Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: Mario on June 29, 2022, 11:54:22 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 29, 2022, 10:52:11 AM
Quote from: tiempo on June 29, 2022, 10:31:03 AM
Parkinson giving out on twatter that the GAA Social podcast got some attention in the print media, what an absolute bitch that man is

He only wishes his podcast was as good as the BBC's!!

He has 4k subscribers behind a paywall so he's doing alright. He needs to decide whether he wants his €20k a month or wants to remove the paywall and get the exposure, he can't have it both ways!
I prefer Parkinson's to the BBC but accept it's probably not worth the fee when you can get BBC, off the ball, sportsjoe, RTE and the Irish examiner for free. I find Niblock overly dramatic/emotive sometimes, i like how straight talking wooly is even if i don't always agree with him. Cian Ward and McConville are equally excellent as number 2's.

A unique ability to talk in bulletpoints

gallsman

Quote from: Mario on June 29, 2022, 12:05:08 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 29, 2022, 11:55:38 AM
Parkinson giving out on twatter that the GAA Social podcast got some attention in the print media, what an absolute bitch that man is

He has 4k subscribers behind a paywall so he's doing alright. He needs to decide whether he wants his €20k a month or wants to remove the paywall and get the exposure, he can't have it both ways!

Is there a way to validate the 4k subscribers? Would strike me as extremely high.
It tells you on the Patreon app. It's definitely true.

Fair enough, he's doing more than alright out of it.

Still can't stand him.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Mario on June 29, 2022, 11:54:22 AM

I prefer Parkinson's to the BBC but accept it's probably not worth the fee when you can get BBC, off the ball, sportsjoe, RTE and the Irish examiner for free but i'll keep paying while Derry keep winning! I find Niblock overly dramatic/emotive sometimes, i like how straight talking wooly is even if i don't always agree with him. Cian Ward and McConville are equally excellent as number 2's.

Niblock is sugary and spice and all things nice

Keyser soze

Didn't much like Wooly as a player and even less now as a pundit.

trailer

Parkinson is a dose.
McConville is excellent and is by far and away the best pundit around.

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on June 29, 2022, 01:24:10 PM

Parkinson is a dose.

Both posts are 100% accurate.

Imagine raking in €20k a month and still being a bellend about it

God14

Quote from: Taylor on June 29, 2022, 01:38:11 PM

Parkinson is a dose.

I assume there is some advertising revenue or sponsorship as well?

Once the intercounty stuff ends the subscribers could drop off, but even so, 20k per month. Fair play to him. he left OTB went out on his own & pretty much nailed it

trailer

Quote from: God14 on June 29, 2022, 01:45:24 PM

Parkinson is a dose.

Once the intercounty stuff ends the subscribers could drop off, but even so, 20k per month. Fair play to him. he left OTB went out on his own & pretty much nailed it

Does anyone know the breakdown? I know it is €5 to subscribe but I am sure the platform must take 20% of that. He'll obviously have different costs, equipment, software, guests etc. What would he be taking home?

yellowcard

Parkinson is a dose.

I find it very hard to believe that he is getting €20k a month for a few hours each week of talking a bit of shite about GAA. I'd say its a lot less than that and if people are willing to subscribe and pay him, well you can hardly hold that against him either. I actually like Parkinson on GAA. Doesn't take himself too seriously, will generally call a spade a spade and he is a bit of craic. He doesn't go around sucking up to players and managers like a lot of journalists do just so as to retain access. Some of his other right wing views I wouldn't be too keen on.

McConville is very good as well. Basically anyone who is informed, can articulate their points well, will actually give an opinion rather than sit on the fence for fear of offending someone and who is up for a bit of craic.       

marty34

Quote from: trailer on June 29, 2022, 01:53:24 PM
Quote from: God14 on June 29, 2022, 01:45:24 PM

Parkinson is a dose.

Does anyone know the breakdown? I know it is €5 to subscribe but I am sure the platform must take 20% of that. He'll obviously have different costs, equipment, software, guests etc. What would he be taking home?

Good question.

It must be better than OTB or maybe he has more control over the production of it.

Would guests get paid?

In fairness, there's a lot of Gaa podcasts out there these days. I'd have no preference, just listen to various ones.

I like the ones that focus on an ex-player and goes into a bit of detail about them and not only their playing careers but their lives and youth etc. Some interesting characters. Most of the rest are preview/review type podcasts.

tonto1888

Quote from: yellowcard on June 29, 2022, 01:53:37 PM

Parkinson is a dose.

I find it very hard to believe that he is getting €20k a month for a few hours each week of talking a bit of shite about GAA. I'd say its a lot less than that and if people are willing to subscribe and pay him, well you can hardly hold that against him either. I actually like Parkinson on GAA. Doesn't take himself too seriously, will generally call a spade a spade and he is a bit of craic. He doesn't go around sucking up to players and managers like a lot of journalists do just so as to retain access. Some of his other right wing views I wouldn't be too keen on.

McConville is very good as well. Basically anyone who is informed, can articulate their points well, will actually give an opinion rather than sit on the fence for fear of offending someone and who is up for a bit of craic.       

He must have overheads to pay. Patreom itself. Guests. Cost of production. I had a look there. He has 4038 subscribers. And yes, I am one of them.

Turf

Delighted to see Wooly do well, even more so that people begrudge him.
Jealousy is an awful thing.
He's laughing all the way to the bank. Good on him.

tiempo

Quote from: Turf on June 29, 2022, 03:40:21 PM
Delighted to see Wooly do well, even more so that people begrudge him.
Jealousy is an awful thing.
He's laughing all the way to the bank. Good on him.

Good man Woolberto

FYI, Friday 2nd September 2022 - Talk About Yourself In Third Person Day

galwayman

I enjoyed his podcast when it was free to air. Once it moved behind the paywall that was me finished with it.
Between Netflix, Disney for the kids, tv packages and the like I can't justify paying for podcasts on top.
All the individual monthly subs can amount to a nice sum pretty quickly.

J70

I don't have time to listen to all the podcasts, even though I cycle an hour each way to and from work.

I just do a few of the OTB ones, including the O'Donoghue/Andrews one, Brendan Devenney's Donegal one, and the one Wooly used to do which now has Darren O'Sullivan, Eamonn McGee etc.

Devenney always has good guests on from other counties when Donegal seniors are in action. Peter Cavanan, Oisin McConville, Joe McMahon and the like.

No idea if he pays them. Or gets paid himself by Highland Radio or when he does guest spots with others.