Mayo V Monaghan Qualifier

Started by joemamas, May 23, 2022, 03:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

There's much slagging of Banty but I'm not sure how much actual influence he has on the game plan. In his first "era" he brought in the Armagh heavyweight Paul McGirl and now has Donnie Buckley. Banty, if left to his own devices would never have 3 up front against a Gallagher team or against Mayo in the league have a team set up to with attractive play to create many goal scoring chances.  Last year could/should have been our year at least to get to an AI final. I'd say Buckley is calling the shots on the game plan. My only gripe is considering Drew Wylies effectiveness against Dublin, I wonder what the reason is to exclude him from the team.
If Mayo would be so hospitable as to leave a bit of space for Mohan, McCarron, and McManus  to do their thing, then I'd be hopeful. Considering our (what passes for) history this is the type of game with the potential to bring out our best.
Any Mayo supporter pessimism will have absolutely no effect on the Mayo performance.

Tubberman

Quote from: Main Street on June 01, 2022, 08:57:42 PM
There's much slagging of Banty but I'm not sure how much actual influence he has on the game plan. In his first "era" he brought in the Armagh heavyweight Paul McGirl and now has Donnie Buckley. Banty, if left to his own devices would never have 3 up front against a Gallagher team or against Mayo in the league have a team set up to with attractive play to create many goal scoring chances.  Last year could/should have been our year at least to get to an AI final. I'd say Buckley is calling the shots on the game plan. My only gripe is considering Drew Wylies effectiveness against Dublin, I wonder what the reason is to exclude him from the team.
If Mayo would be so hospitable as to leave a bit of space for Mohan, McCarron, and McManus  to do their thing, then I'd be hopeful. Considering our (what passes for) history this is the type of game with the potential to bring out our best.
Any Mayo supporter pessimism will have absolutely no effect on the Mayo performance.

Don't worry, that is a given when playing Mayo!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

yellowcard

Grimley? I think he would take offence to being called Paul McGirl!

I think you're right on Banty. I think he will have little input as to how Monaghan set up tactically. He'd be more of a delegator who relies on having a team of experts around him. It's still bizarre seeing a former AI hurling winning manager in the backroom team whatever his input is to a football side.

Main Street

Quote from: yellowcard on June 02, 2022, 02:26:20 PM

Grimley? I think he would take offence to being called Paul McGirl!

I think you're right on Banty. I think he will have little input as to how Monaghan set up tactically. He'd be more of a delegator who relies on having a team of experts around him. It's still bizarre seeing a former AI hurling winning manager in the backroom team whatever his input is to a football side.
probably would take some offence, but the heavyweight tag passes muster?

Sleater

Banty ultimately decides the starting 15, decides the positions they play and matchups too. I would feel he dictates the style of play and gets a coach to implement it. I can't get around McCarthy playing in defense, it still doesn't make sense at all. Persisting with Carey who has amassed 5 pts from play over 9 games in 2022 makes little to no sense either. He's someone who fails to deliver and his lapses in concentration are costly. It's hard to know how Monaghan will go against Mayo. Bar the Kildare game, Monaghan have been big on effort and possession. Not the sterile back and forth you'd see Donegal do, but a full court press with lots of turnovers. The problem has been converting that dominance in possession into scores. Monaghan have been hugely wasteful with shots for  most of 2022's games. Against Mayo in the league I think they got below 50% accuracy (the 7 missed frees were particularly bad and I still can't believe the one Bannigan dropped into the Keepers hands in first minute from 20 yards out). The Derry game was not much better. Colm Shalvey of the Northern Standard tweeted Monaghan  scored 17 of their 36 chances. It felt like a lot of chances being missed watching the game but 36 shots blew my mind. It shows Monaghan are doing something right to a degree but failing on where they are shooting from or poor execution of skills. Bar the Dublin and Down games, Monaghan have been struggling to turn their substantial spells of dominance during games into scores. Will it click this weekend? It could. It also relies on Banty getting his starting line up, player match ups and positioning correct and that does not fill me with hope as he's not got a great record of this. Can the players sharepn their finishing and positioning, maybe. Monaghan can do it, but I dunno if they will do it.

Farrandeelin

I hope the game isn't ruined by Barry Cassidy.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

marty34

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 02, 2022, 08:42:14 PM

The referee doesn't ruin the game.

Need to get away from blaming the ref...even before the game has started.

The re doesn't kick 15 wides etc. etc.

Main Street

Quote from: marty34 on June 02, 2022, 10:01:34 PM

That's all fine, but it's still Barry Cassidy with the whistle in his mouth.

highorlow

Horan is and always will be a great manager. The failing with Horan over both his tenures in charge was his trying lads in the league and then come championship reverting to the old reliables. Many's the player had a great league and for some reason or other were never chanced in the championship.

My hope for Saturday is that we end up by default, due to injuries  "finding" a team. Orme (a fine player) and the rest of the young lads might become something we are looking for and surprise everyone including Horan.

It's die dog or shite the licence time for us on Saturday, after 10 minutes we will know if our young lads are up for it.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Blowitupref

Mayo team named.

Rob Hennelly
Lee Keegan
Oisin Mullin
Enda Hession
Paddy Durcan
Stephen Coen
Eoghan McLaughlin
Aidan O'Shea
Matthew Ruane
Bryan Walsh
Aidan Orme
Diarmiud O'Connor
James Carr
Jack Carney
Cillian O'Connor

Subs - R Byrne, P O'Hora, R Brickenden, D McHugh, C O'Shea, Jordan Flynn, K McLoughlin, D McHale, C Loftus, J Doherty F Boland
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

God14

Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2022, 12:26:56 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 02, 2022, 10:01:34 PM

That's all fine, but it's still Barry Cassidy with the whistle in his mouth.

Without doubt, the worst ref in the business
The Ego man

mayoman dan

Quote from: highorlow on June 03, 2022, 01:07:38 AM
Horan is and always will be a great manager. The failing with Horan over both his tenures in charge was his trying lads in the league and then come championship reverting to the old reliables. Many's the player had a great league and for some reason or other were never chanced in the championship.

My hope for Saturday is that we end up by default, due to injuries  "finding" a team. Orme (a fine player) and the rest of the young lads might become something we are looking for and surprise everyone including Horan.

It's die dog or shite the licence time for us on Saturday, after 10 minutes we will know if our young lads are up for it.

Horan is no doubt a good coach but to be considered a great I think he needs to win the big one.

Main Street

That's a good Mayo team, to have Ryan O'Donoghue available would have been overkill.

IolarCoisCuain

I'll be very surprised if that Mayo team starts. I would expect two changes at least, maybe three. I hate this slobbering with dummy teams. I doubt if the players are gone on it either.

Blowitupref

Monaghan team

Rory Beggan
Kieran Duffy
Conor Boyle
Ryan Wylie
Karl O Connell
Dessie Ward
Ryan Mcenespie
Darren Hughes
Niall Kearns
Conor Mccarthy
Kieran Hughes
Micheal Bannigan
Jack McCarron
Gary Mohan
Conor McManus
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose