Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 21, 2011, 06:21:20 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on February 21, 2011, 06:11:00 PM
Sorry for asking tommy but Linux is what exactly and how would it help???

Linix is an alternative operating system to Windows.  Don't know if you can convertt Word Documents/Excel/Power Point etc directly into Linix based programs.
Openoffice would do it.

To be honest reading back Frank I would say pay for your OS and then use everything else free. It has sounded more trouble than it's worth.

Linux is an alternative however it would be difficult enough to install etc if you didn't know what you're doing.(Not saying you don't but it's mostly techy geeks who use it)

supersarsfields

Having a problem with my computer. Evertime I open Internet explored it opens up but then after a couple of seconds I get an error message. It's connecting ok so would it be a virus or anyone have any idea how to fix it?

AbbeySider

My friends home PC is very sick at the minute and I cant seem to get rid of the Virus / Spyware.

Its called System Tool, and when you startup the PC and log into any profile a fake Virus Scan starts and tells you your PC in infected and to upgrade the software to fix it. When you decline the offer it hogs the processor and changes your desktop background to a warning message, as well as pop up again and again with the fake scan. It also effects IE and Firefox.

So far I have restarted in Safe Mode with Networking and the Virus has defeated updated Virus Definition versions of:
- Avast
- Malware Bytes Anti Malware
- Spy Bot Search and Destroy

Im running out of ideas and dont want to fcuk around with the registry, is there any removal tool out there? Has anyone heard of this one yet?

RealSpiritof98

I cant get into google, everytime I enter it says that my server cannot locate the address, has some rival put a block on?

bigfrank

Screen Brightness??? how do u adjust it?? prob really easy so sorry for asking......

bigfrank

seems to be a problem a day with me and this laptop...after installin the new software...windows 7 home premium and gettin laptop back to its best i now have the fan constantly blowing/humming....seems like its workin way too hard if that makes sense???? I can hear it quite clearly...can i turn it off...change timer or something....

amallon

BigFrank - The cooling fan will kick in when the CPU is working hard and at its hottest.  If its an older laptop which you have upgraded to Win 7 it might be that its not up to the job of running Win 7.  How old of a machine is it?  If you could tell me what type of processor and how much Ram it has that would be even more useful.

A couple of things you could try. 

1) Disable Windows 7's fancy aero graphics interface.  Right Click on My Computer, Click Properties, Click Advanced System Settings, Click the Advanced Tab at the top, Click the Settings button in the Performance section.  Tick the Adjust for best performance button, click ok and ok again.  This will give your CPU a slightly easier life your desktop won't just look as fancy.

2) Google CCleaner and download and install it.  Run CCleaner, click Tools on the left hand side, then click Startup.  Disable programs which are starting when the PC boots which you don't need.  These programs are still installed and you can start them manually if you need from your Programs menu.  They just won't load automactically when the PC boots and eat up RAM which you might be short of.  Skype for example can take up 60-90MB of Ram which if you are short on RAM is a fair bit.  Make sure to Disable programs don't delete the entry.  If you turn something off which you find out later you need you can just run CCleaner and enable it again.

3) Check if you need a RAM upgrade.  Go to http://www.crucial.com/uk/ and tell it to scan your system.  It will tell you how much RAM and how many free slots you have and what the costs of different upgrades are.  If you are running 1GB of RAM thats not enough.  2Gig is just ok, three is good, four is great.  RAM chips are generally easy to install on laptops.  There is usually a small panel on the bottom of the machine which you screw off and slide your new chip in. 

AbbeySider - If MalwareBytes and Spybot aren't taking out your infection you need to run a tool called ComboxFix
You can download it from here http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/protected/c9d42fc81e991b8542872d809cf80214/4d7691e4/ComboFix.exe
When its downloaded just double click the file.  It will give you a spate of warnings about not being compatible with Avast but just ignore this, i've never know it to cause a problem.  Let it run through.  This should get you going.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

bigfrank

Thats about as good and thorough answer as anyone could have hoped for AMALLON....thanks for taking the time. Laptop is about 16 months old and was bought for what i thought was a fair amount of money in New York. Have little or no idea how to find out what processor it is or how much RAM it has on it. Will work through ur ideas here and see what works..i do have skype programmed to log me in as soon as i turn laptop on which prob dont help. Thanks again

Main Street

Skype should not bogart much of the processor, no more than 0.1%.
Maybe there is a utility with which you can see what applications are running and what % of the processor they are grabbing.
A browser with a Flash Plug In running, sucks about 50%- 60% of the processor and the fan will surely be in overdrive.
Once the processor heats up to a certain temp, the fan kicks in until it cools down. The memory should not be a factor here. The fan activity is hitched to the temp of the processor.
Make sure the fans are clear of grimy dust. Also make sure that some air can circulate under the laptop while you use it.

amallon

No bother BigFrank- Right click on My Computer or Computer if you are running Vista and click properties.  Under System it should tell you what Processor and how much RAM you have.  A 16 month old machine should have a fairly decent spec. 

Run taskmanager by right clicking on the taskbar across the bottom of your screen.  Go into the processes tab.  Click show processes from all users.  Click the CPU heading at the top, this will sort the processes into order.  The ones using most CPU time will be at the top.  When you fan is going flat out make a note of which process is at the top of the list.

Milltown Row2

Ok my problem is this, we have a laptop, Ipod touch (my wee girl never off it) and i have the Playstation (big kid i know)

With all these devices using the wireless router I think the speed of the internet and the online gaming can be slow or in the case of the Playstation loose it's connection, while I'm kicking ass!!!

What can I do to stop this happening? I'm with talktalk, If only one device is on its usually fine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

amallon

I would check the speed you are getting by going to this site and doing a test.  www.speedtest.net

I don't know much about playstations but does it give you any sort of error message when it looses connection?  Is the playstation far from your router?  Could it be a weak signal?  If the signal is weak even people walking about a room can knock the connection out.  If possible I'd move the PS closer to your router and see how that goes.

mylestheslasher

If you have 3 people on the net in your house at the same time you will reduce the speed to all three. This would be very evident if one person was downloading something and another was doing on line gaming. You are all using the same line so what one does will effect the others. By all means though do a line check and make sure you are getting the speed you should be and if your not use some anti spyware/walmare sofware to do a scan of your pc.

Main Street

9MB/sec download speed??
and you are being driven nuts  ;D

Quotea G card should still be giving me up to 54Mbps

Isn't that 54 megabits per second?
divide by 8 to get MB/sec

Gaffer

I think with BT Infinity you are supposed to be getting at least 15 mb/sec . Otherwise there is a problem with it
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"