Kerry V Antrim

Started by magickingdom, July 19, 2009, 11:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

so is this the start of kerrys revenge against our northern brothers? tho i'm annoyed its at a neutral venue its a novel pairing. cant remember kerry meeting antrim in the championship before (tho i'm not 125 years) so it'll be interesting....

Gold

we'll be taking revenge for your rough -house tactics in 1946
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

blanketattack

Quote from: magickingdom on July 19, 2009, 11:03:49 PM
so is this the start of kerrys revenge against our northern brothers? tho i'm annoyed its at a neutral venue its a novel pairing. cant remember kerry meeting antrim in the championship before (tho i'm not 125 years) so it'll be interesting....

1912  Jones' Road August 25 Semi-Final Antrim 3-5 Kerry 0-2.
1946 Croke Park  August 18th Semi-Final Kerry 2-7 Antrim 0-10.

They're playing for keeps.

laoisgaa

The GAA has confirmed that the All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Qualifier between Antrim and Kerry will have a 2pm throw in on Sunday at O'Connor Park, Tullamore.

The game will be refereed by Donegal official Jimmy White

AZOffaly

2 pm!!! Bollox. Ferbane have a championship game on Sunday at 12 in Ballycumber. It'll be tight.

laoisgaa

Yeah amazingly I was thinking the same AZ. I think i'm down to cover both games!!!!!!

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2009, 05:31:28 PM
2 pm!!! Bollox. Ferbane have a championship game on Sunday at 12 in Ballycumber. It'll be tight.

Kerry and Antrim might be late in starting anyway.

paulmacc

Saffron manager Liam Bradley has already hit out at the choice of venue for the qualifier against the Kingdom.

Following discussions between Antrim and Croke Park on Tuesday, an earlier start time was announced.

Bradley believes the game should be staged at Parnell Park in Dublin after the Saffrons hurling side play Offaly.

"It's a disgrace - you've got these bureaucrats at Croke Park who haven't a clue," Bradley told the Irish News.

"You would have got 7,000 or 8,000 Antrim fans going to Dublin but you'll be lucky to get 1,500 at Tullamore."

He added: "Antrim hurlers are playing Offaly at Parnell Park and it was obvious to put the footballers on after them for a double-header.

"I hear they're using the U2 concert at Croke Park as an excuse and the Kerry supporters will have trouble getting into Parnell Park. Sure

there'll be no Kerry people at it anyway."

I think your right Liam!!!

stew

Quote from: paulmacc on July 23, 2009, 01:49:37 PM
Saffron manager Liam Bradley has already hit out at the choice of venue for the qualifier against the Kingdom.

Following discussions between Antrim and Croke Park on Tuesday, an earlier start time was announced.

Bradley believes the game should be staged at Parnell Park in Dublin after the Saffrons hurling side play Offaly.

"It's a disgrace - you've got these bureaucrats at Croke Park who haven't a clue," Bradley told the Irish News.

"You would have got 7,000 or 8,000 Antrim fans going to Dublin but you'll be lucky to get 1,500 at Tullamore."

He added: "Antrim hurlers are playing Offaly at Parnell Park and it was obvious to put the footballers on after them for a double-header.

"I hear they're using the U2 concert at Croke Park as an excuse and the Kerry supporters will have trouble getting into Parnell Park. Sure

there'll be no Kerry people at it anyway."

I think your right Liam!!!

:D

He is right, there will be a few Kerry wans there but this decision is a disgrace, it would make far more sense to have the footballers and hurlers from Antrim play at the same stadium and it would boost the size of the crowd. Somebody needs to shake the decision makers on this fiasco.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

armaghniac

It isn't that easy, the two games would not fit in Parnell Pk without tickets, and I presume that Antrim did not wish to move the hurling to Tullamore.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magickingdom

mods, any chance ye'd merge this with the other kerry v antrim thread? i didnt realise one was open (by only a few minutes in my defence!) when i started this one

paulmacc

Quote from: armaghniac on July 23, 2009, 07:17:25 PM
It isn't that easy, the two games would not fit in Parnell Pk without tickets, and I presume that Antrim did not wish to move the hurling to Tullamore.

Why not? Parnell Park holds 13500. It 's highly unlikely Offaly and Kerry will bring more than 3 or 4 thousand between them and Antrim at most might bring 7 or 8 thousand.

armaghniac

QuoteWhy not? Parnell Park holds 13500. It 's highly unlikely Offaly and Kerry will bring more than 3 or 4 thousand between them and Antrim at most might bring 7 or 8 thousand.

it is difficult to say, there are quite a few people with Kerry connections in Dublin as well as any travelling support and there were a more than 7000 Antrim people in Clones. The point is that if the crowd might be more than 80% of the capacity then tickets are required, which is hard to manage. Of course everything would have fitted into Navan or Portlaoise.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BerfArmagh

tyssam5

Quote from: BerfArmagh on July 24, 2009, 03:32:41 PM
Never thought i'd see the day, Rte is backing antrim for an upset

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0724/antim_kerry.html

To be honest I didn't think Antrim were great at all in the their last game. There defence was no where near the level of what Sligo put up to Kerry in the last game. Kerry by 5.