Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: marty34 on July 24, 2022, 09:34:37 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 24, 2022, 09:20:04 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 24, 2022, 09:14:25 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 24, 2022, 09:12:33 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 24, 2022, 09:05:29 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 24, 2022, 06:52:29 PM
Silke, Molloy, McDaid and Walsh were Galway's best players today. Daly was excellent first half.

For Kerry G O'Sullivan, Morley, Stephen O'Brien and Clifford were best.

I think Ethan Rafferty could get the goalkeepers spot now. Shane Ryan was competent again in goal but nothing more. Kerry were more about their defensive system as a whole this year.

Did Kerry concede any goals this championship?

One. Did Ryan make any saves in the championship? I think it was more down to the defensive system in front of him.

True but they'll look at it from a goal-keeping point of view and good going, regardless of opposition, if only one goal conceded.

All things need to be considered. Rafferty was much more influential for Armagh than Ryan was for Kerry. But on the other hand Rafferty was on a team that was beat in the quarter final whereas Ryan has an AI medal. A lot will depend on how they divvy them out but I'd say Kerry could get as many as 3 defenders in the side after today. Morley, O'Sullivan and Foley probably.

O'Sullivan was very poor today. I thought they'd have switched him earlier.

He wasn't good today agreed but he was one of the front runners for POTY before today. It's not inconceivable that he could fall out completely but I think that would be harsh as he was up against an inspired Shane Walsh today. Same as Sean Kelly the other side who didn't have a terrible game by any means, just that he was up against a scoring machine on fire.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: yellowcard on July 24, 2022, 08:56:35 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 24, 2022, 08:52:52 PM
Given how much the final performance has on all-star selections, has Comer played himself out of one?

No. Comer done ok the second half today although he had to play much deeper than was ideal. The presence of Morley negated his threat but he done enough before today anyway. Comer, Walsh, O'Shea, two Clifford's and one other will be the forwards.

Rian O'Neill.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Ed Ricketts

Rian O'Neill at midfield anyone?

Spends as much gametime in and about the middle as in the forward line, so not all that absurd.

McDaid is a shoo-in for a midfield spot, but there's no standout option for the second spot.

Conroy maybe played his way out of an award today. No Kerry men really played their way in. Glass quiet in his semi-final. Fenton maybe?

More competition for awards in the forward line.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Estimator

GAAJOE have named their all Star team..

No Dubs in it.
Galway have more players than Kerry.

Galway 6
Kerry 5
Derry 2
Armagh 2

1. Ethan Rafferty - Armagh
2. Tom O'Sullivan - Kerry
3. Sean Kelly - Galway
4. Chrissy McKaigue - Derry
5. Brian Ó Beaglaoich - Kerry
6. John Daly - Galway
7. Kieran Molloy - Galway
8. Cillian McDaid - Galway
9. Conor Glass - Derry
10. Rian O'Neill - Armagh
11. Seán O'Shea -Kerry
12. Shane Walsh - Galway
13. David Clifford - Kerry
14. Damien Comer - Galway
15. Paudie Clifford - Kerry

They state that Brendan Rogers, Stefan Campbell and Paul Conroy were the unlucky ones to miss out...
Ulster League Champions 2009

From the Bunker

14. Damien Comer - Galway?

thewobbler

It's a good team.

Not sure if any of these did enough in their last championship match to deserve an honour: O'Sullivan, Glass, O'Shea, Comer. They were all central in their teams getting as far as they did, and that can't be understated. But James McCarthy and Ciaran Kilkenny delivered more when the challenge was presented.

yellowcard

Kilkenny is a certainty. Rian O'Neill for midfield wouldn't be a bad shout either, I don't be think he gets in the 6 forwards.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: yellowcard on July 24, 2022, 10:33:53 PM
Kilkenny is a certainty. Rian O'Neill for midfield wouldn't be a bad shout either, I don't be think he gets in the 6 forwards.

It would be. Contesting (and winning) throw-ins is quite a low bar for All-Star midfielders.

mouview

Quote from: thewobbler on July 24, 2022, 10:31:05 PM
It's a good team.

Not sure if any of these did enough in their last championship match to deserve an honour: O'Sullivan, Glass, O'Shea, Comer. They were all central in their teams getting as far as they did, and that can't be understated. But James McCarthy and Ciaran Kilkenny delivered more when the challenge was presented.
Kilkenny very poor in the first half v Kerry, took him a long while to get into it.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on July 13, 2022, 03:22:32 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 13, 2022, 03:01:24 PM
Zero chance of O'Neill getting an All Star.

Well that's just not correct.

He probably has somewhere between a 25%-50% chance of getting one. A lot will depend on the performances of 3 or 4 rivals in the final. The higher scoring the final becomes the lower his chances get.

Debatable whether he deserves one. On scoring alone, probably not. But O'Neill isn't really just a forward - he's a midfielder, playmaker, and FF all rolled into one. Maybe this adaptability counts against him - it's difficult to pigeon hole him. But he also has a pretty high profile, which is handy when looking an All Star.

Hold my hands up here, he's in with a good chance now given the lack of contenders at midfield. McDaid nailed on and suspect its between Glass and O'Neill for the other spot.

Estimator

Canavans Team

Shane Ryan - Kerry
Conor McCloskey - Derry
Jason Foley - Kerry
Liam Silke - Galway
Tom O'Sullivan - Kerry
John Daly - Galway
Gavin White - Kerry
Cillian McDaid - Galway
Rian O'Neill - Armagh
Ciaran Kilkenny - Dublin
Sean O'Shea - Kerry
Shane Walsh - Galway
Paudie Clifford - Kerry
David Clifford - Kerry
Shane McGuigan - Derry

Kerry 7
Galway 4
Derry 2
Armagh 1
Dublin 1

Explanation for his picks:
https://www.skysports.com/gaa/football/news/30553/12658893/gaelic-football-team-of-the-year-2022-peter-canavan-selects-his-all-stars-xv-after-kerry-win-the-all-ireland-title
Ulster League Champions 2009

yellowcard

Quote from: Estimator on July 26, 2022, 02:36:32 PM
Canavans Team

Shane Ryan - Kerry
Conor McCloskey - Derry
Jason Foley - Kerry
Liam Silke - Galway
Tom O'Sullivan - Kerry
John Daly - Galway
Gavin White - Kerry
Cillian McDaid - Galway
Rian O'Neill - Armagh
Ciaran Kilkenny - Dublin
Sean O'Shea - Kerry
Shane Walsh - Galway
Paudie Clifford - Kerry
David Clifford - Kerry
Shane McGuigan - Derry

Kerry 7
Galway 4
Derry 2
Armagh 1
Dublin 1

https://www.skysports.com/gaa/football/news/30553/12658893/gaelic-football-team-of-the-year-2022-peter-canavan-selects-his-all-stars-xv-after-kerry-win-the-all-ireland-title

I'd take serious issue with Canavans assertion that Ryan was far and away the best goalkeeper this year,. He most definitely wasn't. Rafferty for me had a much greater impact on Armagh than Ryan had on Kerry. Using the goals conceded is also neither here nor there, you need to look at how many actual saves he had to make. It was mostly down to Kerrys defensive system and not Shane Ryan. That said Ryan has his All Ireland medal and we know what way these things work. There are a few other marginal calls that could go either way but its only one persons opinion.

Clifford is a certainty to get POTY and probably Shane Walsh and McDaid will be the 2 other nominations. 

nrico2006

Quote from: yellowcard on July 26, 2022, 02:46:15 PM
Canavans Team

Shane Ryan - Kerry
Conor McCloskey - Derry
Jason Foley - Kerry
Liam Silke - Galway
Tom O'Sullivan - Kerry
John Daly - Galway
Gavin White - Kerry
Cillian McDaid - Galway
Rian O'Neill - Armagh
Ciaran Kilkenny - Dublin
Sean O'Shea - Kerry
Shane Walsh - Galway
Paudie Clifford - Kerry
David Clifford - Kerry
Shane McGuigan - Derry

Kerry 7
Galway 4
Derry 2
Armagh 1
Dublin 1

I'd take serious issue with Canavans assertion that Ryan was far and away the best goalkeeper this year,. He most definitely wasn't. Rafferty for me had a much greater impact on Armagh than Ryan had on Kerry. Using the goals conceded is also neither here nor there, you need to look at how many actual saves he had to make. It was mostly down to Kerrys defensive system and not Shane Ryan. That said Ryan has his All Ireland medal and we know what way these things work. There are a few other marginal calls that could go either way but its only one persons opinion.

Clifford is a certainty to get POTY and probably Shane Walsh and McDaid will be the 2 other nominations.

McGuigan shouldn't get one either, take away the Clare mismatch and I think he got 6 points from play in the championship.  Not the return of an All Star forward.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

clubman21

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 26, 2022, 03:10:20 PM
Canavans Team

Shane Ryan - Kerry
Conor McCloskey - Derry
Jason Foley - Kerry
Liam Silke - Galway
Tom O'Sullivan - Kerry
John Daly - Galway
Gavin White - Kerry
Cillian McDaid - Galway
Rian O'Neill - Armagh
Ciaran Kilkenny - Dublin
Sean O'Shea - Kerry
Shane Walsh - Galway
Paudie Clifford - Kerry
David Clifford - Kerry
Shane McGuigan - Derry

Kerry 7
Galway 4
Derry 2
Armagh 1
Dublin 1

McGuigan shouldn't get one either, take away the Clare mismatch and I think he got 6 points from play in the championship.  Not the return of an All Star forward.
A division two team who beat 3 division one teams deserves more than one all start IMO, Mcluskey and Mcguigan correct for me

oakleaflad

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 26, 2022, 03:10:20 PM
Canavans Team

Shane Ryan - Kerry
Conor McCloskey - Derry
Jason Foley - Kerry
Liam Silke - Galway
Tom O'Sullivan - Kerry
John Daly - Galway
Gavin White - Kerry
Cillian McDaid - Galway
Rian O'Neill - Armagh
Ciaran Kilkenny - Dublin
Sean O'Shea - Kerry
Shane Walsh - Galway
Paudie Clifford - Kerry
David Clifford - Kerry
Shane McGuigan - Derry

Kerry 7
Galway 4
Derry 2
Armagh 1
Dublin 1

That's extremely harsh for me. Not sure the same thing would be said of any other forward included. He was the 2nd top scorer in the All Ireland Championship and it's not as if he was just a free taker. He won plenty of free's himself, caught kickouts and turned over ball in general play. Even won a ball in front of his own goals in the Ulster final at a stage to help them win the game.