Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Folks my laptop is running on Windows 7 and has been running like a dream up until this morning, the internet is fine and so are all the rest of the software with the exception of Microsoft Outlook. When i click on it to open up the tab alerts you that you clicked on it but the page won't extend itself up, when you hover over it it's showing like a blank outlook page but Outlook still won't open up. All the rest of the software opens up within Office like word and excel etc no problem...

Does that sound like a corrupt file or some sort of virus? I ran a antivirus check earlier and it found nothing and also ran the malwarebytes and it found one corrupt file and safely removed it.

P.S. i have emails on it i don't wanna lose or i would just remove it and re install Office
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

Quote from: illdecide on May 02, 2011, 11:09:51 PM
Folks my laptop is running on Windows 7 and has been running like a dream up until this morning, the internet is fine and so are all the rest of the software with the exception of Microsoft Outlook. When i click on it to open up the tab alerts you that you clicked on it but the page won't extend itself up, when you hover over it it's showing like a blank outlook page but Outlook still won't open up. All the rest of the software opens up within Office like word and excel etc no problem...

Does that sound like a corrupt file or some sort of virus? I ran a antivirus check earlier and it found nothing and also ran the malwarebytes and it found one corrupt file and safely removed it.

P.S. i have emails on it i don't wanna lose or i would just remove it and re install Office

Dont know why you're getting the problem, but before you start mucking about you should take a backup of your main Outlook file, called outlook.ost
You will find it in the folder .....\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

Quote from: Orior on May 02, 2011, 10:22:39 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite at home (64 bit Windows 7). Last week, the wireless stopped working. The facts are

- wireless works okay on other laptops
- toshiba ethernet cable works okay

- F8 wireless switch does not appear. The F8 function is missing when I hit the FN button

So, I down loaded and updated a couple of drivers (Realtech lan, wireless client, wireless manager) but no joy.

Could be a hardware issue?

Anyone any ideas?
Can you turn on the wireless manually, in network settings?

Does the problem exist when you have the laptop on ac power?

illdecide

System restore done the trick
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

screenmachine

Lads, does anyone know anywhere you can get Screen magnifiers that sit on top of your screen and increase the size of the print, etc.?  Somewhere local (NI) would be handy but anywhere within the UK would do really?

Thanks.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Denn Forever

What is Virtual Memory?

I am getting a message that Virtual memory is low so what does that mean?

The computer is used only as a giant mp3 player and for downloading mp3s.  It is about 5 years old and it is running continuously playing mp3 on shuffle. Have I to get rid of some tracks or what?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Tony Baloney

Lads I appear to have something on my laptop called Windows Antivirus Pro. It looks like an antivirus programme but my friends at google inform me it is malware. Coincidentally or not I cannot access the Internet nor will my iPhone logon to the wireless router as it says the password is incorrect.

Are these things linked, anyone know about the rogue programme and how to get rid of it? As I can't access the Internet via the laptop I cannot download the required tools to remove it.

tyrone86

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 17, 2011, 05:08:05 PM
Lads I appear to have something on my laptop called Windows Antivirus Pro. It looks like an antivirus programme but my friends at google inform me it is malware. Coincidentally or not I cannot access the Internet nor will my iPhone logon to the wireless router as it says the password is incorrect.

Are these things linked, anyone know about the rogue programme and how to get rid of it? As I can't access the Internet via the laptop I cannot download the required tools to remove it.

The reason you can't log onto the internet is that the malware has changed the settings in your internet options > connections > LAN settings so that the use a proxy server box is checked. Uncheck it and you should get your internet back.  System restore followed by a virus check should do the trick to get rid of the virus, but I find it strange that the iphone won't log on to the wireless.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyrone86 on May 17, 2011, 05:52:57 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 17, 2011, 05:08:05 PM

The reason you can't log onto the internet is that the malware has changed the settings in your internet options > connections > LAN settings so that the use a proxy server box is checked. Uncheck it and you should get your internet back.  System restore followed by a virus check should do the trick to get rid of the virus, but I find it strange that the iphone won't log on to the wireless.
All boxes were unchecked so that doesn't appear to be the issue.

imtommygunn

Are you sure you're using the correct password?

Do you think that your router password has been changed by this virus?(I find that hard to believe) If you think so reset your router to factory settings - a google will find you details on this - and you will be able to log on it. Also clear all browser etc cache on your laptop. Have you the likes of malware bytes or the like?

Also do you have restore points for your machine? You may find you have them by default.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 17, 2011, 09:34:00 PM
Are you sure you're using the correct password?

Do you think that your router password has been changed by this virus?(I find that hard to believe) If you think so reset your router to factory settings - a google will find you details on this - and you will be able to log on it. Also clear all browser etc cache on your laptop. Have you the likes of malware bytes or the like?

Also do you have restore points for your machine? You may find you have them by default.
I went through a whole handling a couple of weeks ago getting wifi back up again as my ISP gave me a new modem but forgot to mention that the DNS had changed. It has been working fine. I blame the wife. I have tried connecting straight to router via Ethernet cable and still no luck. I need to get rid of this malware before I do anything but with no access I'm stuck!

If I check status of either wifi or LAN I am sending and receiving packets and all lights on router are as they should be. I just cannot access any web pages.

imtommygunn

What are you doing at present ? 3g/gprs through iphone / whatever mobile device?

How are you verifying you are sending packets out of interest? If you stick an ethernet cable in can you check the IP address?

You don't have any backup laptop per chance?

I understand that a virus may block you from router but I find it hard to believe it has locked your wireless out. Not to ask the obvious but have you done the old restart etc?

What is the manifestation of your iphone problem? I assume since DNS changed it's been working? (I haven't got an iphone but am assuming DNS has to be configured at some level)

Tony Baloney

I'm back in business. Did an old system restore, rebooted modem and router and I'm back online.

Cheers.

Tony Baloney

What is the best anti-virus, protector against malware, Internet security application out there? Any of these freebies like avast any good?

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 17, 2011, 10:31:07 PM
I'm back in business. Did an old system restore, rebooted modem and router and I'm back online.

Cheers.

Thanks for wasting everyones time.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"