Paul Kimmage article about Athenry club dispute.

Started by Asal Mor, May 07, 2018, 12:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Itchy on May 09, 2018, 01:06:57 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2018, 12:54:05 PM
What is most striking about this imo was the threat to start a new club. Athenry is an amalgamation of at least 3 clubs so there is a history of dysfunction and mé féining  in the parish. This mess threatened to reopen the wound.

On the surface it was about parents but it went a lot deeper.
Typical Galway hurling as well I think. Far too much emotion.

And presumably no coincidence that the senior team is poor and there was no club player on the Galway team that won last year's all Ireland.

Certainly puts a different light on it. Why did the author not mention this?? I've seen a couple of amalgamations down the years that turned into this back biting like this.

I'm betting it's a difference about ethos as well, as I mentioned earlier.

Rudi

I have been coaching for the last 4 years. Getting the parents involved is dodgy they need to do a foundation level course and legally have to be Gardai vetted. Most parents run when they hear this. The days of asking a parent in for help is coming to an end.h

Jinxy

Even if there is more to this than meets the eye, the club would be well-advised to just take their medicine and move on.
There's no percentage in fighting your corner via the national media in a case like this as the bigger guy in the conflict will always look like the bad guy to the casual observer.
Especially when it concerns an issue as emotive as child protection.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 09, 2018, 03:31:09 PM
Even if there is more to this than meets the eye, the club would be well-advised to just take their medicine and move on.
There's no percentage in fighting your corner via the national media in a case like this as the bigger guy in the conflict will always look like the bad guy to the casual observer.
Especially when it concerns an issue as emotive as child protection.
The club needs a Winston Wolf figure . It needs to stop digging. It needs to fix the problem.

https://youtu.be/ANPsHKpti48
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ck

One area that was glossed over in the article but where the hell were two 11 year olds going to play u14s?! So they didn't like their own age group so they bugger off? That would get a rise out of any underage coach.
They club come out of this very poorly no matter what way it's spun but the parents are far from blameless too.

Plain of the Herbs

Galway brought in a bye-law around 1966 that there could only be one club per parish.  On the assumption that bye-law is still there, starting a breakaway club is a non runner.
Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2018, 12:54:05 PM
What is most striking about this imo was the threat to start a new club. Athenry is an amalgamation of at least 3 clubs so there is a history of dysfunction and mé féining  in the parish. This mess threatened to reopen the wound.

On the surface it was about parents but it went a lot deeper.
Typical Galway hurling as well I think. Far too much emotion.

And presumably no coincidence that the senior team is poor and there was no club player on the Galway team that won last year's all Ireland.

manfromdelmonte

This has a huge effect on the national Feile next month.
There's a club from Laois in limbo as they don't know if they've a club to travel down to for the Feile weekend
Plus athenry was  meant to host games

Jinxy

What were they specifically suspended for anyway?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

johnpower

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 07, 2018, 10:02:06 AM
Quote from: WT4E on May 07, 2018, 09:42:45 AM
As a football fan just looking in I would have lost alot of respect for the Athenry club after reading that. Handled very badly from start to finish!!!
To be honest i dont think anyone comes out of that article particularly well.
Poorly handled by the club and Kimmage comes across as  a sanctimonious p***k (not for the first time)

I agree both come out bad . Our club have sent out a note on it at the end of the day volunteers or not in this day and age you need to have a process for dealing with complaints I feel that now that it has been raised at such a level all clubs,volunteers etc take note. In my experience it can happen in all sports (soccer, rugby, Gaa) As a parent I am always in attendance at every match and train8ng session and as a coach I get to know all the parents . I find parents have a different views on bad language but don't use it myself