Mayo V Monaghan Qualifier

Started by joemamas, May 23, 2022, 03:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

A tough test for Mayo, especially given the current injury situation and our continued inability to score points outside of 30-35 yards.
Monaghan had Twelve plus wides and Four shots dropped into goalkeepers hands V Derry, unlikely to repeat this.
Granted Monaghan were opened up Two or Three times for goals, however they are a hardened outfit that have been on the road for a while.
Donie Buckley could also be a factor.
Other than Mayo, I always like to see them win, as I have seen them losing too many big games to Tyrone in Croke Park in the last decade. I also have enormous respect for Conor McManus and a few others on that team.

Just looked the odds for this game, Monaghan +3 at 5/6 jumps off the screen.

Main Street

Most of them wides were not great shot selections.  It was the ball that hit the post that hurt the most, instead of going within 2 points of Derry, they grabbed the ball with a frenzy  and inside of a few seconds it was in the back of the monaghan net. I hope the Mayo lads will be a bit more chilled.

Tubberman

In the league game in Clones, Monaghan hit a lot of bad wides and dropped shots short, so it seems to be a bit of a habit.  Mayo almost didn their usual party piece of gifting them a goal with last play, but got away with it.
Mon could easily have won that game, so will be interesting to see if either team has managed to eradicate the usual failings.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

I was hoping we'd draw an Ulster team, reason being if we're good enough to take one out then great, if not then so be it. Lots of rumours circling in the county regarding injuries etc. I for one hope they aren't as bad as made out to be.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Main Street

We're not pure North, we can swing both ways, north and south.
It's the nordie teams who have been the death of Monaghan in the championship,  in recent years we have done ok against Kerry Galway and Kildare.  Mayo should bring out the finer points of our game.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 23, 2022, 08:19:28 PM
I was hoping we'd draw an Ulster team, reason being if we're good enough to take one out then great, if not then so be it. Lots of rumours circling in the county regarding injuries etc. I for one hope they aren't as bad as made out to be.

Yes, I was hoping for the same! If we are good enough - great! If not - this is the stage to be exiting! I have stuff to be doing this summer.

full moon

I always feel with Monaghan they're a league team and underachieve come championship. Understandable given their population and outstanding league record for a county that size.

We'll know more where they're at after Derry Donegal.

rosnarun

there's never a better time for monaghan to take on mayo .
Our injury situation is almost comical esp with the number of experienced player that have left the panel in the last couple of years.
by my count were down probably 8 probable starters  and a couple of more hopefully back after serious injury  though probably not at full speed yet
definetly / Probably out
Robble hennelly
O mullin
B harrison
plunket
conroy
O donohue
flynn
B walsh
james carr

id be happy enough Mayo will have a strong starting 15 all the same but at some stage teh pool will stat to get very shallow

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Wildweasel74

I take Monaghan to win this one, Just think they got better forwards.

Blowitupref

Monaghan are so unpredictable and inconsistent even this years league showed that with beating Dublin and well beaten by Kildare. Under Banty they are more open defensively and less tactical aware than they were under O'Rourke and I think if Monaghan defend like they did against Derry whereby 3 goals was conceded could have been more i think Mayo will win.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Quote from: rosnarun on May 24, 2022, 02:44:57 PM
there's never a better time for monaghan to take on mayo .
Our injury situation is almost comical esp with the number of experienced player that have left the panel in the last couple of years.
by my count were down probably 8 probable starters  and a couple of more hopefully back after serious injury  though probably not at full speed yet
definetly / Probably out
Robble hennelly
O mullin
B harrison
plunket
conroy
O donohue
flynn
B walsh
james carr

id be happy enough Mayo will have a strong starting 15 all the same but at some stage teh pool will stat to get very shallow

I heard somewhere Hennelly played in a challenge against Cavan. But yeah, there's only so far we can go with the amount of injuries we have.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Main Street

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 24, 2022, 11:16:40 PM
Monaghan are so unpredictable and inconsistent even this years league showed that with beating Dublin and well beaten by Kildare. Under Banty they are more open defensively and less tactical aware than they were under O'Rourke and I think if Monaghan defend like they did against Derry whereby 3 goals was conceded could have been more i think Mayo will win.
Unpredictable and tactically naive under Saint Malachy as well, lost to Fermanagh, Longford, collapsed after being well ahead against Down and Cavan,  across 4 different championships and all when well fancied to win.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Main Street on May 24, 2022, 11:38:57 PM
Unpredictable and tactically naive under Saint Malachy as well, lost to Fermanagh, Longford, collapsed after being well ahead against Down and Cavan,  across 4 different championships and all when well fancied to win.

Yes he had his fair share of poor results against teams Monaghan was expected to beat though in the first three years under O'Rourke brought about three Ulster finals in a row, two titles and conceding just one goal in I think 10 Ulster championship games was a consistent period and of course 2018 reaching the All Ireland semi final was probably a peak.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 25, 2022, 01:08:50 AM
Quote from: Main Street on May 24, 2022, 11:38:57 PM

Yes he had his fair share of poor results against teams Monaghan was expected to beat though in the first three years under O'Rourke brought about three Ulster finals in a row, two titles and conceding just one goal in I think 10 Ulster championship games was a consistent period and of course 2018 reaching the All Ireland semi final was probably a peak.
It's all about timing. Monaghan don't have the luxury of time with a good team. In the Nudie era they couldn't get past Kerry. The 2013 team came up against financially doped Dublin. Last year might have been a chance another time  but it was too late. Would Monaghan at their peak have beaten Mayo in that final ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

most people seem to consider mayo and Monaghan as being similar teams over the last decade or so but the stats just dont back that up Monaghan have not reaced even an allIreland  semi and just a couple of ulsters .
in that time at the business end mayo have beaten Dublin Tyrone Donegal kerry  Galway Roscommon (and Tipp) and while of course not winning finals bring  Dublin in their prime to a replay.
Monaghan havea long way to go to match that , and while as i explained before this is probably their best chance to beat mayo i dont see them improving on that record this year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere