Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

In the IN today Mc Donnell says there were leaks and made up stories being fed to the media from within the camp ??? ???

Zapatista

Quote from: full back on July 22, 2009, 09:29:51 AM
In the IN today Mc Donnell says there were leaks and made up stories being fed to the media from within the camp ??? ???

Souds like an appealing job.

illdecide

What about Bumpy O'Hagan?. Managed the clans for 4 years and won the div 2 as they had been relegated the year b4, the following year took them to 2nd in the league behind Cross and got to the County final. He also won 2 North Armagh cups. He's currently manager of Glenswilly in Donegal and has improved them immensely and will be hoping for a Donegal senior championship this year.

He would be ideal for the job (although like Marsden is a bit young) and would take no nonsense from anyone nor would he be a "Yes man" to the County Board.

To tell you the truth, picking the next Armagh manager is not an easy task and i wouldn't like to be involved in it. There are too many men out there with average CV's who wouldn't be good for the team and all the best managers are in a job. Someone mentioned "Banty" earlier and he might be a good choice, he's very passinate and knows his football and he wouldn't have that far to travel.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Mc Alinden is the man for the job, as he is the only Armagh manager of recent times with experience of taking over a demoralised team at rock bottom and transforming them into a success story. Also it is possible to learn from mistakes made in a previous era,as Joe showed when he returned in 2002 (after a less than successful previous spell with Paddy Mo in the late 80s early 90s).

Joe has had his day, and we don't want a Art Mc Rory like figure, whom we turn to every three years in a mini crisis, like Tyrone did, and its too early for Mc Geeney and Grimley

BerfArmagh

Theres a lot of talk that big joe is on his way back!! WHich I have mixed feeling about. I'd like to see a team of mc alinden & rafferty, with maybe marsden or mc grane unvolved

illdecide

Quote from: T Fearon on July 22, 2009, 09:55:56 AM
Mc Alinden is the man for the job, as he is the only Armagh manager of recent times with experience of taking over a demoralised team at rock bottom and transforming them into a success story. Also it is possible to learn from mistakes made in a previous era,as Joe showed when he returned in 2002 (after a less than successful previous spell with Paddy Mo in the late 80s early 90s).

Joe has had his day, and we don't want a Art Mc Rory like figure, whom we turn to every three years in a mini crisis, like Tyrone did, and its too early for Mc Geeney and Grimley

I think your talking a bit of sense there Tony...McAlinden it is.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

I always talk sense. ;D Hope he brings back Barney Canavan also, who I've become really matey with in recent years. ;D

orangeman

Quote from: full back on July 22, 2009, 09:29:51 AM

Lovely lads that would do that.

armaghniac

On RTÉ it said that McDonnell would be issuing a statement later on. It gave the clear impression that he as pushed to a large extent.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

What's the timeline of events here? Maybe I've this wrong but didn't he meet with the CB last week, and then yesterday - a week later? That suggests that he intimated last week that he wanted to leave and was asked to sleep on it for a week but he remained true to his original stance. 

Or, he was told last week to outline the way forward and they'd make a decision on it in a week?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

No option but to leave Armagh: McDonnell

Peter McDonnell stepped down as Armagh manager last night.

Citing outside influences for his decision McDonnell said: "It's not a decision we took lightly, but the management team felt there were forces at work that were undermining us at every turn.

"There has been a concerted campaign from the start of this year.

"There were always stories of discontent and splits in the camp which were all fabricated.

"It got to the stage that no matter what we were trying to do, we were being seriously undermined.

"We took on the job with the best of intentions and the vast majority of players were more than honest and there was a genuine desire to succeed, but we didn't have the power to fight those outside influences and ultimately that brought us to our decision."

The Mullaghbawn headmaster said there was a great sense of honesty within the Armagh squad.

"Certain people wanted change that much we weren't going to be part of something that was going to be continually sabotaged," said McDonnell.

"The whole concept of putting Armagh first was blown out of the water with such activities.

"Not a single man on the management team was on the payroll and we felt it better that we take the initiative and stand down rather than stay on and be humiliated."

The reality is that there was a small but vociferous group undermining the entire set up making it impossible for the management committee to operate in such an environment.

Those who have been quick to criticise the Armagh manager should realise there was no mad rush for the job when big Joe Kernan stepped down in the summer of 2007 after losing to Kerry in the All Ireland qualifiers.

In his first year at the managerial helm McDonnell guided the Orchard county to Ulster championship success before losing to Wexford in the All Ireland quarter-final.

Two years ago he led the county to under-21 provincial success before losing out at the semi-final stage to a very impressive Cork outfit.

Long before that he led his native Mullaghbawn to Armagh and Ulster club success.

All that though was quickly forgotten when Armagh crashed out to Monaghan in the All Ireland qualifiers after extra- time in Clones.

Some will argue that the buck stops with the manager, but in playing terms Armagh aren't exactly blessed with an embarrassment of riches at present.

Gerry O'Neill, who led the Orchard County to the 1977 All Ireland final against Dublin, often said that went the team won the players got the credit and they lost the manager took the wrap.

It seems little has changed in the intervening years.

Peter McDonnell served Armagh football well at a difficult time and that should never be forgotten.

And all that time he has remained a humble, honest man and one of great integrity — until last night's departure.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/no-option-but-to-leave-armagh-mcdonnell-14422266.html
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Real1995

I think Peter should be thanked for the time and effort put into the team this past 2 years, from knowing Peter, he put his heart and sole into this team, he tried his utmost and although he would have wanted greater success things did not work out, thanks for an Ulster title,something many Armagh managers in the past failed to deliver.....

As for his successor I think we should be looking outside Joe K and McAlinden, very rarely to you see previous managers coming back as being successful....
Nice guys always finish second!

orangeman

Jesus but this is a sad and shocking insight into the state of Armagh GAA at the minute. It begs the question : who other than a lunatic would want to take on the job ??

There has been a concerted campaign from the start of this year.

"There were always stories of discontent and splits in the camp which were all fabricated.

"It got to the stage that no matter what we were trying to do, we were being seriously undermined.

"We took on the job with the best of intentions and the vast majority of players were more than honest and there was a genuine desire to succeed, but we didn't have the power to fight those outside influences and ultimately that brought us to our decision."

The Mullaghbawn headmaster said there was a great sense of honesty within the Armagh squad.

"Certain people wanted change that much we weren't going to be part of something that was going to be continually sabotaged," said McDonnell.

"The whole concept of putting Armagh first was blown out of the water with such activities.

TacadoirArdMhacha

What outside influences is he referring to?

It seems fair to say at this point that McDonnell lost the dressing room. Is this not simply an issue between players and management that "outside influences" had little to do with.

And is it also not fair to say that without other "outside influences" Paul Grimley would have become manager in 2007?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

DuffleKing

It seems that the same outside influences that got mcdonnell the job originally have been undermining him over the past year. perhaps that was the plan all along?

i heard that he was actually going to name jk and a county board member from cross in his statement in the irish news but appears he backed out.