should be some thinks left in life that are sacrosanct and money can't buy. At the minute, a county championship with your club (outside of Dublin), is still one of them.

The Crokes team that do very nearly won the AI was made of entirely Crokes trained players. Three of the four semi finalists in the Dublin SFC last year had no players from outside the club.