Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: bigfrank on April 07, 2011, 05:51:01 PM
So i had to go into safe mode to get this far on my laptop so i can get ask wtf is going on :( when i load it up the ordinary way...the wee loading icon keeps spinning and it wont load up...it also wont let me get the start up bar uo i can maybe restore or something....any help please??

Did you install something new just before this happened? If you did uninstall it when in safe mode. If that doesn't work id use safe mode to get your important files of the machine and then reinstall windows. Probably windows got corrupted, more likely than a hard drive failure.

bigfrank

After what can only be described a fumble in the dark i have managed after some trial and error to restore my laptop till a few weeks ago...it kind of seems like it is working fine now...i have installed AVG...Malwarebytes that hardy recommened above....was going to re install google chrome as thats what i was using and liked how it stored everything as u went along...maybe i should just stick with internet explorer for now.....in my action center it is suggesting i 'set up backup' but im not even sure what that means....is there anything else that i shoudl download....thanks for everyones help above too...

ps windows update are also suggesting i have 63 important available and 5 optional updates are avaiable??? what am i supposed to do with this????

mylestheslasher

Quote from: bigfrank on April 08, 2011, 05:50:02 PM
After what can only be described a fumble in the dark i have managed after some trial and error to restore my laptop till a few weeks ago...it kind of seems like it is working fine now...i have installed AVG...Malwarebytes that hardy recommened above....was going to re install google chrome as thats what i was using and liked how it stored everything as u went along...maybe i should just stick with internet explorer for now.....in my action center it is suggesting i 'set up backup' but im not even sure what that means....is there anything else that i shoudl download....thanks for everyones help above too...

ps windows update are also suggesting i have 63 important available and 5 optional updates are avaiable??? what am i supposed to do with this????

Install the updates and do a backup as suggested.

bigfrank

A back of up what myles??? I have next to nothing that i need to save...ie documents/photos...installed updates and downloaded internet explorer 9 and hoping it works fine...

Dave

Not exactly a computer problem but sort of is.

I have a Acer laptop that I want to connect to my TV.
I have a VGA output on the laptop but no s-video output but on my old SD TV I have a s-video but no VGA..
I have bought numerous leads and looked and various websites but can't find a solution to what I'd imagine is a simple enough problem.
Can anyone help?

Radda bout yeee

Similar problem to above:

I have a Toshiba Sattelite L350D and I want to connect it to a panasonic tv. I dunno if i have the correct ports on either product but was wondering if anyone knows which lead i should buy??

mylestheslasher

If your tv is new it should have a vga port just like what's on your laptop. Then buy a vga to vga connection cable. If not you will need a unit called a tv scanner or pc to tv converter which is a box that can convert signals and provides some connections. The latter is more expensive

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 28, 2011, 07:13:28 AM
If your tv is new it should have a vga port just like what's on your laptop. Then buy a vga to vga connection cable. If not you will need a unit called a tv scanner or pc to tv converter which is a box that can convert signals and provides some connections. The latter is more expensive

Thanks for the reply!
I got a VGA to VGA cable with the tv but when i connect it from the laptop to the tv it shows the picture but the sound won't come through the tv - it only comes through the laptop!  :(
Any idea why this is or what i'm doing wrong?

mylestheslasher

Your doing nothing wrong, VGA will not transfer sound, video only. You still could be able to get a "headphone" jack and use it to transfer the sound into the TV (red and white connection I think). For a opne cable solution you would need a DVI out on your laptop, a HDMI connection on your TV and a DVI to HDMI connection cable.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on April 28, 2011, 09:28:47 AM

Thanks for the reply!
I got a VGA to VGA cable with the tv but when i connect it from the laptop to the tv it shows the picture but the sound won't come through the tv - it only comes through the laptop!  :(

Sound doesn't pass through the VGA cable.  You will need another cable to go from your laptop to the TV as well.  From your Headphone socket on the laptop to the audio rca ports on the tv (Red and White) ones. 

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on April 28, 2011, 10:21:08 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Sound doesn't pass through the VGA cable.  You will need another cable to go from your laptop to the TV as well.  From your Headphone socket on the laptop to the audio rca ports on the tv (Red and White) ones.

Cheers.
Would the following cable work?
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002701&langId=-1&searchTerms=jack rca audio cable#pdpProductReviews

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on April 28, 2011, 11:23:30 AM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on April 28, 2011, 10:21:08 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers.
Would the following cable work?
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002701&langId=-1&searchTerms=jack rca audio cable#pdpProductReviews

Yep thats the job!!

Goldengreen

Quote from: Dave on April 14, 2011, 04:59:10 PM
Not exactly a computer problem but sort of is.

I have a Acer laptop that I want to connect to my TV.
I have a VGA output on the laptop but no s-video output but on my old SD TV I have a s-video but no VGA..
I have bought numerous leads and looked and various websites but can't find a solution to what I'd imagine is a simple enough problem.
Can anyone help?

have this box myself, does the job perfectly  VGA -> Converter -> S Video,  composite, RCA, AV
http://www.amazon.com/PC-To-TV-Video-Converter/dp/B001CJOLBW

FL/MAYO

Orior

I have a Toshiba Satellite at home (64 bit Windows 7). Last week, the wireless stopped working. The facts are

- wireless works okay on other laptops
- toshiba ethernet cable works okay
- F8 wireless switch does not appear. The F8 function is missing when I hit the FN button

So, I down loaded and updated a couple of drivers (Realtech lan, wireless client, wireless manager) but no joy.

Could be a hardware issue?

Anyone any ideas?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians