Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: general_lee on June 29, 2022, 09:36:07 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 29, 2022, 12:00:52 PM
Quote from: Dabh on June 29, 2022, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: galwayman on June 28, 2022, 09:23:51 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 28, 2022, 07:42:13 PM
While I completely agree with the above that we need to move on from the TK stuff as he's had his punishment now (and it's no Galway people here who are calling for his head), the idea that comer was the instigator is wrong and needs to stop.

Morgan, somewhat understandably in the joys of utter celebration, shouldered comer in the back and started mouthing a bit. Comer, who doesn't shy away from much to be fair, shoved back and then comer was surrounded by a few Armagh and then everyone started piling over. That's what happened and saying otherwise is starting a wrongful discussion about a player who still has to go perform in 2 weeks
100% that is exactly what happened. Anyone sitting in that area of the Cusack will say the same.

Wasn't at the game but the camera footage shown on TSG appears to tell a clear & different story. 
Morgan is mouthing something alright.. thou it looks more likely that it is at his own teammate and if it is abuse at someone from Galway then they are a fair bit away. 
Comer deliberately runs over to Morgan, starts his own bit of mouthing and instigates the shoulder dunt which is also clearly not in the back.
At that point Forker & ONeill get involved with Kelly being the next player to get involved.

You've just admitted you weren't at the game! Considering multiple Galway people and an Armagh fan have just explained on the previous page that's not what happened, has it not occurred to you that the camera's may have missed the start of it? The Morgan shoulder into Comer happened about 5-10 seconds before the part you saw when the camera panned over, which was Comer following Morgan to remonstrate. Maybe he shouldve just taken it, but as I said, he's generally not one to shy away either
I was at the game and that was my view of it at the time and it's my view of it having watched the game back. Also this one way narrative that only Morgan was at it all game is ballex of the highest order. Him and Walsh were both going at each other throughout, not long after Morgan got booked Shane Walsh had him pinned to the ground right in front of the linesman (eyes firmly painted on). Morgan was trying to get free for about 6-7 seconds with Walsh doing his best to provoke something. While the blind official eventually alerted the ref, colderick then proceeded to do absolutely f**k all about it  ::)

We definitely need to find some way to prevent threats like Morgan being illegally stopped by the likes of Walsh at various stages of a game, it's up to the referees and linesmen to do this and they have been found wanting.
I've seen Walsh get imbroiled time after time with opposition players who obviously are only trying to play the game in a fair and reasonable manner, Shane is clearly the common denominator here so it has to be him targeting the opposition corner backs for I suppose the politest way of calling it would be "treatment".

I hope the officials for the semi final grow a set of balls and stop this reign of targeted terror by Walsh against the marquee defenders we all pay the money for tickets to see. Certainly I think that these defenders have to accept that there are going to attempts to stop them by hook or by crook but its up to the officials to protect them, I sincerely hope this is sorted out for the semi final, we don't want to see Walsh getting away with his antics again.

Wildweasel74

Walsh could got a black card for that, but Morgan probably not lucky to see the line, blindsiding him before that.

An Fhairche Abu

Look we didn't see Rian O'Neill at this nonsense on the other side of the pitch for some reason. I'm sure Morgan accidentally ran into Walsh off the ball, more likely that Walsh somehow felt his presence even though he couldn't see him and deliberately tried to get him in bother with the officials by moving into his path, it's disgusting stuff.
Best to highlight Walsh's antics now before Chrissy McKaigue or god forbid a total innocent like McKinless are Shane's next targets for this off the ball stuff.

lenny

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 29, 2022, 10:02:33 PM
Walsh could got a black card for that, but Morgan probably not lucky to see the line, blindsiding him before that.

Morgan was obviously holding Walsh and wrestled him tot he ground. Unfortunately for him Walsh was too strong and flipped him over and completely pinned him down. Morgan wasn't strong enough to do anything about it. If both had been given yellows for it Morgan would've been off an deservedly so.

naka

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 29, 2022, 09:39:38 PM
Armagh have form , simple as. McGeeney a thug
Good man
Grow up
Actually glad ciaran Mc Keever called out a faceless warrior on Twitter earlier today
Sometimes people need to be held to account for their comments
If it starts costing a few euros they may think twice

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 29, 2022, 10:02:33 PM
Didn't see what Walsh did to start that bit of wrestling on the ground but watch reply of Morgan going into the back of him- not a great view of it but seemed to be absolutely nothing in it, Walsh went down like he was shot.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: naka on June 29, 2022, 10:21:00 PM
Good man
Grow up
Actually glad ciaran Mc Keever called out a faceless warrior on Twitter earlier today

I don't at all agree with the treatment of the gouger on Twitter,away over the top but Armagh have a culture of scrapping this year and in the past . A lot of teams do

Armagh18

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 29, 2022, 11:00:24 PM
Good man
Grow up

I don't at all agree with the treatment of the gouger on Twitter,away over the top but Armagh have a culture of scrapping this year and in the past . A lot of teams do
Bit of pushing and shoving doesn't bother me in the slightest. If it had been Kerry playing Galway and the same thing happened (bar the gouge which I'm not defending) we wouldn't even be talking about it. How many times have Dublin and Mayo had scrapes over the years in the tunnel with nothing said.

Ed Ricketts

Watched the whole thing back this evening. Still great entertainment, even knowing the outcome.

Few things I picked up:

The row was a whole pile of nothing outside of that incident. With hindsight it just seems even more crazy that Armagh engaged in the thing. It totally re-energised a shell-shocked Galway, and they subsequently began E/T much more brightly than Armagh.

Coldrick didn't have a great game. Missed a few fairly obvious things like double hops and throw balls. He was also conned a fair few times by boys going down very easily after (and sometimes before) contact, and by lads doing the old 'pulling the defender down on top of themselves' trick. None of this really seemed to benefit one side over the other, though. Sending off those particular two lad after the row was just bizarre. It's a shame that this will hang over Sean Kelly for a few days (until his inevitable clearance) when he should be able to get his head focussed on a semi-final.

The game in normal time was more even than I thought at the time. Armagh had a very good first 25 mins. Galway then had a slightly better next 25 mins, including nicking a crucial goal. But from about the 50th minute onward Armagh seemed to have stopped the rot. They held Galway scoreless for over 10 minutes, and were slowly eating away at their lead. It was set up to be a tight finish either way. But then the red card on 60 minutes changed the whole dynamic, and Galway made hay in the space vacated by McCabe. I think this wee 5 minute purple patch by Galway after the red card is what gave some (including myself) the impression that Galway were 5/6 points the better side. At 15 v 15 it was pretty even stuff, including through E/T.

Some poor enough misses from Armagh in normal time, especially at some key moments. Galway didn't leave many scores behind in regulation time, although they then hit their fair share of wides in E/T. Armagh also turned down pretty much every one of three or four half goal chances that came their way - perhaps they could have been more brave at times.

Galway have a great spread of talent in their front 8. It'll be very interesting to see how Derry cope with this. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Galway were to do a real number on them.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 29, 2022, 11:24:18 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 29, 2022, 11:00:24 PM
Good man
Grow up

Bit of pushing and shoving doesn't bother me in the slightest. If it had been Kerry playing Galway and the same thing happened (bar the gouge which I'm not defending) we wouldn't even be talking about it. How many times have Dublin and Mayo had scrapes over the years in the tunnel with nothing said.

I think the bad high profile  ones are always talked about. 

Farrandeelin

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 29, 2022, 09:53:51 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 29, 2022, 09:36:07 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 29, 2022, 12:00:52 PM
Quote from: Dabh on June 29, 2022, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: galwayman on June 28, 2022, 09:23:51 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 28, 2022, 07:42:13 PM
While I completely agree with the above that we need to move on from the TK stuff as he's had his punishment now (and it's no Galway people here who are calling for his head), the idea that comer was the instigator is wrong and needs to stop.

Morgan, somewhat understandably in the joys of utter celebration, shouldered comer in the back and started mouthing a bit. Comer, who doesn't shy away from much to be fair, shoved back and then comer was surrounded by a few Armagh and then everyone started piling over. That's what happened and saying otherwise is starting a wrongful discussion about a player who still has to go perform in 2 weeks
100% that is exactly what happened. Anyone sitting in that area of the Cusack will say the same.

Wasn't at the game but the camera footage shown on TSG appears to tell a clear & different story. 
Morgan is mouthing something alright.. thou it looks more likely that it is at his own teammate and if it is abuse at someone from Galway then they are a fair bit away. 
Comer deliberately runs over to Morgan, starts his own bit of mouthing and instigates the shoulder dunt which is also clearly not in the back.
At that point Forker & ONeill get involved with Kelly being the next player to get involved.

You've just admitted you weren't at the game! Considering multiple Galway people and an Armagh fan have just explained on the previous page that's not what happened, has it not occurred to you that the camera's may have missed the start of it? The Morgan shoulder into Comer happened about 5-10 seconds before the part you saw when the camera panned over, which was Comer following Morgan to remonstrate. Maybe he shouldve just taken it, but as I said, he's generally not one to shy away either
I was at the game and that was my view of it at the time and it's my view of it having watched the game back. Also this one way narrative that only Morgan was at it all game is ballex of the highest order. Him and Walsh were both going at each other throughout, not long after Morgan got booked Shane Walsh had him pinned to the ground right in front of the linesman (eyes firmly painted on). Morgan was trying to get free for about 6-7 seconds with Walsh doing his best to provoke something. While the blind official eventually alerted the ref, colderick then proceeded to do absolutely f**k all about it  ::)

We definitely need to find some way to prevent threats like Morgan being illegally stopped by the likes of Walsh at various stages of a game, it's up to the referees and linesmen to do this and they have been found wanting.
I've seen Walsh get imbroiled time after time with opposition players who obviously are only trying to play the game in a fair and reasonable manner, Shane is clearly the common denominator here so it has to be him targeting the opposition corner backs for I suppose the politest way of calling it would be "treatment".

I hope the officials for the semi final grow a set of balls and stop this reign of targeted terror by Walsh against the marquee defenders we all pay the money for tickets to see. Certainly I think that these defenders have to accept that there are going to attempts to stop them by hook or by crook but its up to the officials to protect them, I sincerely hope this is sorted out for the semi final, we don't want to see Walsh getting away with his antics again.

;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thebackbar1

In the post match interview Kieran McGeeney posed a question back at a journalist what to you do when someone pushes you ? insinuating that the correct and normal thing to do is to push back, granted its an awful situation for Kieran to be in having to do a post match interview after losing a match, but its caveman stuff pushing someone back because they pushed you. If someone wants to start a fight with you, you do have the option of not engaging with the other person and getting drawn in to a fight. If Kieran matches the video of the melee he will see Tiernan Kelly pushing Sean Kelly who is the bigger man and doesn't push back.

Matching the melee again the way the Armagh subs came in so fast, and were double-teaming up against the Galway players in what seemed a very choreographed way.

6th sam

The GAA really need to look at these melees.
Problems:
They are dangerous and somebody could get seriously hurt through weight of numbers or unseen digs/ gouging , MMA tactics etc.
They are extremely bad PR for GAA.
The current sanctions are not working
The 3rd man in rule is impossible to police fairly particularly in club games with only 1 official .
Kieran mcgeeney is right , It's human nature to push back when pushed, particularly in the heat of an attritional sport. It's also human nature to protect a teammate in a dangerous clutch or on the ground with someone battering his head. I haven't heard one person criticising the Galway man who punched Tiernan Kelly ,  was this an acceptable human reaction to perceived assault on a teammate?
Some players are now MMA trained or influenced,  putting them at an advantage in a wrestling situation where they could inflict damage against an opponent not trained.
Armagh seem to be involved in a disproportionate number of these melees.

Solutions:
Accept human nature but penalise dangerous aggression. Encourage peacemaking (pulling back, calming words ) but  heavily penalise aggressive intent whether a player is first or last into the melee inevitably it's  the peacemakers who eventually bring these melees under control. If it became accepted practice to be seen to calm these situations down, they would be less likely to  develop. I've seen this happen on several occasions , so it could work if a lone ref had the support of "influencers", from both sides-players and team mentors/officials .
Heavily sanction repeat offenders financially , if Armagh were handed a £10k fine every time they're involved in a melee, it might help them reflect on what is perceived as their melee ethos.
Seperate teams at interval. Eg teams go into changing rooms separately and stay to allocated area
Strict on numbers inside the wire , eg 5 , no subs. Heavily sanction those that cross the wire or cross to opposition area.
Those inside should include a discipline official for each side, whose job is to promote control of potential melees.
All above would help change the culture around melees, which are dangerous and seriously bad PR.

Milltown Row2

Someone pushes me I push back.... ok, I don't then ask for all mine teammates to get into a cartoon style dust up in front of 100,000's of people watch at the pitch on tv and in a quarter final game at the home of GAA..

Agreeing that its ok to push back is the first problem, allowing the ref to do his job is a lot easier when its one man instigating it, yellow or red depending on the incident.

The ref has one chance after discussion with other officials to make a call, if he did it by the book, you'd have 8 a side if you are lucky, maybe that needs to happen
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 30, 2022, 09:21:32 AM
Someone pushes me I push back.... ok, I don't then ask for all mine teammates to get into a cartoon style dust up in front of 100,000's of people watch at the pitch on tv and in a quarter final game at the home of GAA..

Agreeing that its ok to push back is the first problem, allowing the ref to do his job is a lot easier when its one man instigating it, yellow or red depending on the incident.

The ref has one chance after discussion with other officials to make a call, if he did it by the book, you'd have 8 a side if you are lucky, maybe that needs to happen
The book needs to change then if it says there were any red card offences in that melee bar the obvious one ffs.