Pat Spillane to leave Sunday Game role after 30 years

Started by TheMistro, July 09, 2022, 03:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Pat sought controversy and was a likeable and contrary character. Never can forget that he tried to stain Tyrone football with buzz words but that was how he drew the crowds. More a fan than an analyst is what I would describe him as. But like every auld bollix ye will miss him off the screen, and If he gets the regular GAA slot on GB news sure it would be a great match..   ;)

seafoid

Spillane was a Sunday World sort of analyst. There wasn't a lot of content but there was always plenty of noise. And he was a Kerry chauvinist who found the 6 in a row extremely hard to swallow, especially when his Kerry team lost the title of greatest team of all time. Ochon is ochon o.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

OrchardOrange

Good riddance to the dinosaur. That's him and Brolly both away, pious sycophant O'Rourke next please followed by the brain-dead and Sam-less Whelan who should never be near any panel given his outright thuggery in a Dublin jersey. Vanity-project sit on the fence Cavanagh can do one too.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2022, 11:27:23 AM
Spillane was a Sunday World sort of analyst. There wasn't a lot of content but there was always plenty of noise. And he was a Kerry chauvinist who found the 6 in a row extremely hard to swallow, especially when his Kerry team lost the title of greatest team of all time. Ochon is ochon o.

+1

OrchardOrange

If any of the best Ulster teams from the 1950s onwards only had to beat Cork to get to an AISF they could easily have done 4 in a row as well. Pat's Kerry team were good but they only had to play 3 matches against actual football teams to win Sam in any year.

Captain Scarlet

Did anyone here honestly like Spillane? Like I mean you turn on the telly and go Oh great this is going to be good. Himself is on...
There will be a lot of revisionism but he always came across as a sack to me.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 17, 2022, 01:14:49 PM
Did anyone here honestly like Spillane? Like I mean you turn on the telly and go Oh great this is going to be good. Himself is on...
There will be a lot of revisionism but he always came across as a sack to me.

He's not really liked or taken seriously in his own county. He put his name forward for the Kerry under 21 job in 2015. There wasn't a notion of him being even considered by the Kerry County Board.

There are people with passing interest in football that looked forward to the Spillane Punch and Judy show. The ''What will he say today'' brigade.

timmyot501

Can pat take des with him. So many cringe moments in tonight's Sunday game. Not just des in fairness. Joanne wasn't great interviewing in the hotel either. Poor stuff.

rrhf

I think The Sunday game in Gaelic Football for too long encouraged a dumbing down of our football knowledge. The average man at the game new more than the analysts and so now it is paying a heavy penalty for taking its audience too lightly. A tired often patronising offering by RTE for a dumbed down audience which unfortunately had to be watched because the audience is there.

Olly

What if we just vote for our favourite songs aft half time and they play them instead of punditry.

I'd vote for D:Ream Things Can Only Get Better if losing and Europe The Final Countdown if drawing. Would need to think more if winning. Maybe Every Loser Wins by Nick Berry.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Sandy Hill

Quote from: OrchardOrange on July 16, 2022, 05:12:00 PM
Good riddance to the dinosaur. That's him and Brolly both away, pious sycophant O'Rourke next please followed by the brain-dead and Sam-less Whelan who should never be near any panel given his outright thuggery in a Dublin jersey. Vanity-project sit on the fence Cavanagh can do one too.

+1
"Stercus accidit"

blanketattack

Quote from: OrchardOrange on July 16, 2022, 05:36:13 PM

If any of the best Ulster teams from the 1950s onwards only had to beat Cork to get to an AISF they could easily have done 4 in a row as well. Pat's Kerry team were good but they only had to play 3 matches against actual football teams to win Sam in any year.

I've heard a lot about how the Kerry team of the 70s wouldn't have won as many All- Irelands if they had to come out of Ulster but these were some of Kerry's results in the semis:

76: Beat Derry 5-14 to 1-10
79: Beat Monaghan 5-14 to 0-7
82: Beat Armagh 3-15 to 1-12

And this was against the best team in Ulster. Do you think the games against the lesser teams in Ulster would be any different?

If Kerry had an extra couple of games v the likes of Longford or Fermanagh would having played 5 games really be much more of an achievement than playing 3 games where the 3 games were against the 3 best teams?

Also, I believe it was only 1 year that Kerry played 3 games, but you'd swear it was every year of the 70s and 80s the way that people go on about it.

Rossfan

I hear McStay is the "expert" on commentary Sunday.
Must visit some house with SKY.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Look-Up!

Quote from: blanketattack on July 20, 2022, 04:56:42 PM
Quote from: OrchardOrange on July 16, 2022, 05:36:13 PM

I've heard a lot about how the Kerry team of the 70s wouldn't have won as many All- Irelands if they had to come out of Ulster but these were some of Kerry's results in the semis:

76: Beat Derry 5-14 to 1-10
79: Beat Monaghan 5-14 to 0-7
82: Beat Armagh 3-15 to 1-12

And this was against the best team in Ulster. Do you think the games against the lesser teams in Ulster would be any different?

If Kerry had an extra couple of games v the likes of Longford or Fermanagh would having played 5 games really be much more of an achievement than playing 3 games where the 3 games were against the 3 best teams?

Also, I believe it was only 1 year that Kerry played 3 games, but you'd swear it was every year of the 70s and 80s the way that people go on about it.
I doubt playing a few extra games against Ulster teams would have done them much harm. Likewise it would have done Ulster teams a world of good too.

There was a lack of exposure for Ulster football back then and it shouldn't be understated what a big deal it was to get out of your province and have your big day in Croker in front of the cameras. It really was alien territory and the cut throat nature of Ulster football meant you didn't become too accustomed to it. I think when BBC started their championship programme it helped teams be less daunted by the "glitz" when heading down South.

Yes Kerry were still the superior team in those semi-finals but how much was the margin of victory a result of the gulf in class or stage fright for the interloper.

rrhf

Ulster teams didnt expect to win, often there was stagefright, they  were watching Kerry and Dublin carve up the all irelands on TV. It was a party going on and there was only ever an occasional chance to join.