Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

The Galway sub who threw the punch might be missing, but not missed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

galwayman

Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2022, 02:04:30 AM
Sweeney will miss the semi no doubt. He's a good player but has been used sparingly in the championship so far. Brief cameos against Ros and last Sunday.
He looked like a star in the making as a minor a number of years back I thought

Maroon Manc

Quote from: galwayman on July 01, 2022, 09:03:53 AM
Sweeney will miss the semi no doubt. He's a good player but has been used sparingly in the championship so far. Brief cameos against Ros and last Sunday.

He was the standout player in that minor team of 2018, still only 20 or 21 though; Paul Kelly dropped back in the pecking order too but suppose I'd put that down to the emergence of Patrick Kelly. The bench looks light this year and Joyce was very reluctant to empty it on Sunday but suppose the stats men must have liked what they saw.

There's a good cohort of players that have stood out at underage in recent years and at most are 21 knocking around the panel in the 2 lads named above plus McGrath, McLaughlin, Culhane & Gill. I'd expect Hernon to be another one but he did his cruciate.

Then there's the likes of Cooke, Varley, Michael Daly & Ian Burke who all made themselves unavailable, wonder will they change their minds in the future. 

clarshack

so how long has Tiernan Kelly been suspended for?

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 01, 2022, 09:39:57 AM
Quote from: galwayman on July 01, 2022, 09:03:53 AM

He was the standout player in that minor team of 2018, still only 20 or 21 though; Paul Kelly dropped back in the pecking order too but suppose I'd put that down to the emergence of Patrick Kelly. The bench looks light this year and Joyce was very reluctant to empty it on Sunday but suppose the stats men must have liked what they saw.

There's a good cohort of players that have stood out at underage in recent years and at most are 21 knocking around the panel in the 2 lads named above plus McGrath, McLaughlin, Culhane & Gill. I'd expect Hernon to be another one but he did his cruciate.

Then there's the likes of Cooke, Varley, Michael Daly & Ian Burke who all made themselves unavailable, wonder will they change their minds in the future.
I would say Burke is done for good. Not even playing club ball anymore afaik.
I'd be hopeful the other 3 would be back though. They still have a lot to offer.

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on July 01, 2022, 10:30:02 AM
so how long has Tiernan Kelly been suspended for?
hasn't been announced afaik. Kelly (Galway) and Nugent got a match each but will get off on appeal. Greg McCabe got 2 matches as he had been sent off already this year and is appealing.

imtommygunn

If Kelly from Galway doesn't get to play against Derry it is a disgrace.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 01, 2022, 12:08:35 PM
If Kelly from Galway doesn't get to play against Derry it is a disgrace.
100% agree. Consensus seems to be himself and Nugent will rightly get off on appeal. Would be very surprised if there is any video evidence of either lad doing anything bar try to calm the thing down.

imtommygunn

No dirt in nugent or Kelly. It's kind of mind boggling what the ref was at in the first place and why this, even if it is temporary, being held up.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 01, 2022, 12:38:08 PM
No dirt in nugent or Kelly. It's kind of mind boggling what the ref was at in the first place and why this, even if it is temporary, being held up.
Yeah both totally innocent going by what I've seen and what everyone has said. Completely unfair on Kelly who should be 100% focused on the biggest game of his life so far next week.

Manning18

From Galway bay fm, it sounds like it's just Sean Kelly and one other panel member who im guessing must be Sweeney who threw a dig. If that's the case we'll definitely take that as Kelly will surely get off on appeal

imtommygunn

Armagh have said they are accepting their punishment so mustn't be appealing. Anything announced for tiernan kelly?

seafoid

The match had to go on.The Ref didn't have a TV ref or time for video analysis.
Sending off the 2 gave the impression of doing something and allowing the match to continue while leaving time to investigate afterwards-
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

6 months for tiernan kelly. Could have been a lot worse.turbot banned too and Cathay sweeney.

galwayman

Quote from: seafoid on July 01, 2022, 01:00:09 PM
The match had to go on.The Ref didn't have a TV ref or time for video analysis.
Sending off the 2 gave the impression of doing something and allowing the match to continue while leaving time to investigate afterwards-
Doesn't change the fact that it was a ridiculous decision by Coldrick.