New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2016, 03:32:37 PM
Booked it using my Revolut card which saved me 30 euro compared to Air BnB's crappy FX rate

Sorry for hijack - I'm interested in this thing.  I'm going to be booking quite a few hotels in $US over the next while.  Do the recipients need to have this Revolut thing enabled?  i.e. if I am booking with Holiday Inn, do they need to have a facility to allow me to be able to make the payments through it?

gallsman

Revolut is simply a MasterCard, of which you can keep a virtual and physical copy, so in terms of online transactions, it's just like any other card. It's not a payment service, so no need for the other side to have or enabled

I'm still learning but I've not come across any issues yet. I have read online that a few people have had issues with trying to use it in hotels for things like pre-authorisation as a security deposit, as it's a pre paid debit card, not a credit card.

For your holiday inn example, if you're booking online in advance, it should be fine. When going to pay, make sure you're using the US version of the site, the price is coming up in dollars and enter a valid US address as the boking address (pick one in a state without sales tax).

Your best option is to download the app, set up an account and start playing around a bit to get used to it and what it can be used for. If making online purchases abroad, it's an absolute no brainer to do it.

Hound

Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2016, 05:03:35 PM

I'm still learning but I've not come across any issues yet. I have read online that a few people have had issues with trying to use it in hotels for things like pre-authorisation as a security deposit, as it's a pre paid debit card, not a MasterCard.

For your holiday inn example, if you're booking online in advance, it should be fine. When going to pay, make sure you're using the US version of the site, the price is coming up in dollars and enter a valid US address as the boking address (pick one in a state without sales tax).

Yeah, its a credit card, but you use it like a debit card - you must have money in your account in the appropriate currency for the Revolut/Mastercard credit card to get authorised.  I haven't had any probelm getting billed in USD/GBP for stuff when using my Irish address, but haven't used it that often yet.

Rois

Sounds great - we're going on a 3 week roadtrip that will require booking for 20 nights plus an internal US flight, and we like to pay everything in advance where we can, so sounds like something I would benefit from.  I shall do the research accordingly!  Thanks.

Aristo 60

Rois you've so many holidays that getting home must be like a holiday  :)

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2016, 03:32:37 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 15, 2016, 05:29:16 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 15, 2016, 05:25:22 PM
I've looked at Jersey before. Would it be fine you think? Not too much of a pain? Flying to Newark so it would be handy.
Jersey City has only one really nice and safe spot - if you stay near transportation its grand
Hoboken is great.  Worked there for 6 years. It's 10 mins in to downtown manhattan - 5 to south street seaport. Will cost you $2 each time.  You'll want a break from the hussle and bussle of manhattan and its the perfect spot....

Just booked at last for a spot in Hoboken with Air BnB for six nights. It's right beside an apparently famous place called Carlo's Bake Shop that my host is already telling me I have to visit asap. Booked it using my Revolut card which saved me 30 euro compared to Air BnB's crappy FX rate so it works out at €125 a night including all the taxes and fees. About as good as I could have hoped for for somewhere decent based on the prices I saw!
Carlos bake shop has it's own TV show - The Cake Boss.  It's been on TV for 6 or 7 years now I think. Some great food (not the healthiest but you're on holidays).  The walk form there to the PATH train to Manhattan would be 2-3 mins.  Buy yourself a METRO card and top it up with $20 and you'll be good.  Couple of handy bars close by - Green Rock, Texas Arizona and Coopers Union.  Scotland Yard has great live music and 'Black Bear' was my go to spot for a feed. the Dubliner has a roof top beer garden - nice spot and a decent pint.  Stay away from "the cage" unless thats your cup of tea.... ;)
La Isla - real cuban spot for lunch - all spanish speaking. Make sure to take a walk around Frank sinatra Park for photos of Manhattan. Theres a "zip car" always parked one block form where you are staying if you want to take a spin down to the jersey shore....
If you need anything else when you're there let me know - both my brother in laws still live in Hoboken - IM me on here sure
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DrinkingHarp

My Mom is going to NYC for New Years with a friend of hers. They are looking for a hotel that would be close to Times Square (walking distance) and to sight see around walking. Which hotel would you recommend that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and it is also in a safe place? Budget would be between 200-450 USD a night.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

podge

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on October 24, 2016, 10:40:54 PM
My Mom is going to NYC for New Years with a friend of hers. They are looking for a hotel that would be close to Times Square (walking distance) and to sight see around walking. Which hotel would you recommend that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and it is also in a safe place? Budget would be between 200-450 USD a night.

I have stayed in a nice boutique hotel on 38th street between 6th and 7th avenue- called 'The Refinery'.  5 minute walk from Times Square

Its probably at the upper end of your price range though.

Orior

I stayed here during the summer:

http://www.wolcott.com/

I thought it was a tad expensive. Walking distance to the Empire State and Times Square. Ah FFS, when I booked it I didn't know about this, back in 2007:

http://bedbugregistry.com/hotel/NY/New-York/Hotel-Wolcott

It was just about clean enough. But I didn't like the way there was no breakfast, other than free coffee and muffins.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

DrinkingHarp

On Orbitz found two that look promising, can anyone give info on these two?

Executive Hotel Le Soliel New York

The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center

Newbridge Exile

Stayed in the Affinia 50 before , good hotel and good location (on 50th between 3rd and Lexington)

J70

Why in the name of Jesus would you want to be anywhere near Times Square on New Years Eve?! :)

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: J70 on October 24, 2016, 11:13:48 PM
Why in the name of Jesus would you want to be anywhere near Times Square on New Years Eve?! :)

They are a little older and want the walking convenience, wouldnt find me there  too many People.

Jell 0 Biafra

They won't be able to walk anywhere in Times Sq on New Year's Eve.  Between the crowds and the barricades, unless their idea of a good time is standing in the cold from about 4 in the afternoon, and not being able to get near a toilet, forget about it.

muppet

Quote from: J70 on October 24, 2016, 11:13:48 PM

The last place I would want to be.
MWWSI 2017