Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Keyser soze

This match could have a lot of goals in it, for one of the teams, and whoever gets them will win the game, hoping that's Derry but this is a very hard game to call.

seafoid

Quote from: TheMistro on July 07, 2022, 02:09:14 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2022, 10:02:13 PM
A tight match bring the winner on a lot for the final.

Can't see Derry or Galweigens getting near kerry in the final.
It's hard to know who good Kerry are. In the last 3 years they have been beaten by Dublin, Cork and Tyrone
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tbrick18

The game is too close to call as both teams I believe are evenly matched.

Galway probably have a slight edge over us given the league game and that they have more heavy scoring forwards than Derry.
However, I think Derry have a better defensive setup that Galway that has come a long way from the league game and I also think we'll ne the toughest game Galway have had so far.

I can't call it.

Taylor

Will this be as close as the Clare game?

I know the majority of you Derry wans were saying the same thing prior to that game

Lucifer

Quote from: Silver hill on July 06, 2022, 10:59:54 PM

....maybe if they'd played their last game 2 days ago but a two week break takes tiredness out of the equation. Derry are the fittest of the 4 teams left and showed in all games thus far that they have the legs coming down the stretch. Just look at glass's GPS for the Ulster final- 18km ( even allowing for the extra 20 mins) that's off the charts running.
Our bench might be our Achilles heel if we pick up a couple of injuries. Emmett Bradley is a super option and would love to see a fully fit Paudie Tad unleashed in CP. after that, it's light enough. A full press on our kickout is also a worry if Galway decide to go down that route though unlikely as I think Joyce will keep cover to try to prevent exposure when we break quickly. It's intriguing, looking forward to it.

Just looking at match ups and Paudie seems like a good fit for Patrick Kelly, albeit maybe he doesn't have enough football behind him to be given a starting role.  I think if he was, it would help the match ups fit better in the Derry defence. 

Who will mark Walsh and Comer?  I think Derry have a bit of a conundrum in terms of match ups; I expect one of McKinless or Rogers to be on McDaid which means only one can be in defence.  Could McKaigue take up Comer and McCloskey or McGrogan take up Walsh, with the other on Finnerty?  That would leave Rogers free to go on Tierney/McDaid/Kelly and give him a platform to do his usual marauding as well.  Obviously any defence will be as much about a system, but the match ups will be key too and Derry have a lot more questions in how they are going to go about it than Galway.

At the other end it seems nailed on that Sean Kelly will take up McGuigan wherever he goes, but if he ends up venturing out with McGuigan it could leave the Galway FB line even more exposed.  Derry don't have a real ball winning FF to exploit that but it would be interesting if the likes of Glass drifted in occasionally and was left competing with Conroy at FB.

The potential Ethan Doherty v Molloy match up will be a great contest too.

It could be a more cagey opening to this game than anticipated, it might take a while to settle.

marty34

Quote from: Lucifer on July 07, 2022, 12:00:06 PM

....maybe if they'd played their last game 2 days ago but a two week break takes tiredness out of the equation. Derry are the fittest of the 4 teams left and showed in all games thus far that they have the legs coming down the stretch. Just look at glass's GPS for the Ulster final- 18km ( even allowing for the extra 20 mins) that's off the charts running.
Our bench might be our Achilles heel if we pick up a couple of injuries. Emmett Bradley is a super option and would love to see a fully fit Paudie Tad unleashed in CP. after that, it's light enough. A full press on our kickout is also a worry if Galway decide to go down that route though unlikely as I think Joyce will keep cover to try to prevent exposure when we break quickly. It's intriguing, looking forward to it.

Just looking at match ups and Paudie seems like a good fit for Patrick Kelly, albeit maybe he doesn't have enough football behind him to be given a starting role.  I think if he was, it would help the match ups fit better in the Derry defence. 

Who will mark Walsh and Comer?  I think Derry have a bit of a conundrum in terms of match ups; I expect one of McKinless or Rogers to be on McDaid which means only one can be in defence.  Could McKaigue take up Comer and McCloskey or McGrogan take up Walsh, with the other on Finnerty?  That would leave Rogers free to go on Tierney/McDaid/Kelly and give him a platform to do his usual marauding as well.  Obviously any defence will be as much about a system, but the match ups will be key too and Derry have a lot more questions in how they are going to go about it than Galway.

At the other end it seems nailed on that Sean Kelly will take up McGuigan wherever he goes, but if he ends up venturing out with McGuigan it could leave the Galway FB line even more exposed.  Derry don't have a real ball winning FF to exploit that but it would be interesting if the likes of Glass drifted in occasionally and was left competing with Conroy at FB.

It could be a more cagey opening to this game than anticipated, it might take a while to settle.

What does this mean?

I hear it all the time.

Wildweasel74

Rodgers will play midfield, McKinless stay no.6, Chrissy pick up Comer, who match up on Walsh I don't know, likely would been McGrogan (as he picked up McManus in Monaghan game) but he got it tight in the Clare game.

God14

Quote from: marty34 on July 07, 2022, 12:12:08 PM

What does this mean?

I hear it all the time.

Aerial presence & athleticism? Ability to win 50/50 ball & score

Lucifer

Quote from: marty34 on July 07, 2022, 12:12:08 PM

What does this mean?

I hear it all the time.

It is a bit of a generic statement, but what I mean is that they don't really have a player who stays around the square and can win longer direct ball, or generally cause chaos in and around there.  Comer is a good example!  It is a perceived weakness of Galway, further magnified after the goals scored by Armagh, but I'm not sure it is something Derry have the right type of player to exploit, unless they were to try something different.

Lucifer

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 07, 2022, 12:24:55 PM
Rodgers will play midfield, McKinless stay no.6, Chrissy pick up Comer, who match up on Walsh I don't know, likely would been McGrogan (as he picked up McManus in Monaghan game) but he got it tight in the Clare game.

I'd tend to agree with that.  Does McCloskey have a bit more pace than McGrogan?  I know McGrogan has been a more preferred match up but after struggling with Cleary it isn't ideal going into a contest against Walsh!

seanyb

Quote from: Lucifer on July 07, 2022, 12:50:59 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 07, 2022, 12:24:55 PM

I'd tend to agree with that.  Does McCloskey have a bit more pace than McGrogan?   I know McGrogan has been a more preferred match up but after struggling with Cleary it isn't ideal going into a contest against Walsh!

Serious? lol Clucky is an absolute rocket

Keyser soze

I think McKinless will be unleashed to go forward this time after being in a more defensive role the last couple of games.