Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

4.32Mb/s download = poor?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on March 18, 2011, 08:43:07 AM
I'm sure you know what I meant - the small b! 9Mbps. The non-solution to the problem is whats driving me nuts!
As I sorta wrote, your card is choking the download speed.
Afaics, you don't have a configuration problem as your G card is operating at optimum.

54 Mbps  Megabit-per-second =54000 Kbps  =6.75 MB/sec

armaghniac

You can't blame the BT service unless you are using the network cable. On the wireless there are several potential issues that might restrict your speed, the card, wireless interference from something else, even distance to the hub.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

kumquat

Right folks, I have a laptop which is a few years old. Today I turned it on and it went through the usual noises but nothing appeared on the monitor. I connected it to my pc monitor and it appeared on it. You can just make out the faint windows desktop on the laptop. Is there anyway of getting it fixed?
Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: kumquat on March 21, 2011, 09:05:58 PM
Right folks, I have a laptop which is a few years old. Today I turned it on and it went through the usual noises but nothing appeared on the monitor. I connected it to my pc monitor and it appeared on it. You can just make out the faint windows desktop on the laptop. Is there anyway of getting it fixed?

Hate to tell you the obvious but your monitor is probably fried. You could get a replacement one and fit it but depending on your model it could be tricky and could cost you maybe €100. New laptops available for €350 these days so maybe it is time for an upgrade. You could also consider claiming on your house insurance if it covers contents?

tyssam5

Your light isn't coming on, 2 possible reason. One is the inverter board (small board in your monitor casing) is done the other is the light itself. The first is most likely as easiest to fix. Go to ebay and look up inverter board for your particular model, should be able to get one <$20. It is not too hard to replace, if you google it you might get lucky and find step-by-step guide for your model, I did for mine recently.

Mhic Easmuint

Is anyone else's internet slow tonight?
Everything fine here internal in the house so checking if it maybe a wider network issue, BT or the likes if anyone is having similiar problems. 
It does load very slowy, like this page but if try to download a file it is virtually impossible

armaghniac

Quotes anyone else's internet slow tonight?
Everything fine here internal in the house

your neighbour is tapped into your wireless.....
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: armaghniac on March 22, 2011, 12:37:41 AM
Quotes anyone else's internet slow tonight?
Everything fine here internal in the house

your neighbour is tapped into your wireless.....
Nope, know my own network and its fine. 
Had disabled the wireless earlier and it was the same, even tries using an old usb modem and it was the same craic.

Main Street

Quote from: tyssam5 on March 21, 2011, 09:37:49 PM

Your light isn't coming on, 2 possible reason. One is the inverter board (small board in your monitor casing) is done the other is the light itself. The first is most likely as easiest to fix. Go to ebay and look up inverter board for your particular model, should be able to get one <$20. It is not too hard to replace, if you google it you might get lucky and find step-by-step guide for your model, I did for mine recently.
Yep, the inverter board is an easy enough job but if that doesn't do it,  changing the bulb is beyond the capabilities of most.   
Revert to insurance policy is advisable at that stage.

turkey+ham

Need to get an external hard drive to store movies and photos. Don't know much about tech, aprt from I'll need at least 7gb to begin with. Anyone using these, or advice on what to buy. Could spend up to £100 :-\

Square Ball

we got a terrabyte external hard drive from currys for £45, no bother from it what so ever
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

pintsofguinness

Quote from: turkey+ham on March 22, 2011, 08:48:15 PM
Need to get an external hard drive to store movies and photos. Don't know much about tech, aprt from I'll need at least 7gb to begin with. Anyone using these, or advice on what to buy. Could spend up to £100 :-\
You'll not need to spend £100! I've got couple of seagate ones and they're grand, could go for that make.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on March 23, 2011, 09:32:52 AM
Any php experts in here? I am receiving the following code from a Wordpress page and I head is wrecked reading code:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in (site address goes in here) layout_contact_page.php on line 310

Thats just saying in line 310 of the file layout_contact_page.php, you have an extra or non corresponding closing bracket

theskull1

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on March 21, 2011, 09:46:19 PM
Is anyone else's internet slow tonight?
Everything fine here internal in the house so checking if it maybe a wider network issue, BT or the likes if anyone is having similiar problems. 
It does load very slowy, like this page but if try to download a file it is virtually impossible

My internet was really slow Monday evening. Pipex
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera