Criminals should be stripped and whipped in public - Laois FG Councillor

Started by Tubberman, May 11, 2011, 11:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

People may laugh or throw their eyes to heaven, but I actually think ideas like this have a lot of merit.
The current system of throwing them in jail costs an absolute fortune and there is very little 'punishment' invloved.
Anecdotally at least, they meet other criminals who teach them the tricks of the trade and they emerge into society even more likely to continue their criminal ways.

A Laois Fine Gael councillor wants corporal punishment brought back with stripping and whipping dealt out to the culprits of crime.

John Bonham made the remarks following Monday night's kidnapping and armed robbery of a 50-year-old woman in Cullohill.

He said public humiliation for criminals was the only option.

Shirley Bergin was left badly shaken but unharmed after four men with Dublin accents armed with crowbars forced her to leave her home and take them to her place of work, a Topaz filling station.

Councillor Bonham told Midlands 103 he would be interested to hear what "Joe and Mary citizen" thought of his proposal.

"I think Joe and Mary citizen are entitled to do their day's work...without the fear of tiger-kidnappings."

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/laois-councillor-calls-for-criminals-to-be-stripped-and-whipped-in-public-504623.html#ixzz1M2QgsKZd
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

johnneycool

Quote from: Tubberman on May 11, 2011, 11:30:41 AM
People may laugh or throw their eyes to heaven, but I actually think ideas like this have a lot of merit.
The current system of throwing them in jail costs an absolute fortune and there is very little 'punishment' invloved.
Anecdotally at least, they meet other criminals who teach them the tricks of the trade and they emerge into society even more likely to continue their criminal ways.

A Laois Fine Gael councillor wants corporal punishment brought back with stripping and whipping dealt out to the culprits of crime.

John Bonham made the remarks following Monday night's kidnapping and armed robbery of a 50-year-old woman in Cullohill.

Shirley Bergin was left badly shaken but unharmed after four men with Dublin accents armed with crowbars forced her to leave her home and take them to her place of work, a Topaz filling station.

Councillor Bonham told Midlands 103 he would be interested to hear what "Joe and Mary citizen" thought of his proposal.

"I think Joe and Mary citizen are entitled to do their day's work...without the fear of tiger-kidnappings."

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/laois-councillor-calls-for-criminals-to-be-stripped-and-whipped-in-public-504623.html#ixzz1M2QgsKZd

By the time he's finished with the Bankers, Property developers and his fellow politicians he'll have a whip arm like Popeye.

deiseach

Quote from: Tubberman on May 11, 2011, 11:30:41 AM

It'd be more fit of him to do the decent thing and reform Led Zeppelin.

I'll get my coat . . .

whiskeysteve

he obviously doesn't have a Whole Lotta Love for these criminals...

(exit stage right)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

no mo do yakamo

It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

thejuice

Make them sit through the 30 minute drum solo from "The Song remains the Same".
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maguire01

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

The criminals that did the most damage got massive pensions. Eugene Sheehy, Brian Lenihan, Patrick Neary, Seanie Fitz, Fingers. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU