Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: onefineday on June 30, 2022, 01:21:26 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 30, 2022, 01:02:49 PM
Who saying Derry raging favourites? Nobody on here. Would had Galway favourites on past meetings alone

He's trying to build a siege mentality. Betting on the game is essentially 50/50, which given galway are the only team to beat Derry this year (and by 11pts at home) represents brilliant value on Galway.
The Galway team of 98 - 01 played 4 all Ireland finals and after 98 weren't undervalued by anyone. They were favourites against Meath in 01 too and clear favs against Derry that day.
Kildare and Meath both beat Kerry and had a wall of money on them. Roscommon has the Hyde. Kildare and Meath had the hype.
The 2001 result shocked a lot of people. Meath were destroyed. That was the end of both teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhlNKcyNCI
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

screenexile

Quote from: seafoid on June 30, 2022, 02:52:02 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 30, 2022, 01:40:40 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 30, 2022, 01:35:30 PM
Who saying Derry raging favourites? Nobody on here. Would had Galway favourites on past meetings alone

He's trying to build a siege mentality. Betting on the game is essentially 50/50, which given galway are the only team to beat Derry this year (and by 11pts at home) represents brilliant value on Galway.
The Galway team of 98 - 01 played 4 all Ireland finals and after 98 weren't undervalued by anyone. They were favourites against Meath in 01 too and clear favs against Derry that day.

Might have been favourites against Derry but certainly weren't against Meath
Definitely were not favs against Meath.
This semi final is so hard to call.
The league game is irrelevant imo.
Derry are massively improved over the summer. Would like to think we have improved also.
Maybe I'm wrong but Derry seem to have a more defensive system in place now?
Hungover head on me that day in Owenbeg so maybe I'm mis-remembering but I can't recall Derry setting up overly defensive in the first half when it was still a contest.

The only thing about the League game was this
RTE
"Galway were able to press the Derry kick-out in numbers, forcing turnovers and sowing doubt in the home defence."
The result was a load of goals.
Derry have had it their own way so far in the championship.

Eh? We literally came from 2 points back with 10 mins to beat Donegal extra time... how would that be 'having it our own way'?

Along with that we had a shaky start to the second half against Monaghan as well where it looked like they might come roaring back only for us to get a goal at a good time.

There seems to be this narrative that Derry aren't battle hardened or something when that isn't the case.

The game is definitely a toss up for me and I think the league game will bear no resemblance to this one!

seanyb

Derry are massively improved over the summer. Would like to think we have improved also.
Hungover head on me that day in Owenbeg so maybe I'm mis-remembering but I can't recall Derry setting up overly defensive in the first half when it was still a contest.

RTE
"Galway were able to press the Derry kick-out in numbers, forcing turnovers and sowing doubt in the home defence."

Yeah, you just forgot to add Derry played into a gale force breeze that you had to be there to believe...Galway are favourites, they have came through the other side of a tough battle with Armagh and their record against Derry in championship football is 100%.

Will we hear the results of the CCCC today?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: seanyb on June 30, 2022, 03:07:36 PM

RTE

Yeah, you just forgot to add Derry played into a gale force breeze that you had to be there to believe...Galway are favourites, they have came through the other side of a tough battle with Armagh and their record against Derry in championship football is 100%.

Will we hear the results of the CCCC today?

Hopefully Derry get to play a full strength Galway team

imtommygunn

Be surprised if they don't.Kelly has to be clear. Not sure who else they would cite for the whole thing bar the sub who smacked the boy who did the eye gouging.

Maroon Manc

45,000 tickets sold already which has surprised me.

markl121

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 30, 2022, 03:57:08 PM
Going by the stadium view on Ticketmaster it looks like even more than 45k. Only looks like a few rows available in the back of the upper stands atm although with the way extra tickets keep being released its hard to know

Rossfan

Cavan and Westies might be taking a few
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on June 30, 2022, 04:29:07 PM

A few more maroon flags.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on June 30, 2022, 04:29:07 PM

The Tailteann Cup has done very well compared to expectations

seafoid

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 30, 2022, 12:23:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 30, 2022, 11:26:20 AM
One aspect I remember about the 98-01 Galway team (who beat Derry twice) is that they were consistently underrated.
All Kildare had to do was turn up. Meath beat  Kerry so they were unbackable. This was all groupthink.
A lot of people think Connacht football is all the same and follows the Mayo template. This is wrong.
Tyrone never won back to back but Roscommon did. No team in Ulster ever won 3 in a row. Galway did.

Galway footballers have 2 modes. Ridiculous and sublime. They know how to win in the latter mode. They are better than the hurlers.   
It's the culture.

I always thought that about Galway too. They can be absolutely class.
That 98-01 team had some fine footballers...though Joyce always particularly annoyed me as he could steal 10 yards on every free he kicked but never got pulled on it. Or maybe that's sour grapes :)
They were a good team to watch.

In saying all of that, I always felt Derry left both those AI's behind them.
The margins are often very small
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/feargal-logan-and-brian-dooher-bask-in-the-glow-of-all-ireland-success-1.4671709

The question I would say is: why do you have to wait a year or two," explained Dooher before the team departed Croke Park on Saturday evening. 
"You only get one chance and you make the most of it whenever you can. Let's face it, we had the rub of the green at times and we needed it. Particularly the semi-final, when we used up a right bit of luck. And today, too, we used up a right bit of it. But the way we look at it is: don't wait until tomorrow. You know, do what you can today. And don't put off anything that you can do today. And them boys did that. You never know. You might never be back again in an All-Ireland final. And you have to grasp that opportunity." 

GaillimhIarthair

Confirmed that Sean Kelly has been cleared to play in the AISF. 

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

RedHand88

Derry bunting and flags vanishing from posts overnight around Magherafelt and Castledawson. We all know where they will end up. Some southerners have no concept of what we have to go through here to support our county.

Cavan19

Anyone know when more tickets will be released on ticketmaster?