Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 01, 2022, 01:34:10 PM
Big impact for his club though. I thought he might have got the 96 weeks. Honestly think the disproportionate response on social media may have got more leniency for him.
Not sure how he would get 96 weeks when Philly Mc was given one game.

Armagh18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 01, 2022, 02:18:42 PM
Thought it would have been 12. 24 weeks is harsh enough, considering. If he appealed it he'd definitely get it reduced.
hardly much point appealing it whenever the 24 weeks is up before the league starts. Why not give him 3 or 5 matches?

Armagh18

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 01, 2022, 02:36:37 PM
Perhaps the rules didn't allow a game ban. Could depend on what it is they have done him for also. Maybe someone not named in the match day squad can't get a game ban. Like a supporter would get a time ban, rather than a game ban.
I'm only guessing.
Good point you could be right. Basically getting off scot free then which I'm not in favour of. Turbitt and Blaine Hughes banned as well.

nrico2006

Surely the referee has to have action taken against him, if there is such a process within their world in the GAA.  You can't send two players off for no reason purely to try and settle things down, especially in such a big game where one of them could have made the difference.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Given he shouldn't even have been on the pitch, six months that won't actually prevent him from playing anything he otherwise would have done seems very lenient.

clarshack

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 01, 2022, 04:11:26 PM
Surely the referee has to have action taken against him, if there is such a process within their world in the GAA.  You can't send two players off for no reason purely to try and settle things down, especially in such a big game where one of them could have made the difference.

He should but it won't happen.

Eire90

it should have been  70 weeks

nrico2006

Still can't believe how calm Nugent was when sent-off, it still was only a matter of minutes after he was told in the dressing room.  You would be livid, watched the footage again and kept my eye on him throughout, not one tiny act of aggression out of him.  Same with the Galway FB.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 01, 2022, 04:19:40 PM
Still can't believe how calm Nugent was when sent-off, it still was only a matter of minutes after he was told in the dressing room.  You would be livid, watched the footage again and kept my eye on him throughout, not one tiny act of aggression out of him.  Same with the Galway FB.
A synchronised sending-off has a different dynamic to an individual one. There was a balance to it on Sunday and no team had an advantage because of it
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

A synchronised sending off  :o

gallsman

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 01, 2022, 04:20:54 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 01, 2022, 04:11:48 PM
Given he shouldn't even have been on the pitch, six months that won't actually prevent him from playing anything he otherwise would have done seems very lenient.
Not if you consider that many others involved in the melee "shouldn't have been on the pitch" and they received no punishment at all.
Or indeed, that anyone contributing to a melee carries a punishment yet the vast majority of those who contributed received no punishment at all.
And then put that alongside previous punishments handed out for eye gouging. 6 months actually seems harsh.

I'm ignorant of the procedures and framework here, but there should clearly be a distinction between the match day panel, management etc who should be "inside the rope" and everyone else on the outside.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 01, 2022, 02:23:05 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 01, 2022, 02:18:42 PM
Thought it would have been 12. 24 weeks is harsh enough, considering. If he appealed it he'd definitely get it reduced.
hardly much point appealing it whenever the 24 weeks is up before the league starts. Why not give him 3 or 5 matches?
Far from getting off scot free the treatment he has received on social media, the press and assorted other bandwagon jumpers is worse than any match ban. His ban is also excessive compared to other high profile gouges, albeit given he was non playing that might have framed the punishment. How only one Galway man got cited is bizarre. I'd guess running scared of the appeals.
Check out Thomas Niblocks take on the GAA Social, balanced and fair.

Applesisapples

Bar has now been set for these melee's, lets see consistency.

balladmaker

Just a pity now that the bans have been settled that we're not looking forward to a replay this weekend  >:(

Wildweasel74

So in short there nothing in the future to prevent further pile ins, GAA never grasped suspensions to be match related.