Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: J70 on June 29, 2022, 04:13:13 PM
I don't have time to listen to all the podcasts, even though I cycle an hour each way to and from work.

I just do a few of the OTB ones, including the O'Donoghue/Andrews one, Brendan Devenney's Donegal one, and the one Wooly used to do which now has Darren O'Sullivan, Eamonn McGee etc.

Devenney always has good guests on from other counties when Donegal seniors are in action. Peter Cavanan, Oisin McConville, Joe McMahon and the like.

No idea if he pays them. Or gets paid himself by Highland Radio or when he does guest spots with others.

What podcast does Devenney do?

J70

Quote from: marty34 on June 29, 2022, 05:42:18 PM
I don't have time to listen to all the podcasts, even though I cycle an hour each way to and from work.

I just do a few of the OTB ones, including the O'Donoghue/Andrews one, Brendan Devenney's Donegal one, and the one Wooly used to do which now has Darren O'Sullivan, Eamonn McGee etc.

Devenney always has good guests on from other counties when Donegal seniors are in action. Peter Cavanan, Oisin McConville, Joe McMahon and the like.

No idea if he pays them. Or gets paid himself by Highland Radio or when he does guest spots with others.

https://highlandradio.com/category/dl-debate/

marty34

Quote from: J70 on June 29, 2022, 05:57:28 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 29, 2022, 05:42:18 PM

https://highlandradio.com/category/dl-debate/

Thanks.

JoeSoap

I'd imagine most of the regular ones you see would have a fee, McConville and the likes. Maybe depends on the type of podcast it is too, if it's analytical or more of a story-telling, bitta craic sort of chat.

Fair play to Parkinson for the amount of subs he has. He's obviously not raking in the 20k all on his own but even with overheads and fees for guests etc. it'd still be a nice sum. I don't like listening to him to be honest I had gone away from the GAA Hour towards the end as I thought it was all a little "I'm right and everyone else is wrong, isn't that right Conan?"

He's carved out a following for himself though and I might subscribe to have a listen of the interviews he's done with various players and the likes of David Gough, most of the other pods don't have anything like that, it's just analysis and some of it can be very samey, mostly because McConville (as good as he is) seems to be on every one of them!

Paul Flynn can be interesting on the Second Captains pod when he gets going

Dreadnought

Quote from: God14 on June 29, 2022, 01:45:24 PM

I assume there is some advertising revenue or sponsorship as well?

Once the intercounty stuff ends the subscribers could drop off, but even so, 20k per month. Fair play to him. he left OTB went out on his own & pretty much nailed it

Generally not. I'm on other patreon podcasts, and the whole point of paying extra is you don't gets the sponsors and ads and all that

gallsman

Quote from: JoeSoap on June 29, 2022, 07:25:37 PM
Paul Flynn can be interesting on the Second Captains pod when he gets going

Flynn and McConville can be very good together but Flynn can get very wanky banging on about "culture" and the like.

clarshack

Quote from: God14 on June 29, 2022, 01:45:24 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 29, 2022, 01:38:11 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 29, 2022, 01:24:10 PM
Quote from: tiempo on June 29, 2022, 10:31:03 AM
Parkinson giving out on twatter that the GAA Social podcast got some attention in the print media, what an absolute bitch that man is

Parkinson is a dose.
McConville is excellent and is by far and away the best pundit around.

Both posts are 100% accurate.

Imagine raking in €20k a month and still being a bellend about it

I assume there is some advertising revenue or sponsorship as well?

Once the intercounty stuff ends the subscribers could drop off, but even so, 20k per month. Fair play to him. he left OTB went out on his own & pretty much nailed it

subscribers could drop off for a couple of months but then there will be county finals and provincial club championships to talk about for a while before the intercounty season starts again in January.

ardtole

I have been subscribing to the smaller fish podcast from the start. Its ideal for my commute home, he has a minimum of 4 shows a week with different guests etc.

He was well over 3000 after the first few weeks so there is a steady subscriber base there. It has peaked at over 4000 now for the  business end of the championship and might tail off after the county season is over.

I think he has hit a niche with his club coverage because I enjoy the club championships every bit as much as the county end of things. And id imagine the bulk of the 3000 regular subscribers are probably  the same.

Have to say Aaron Kernan has been very good recently has a great insight to both club and county set ups.

Westside

Wooly is great because he can be so abrasive.

Kernan started talking today about how Armagh got "dragged into" a melee. Parkinson immediately and sternly called him out on it and let him know Armagh started the row. He also called out Joyce on his comments about the penalties and McGeeney for his messing in the press conference.

I think Colm's ability to cut to the chase and call out bullshit where he sees it sets him apart from the rest. It can go too far at times and his personal twitter account can make for grim reading but as long as he sticks to Gaa, he's more entertaining than anyone else out there.

armaghniac

Quote from: Westside on June 30, 2022, 07:51:15 PM

Parkinson immediately and sternly called him out on it and let him know Armagh started the row.

It makes good media, even if it isn't true.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eire90

some of these podcasts get a bit boring at times it just all cliches suppose its better than listening  to radio

Hound

Kernan started talking today about how Armagh got "dragged into" a melee. Parkinson immediately and sternly called him out on it and let him know Armagh started the row. He also called out Joyce on his comments about the penalties and McGeeney for his messing in the press conference.

I think Colm's ability to cut to the chase and call out bullshit where he sees it sets him apart from the rest. It can go too far at times and his personal twitter account can make for grim reading but as long as he sticks to Gaa, he's more entertaining than anyone else out there.
Agree 100% with everything above.
I don't pay for it, but I do miss it a bit and I think Cian Ward is the best analyst out there. Wooly cutting to the chase as laid out is a great example of when he's at the top of his game, but the shite he comes out with on social media was certainly a factor in me deciding not to pay him.

Walter Cronc

McGinley best pundit for me. Makes the tactical details understandable for mere novices.

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 01, 2022, 08:09:00 AM
McGinley best pundit for me. Makes the tactical details understandable for mere novices.

What podcast is McGinley on?

Keyser soze

FS Woolly calling out the bullshit....sure he is the biggest bullshitter of them all.