5.1 High Definition Surround Sound
10/100 Ethernet LAN
8x USB2 Ports
3 Year Classic Bronze Warranty
wireless keyboard and mouse
25" Full HD Widescreen TFT

All this on a desk top PC for £453 inc delivery and VAT

Is this a good spec and good value folks

It's a budget machine and despite all the cool sounding features isn't really telling you much. What the f**k is "8GB Premium Branded DDR3 Memory" - is that like 'Premium Brand' cornflakes? Why would anyone need 8 UBS ports these days? NVIDIA IMO make the best graphics cards but you should really be looking closer to a 1GB card these days - plus I'd be expecting the spec to tell me the type of digital outputs I can get from that e.g. DVI, HDMI, mini display port. AMD quad core processor - personally I'd go for a dual core Intel with hyper-threading which would be a better brand and faster unless for are doing some really heavy duty crunching. 25" screen looks good but there is no specifics about that either. Any wireless? What operating system are they giving you? All in all it's not super deal but in and around what you would expect to pay over the counter for that spec. If you are not in a rush to buy you could probably do a little better. Keep an eye on the likes of http://www.hotukdeals.com/computers/deals/ or the clearance offers on play, scan, amazon etc...

Have you considered the likes of these yokes as well:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/3230/2497/-/16586657/Lenovo-C200-Intel-Atom-D510-1-6GHz-2GB-320GB-DVD-SM-18-5-inch-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Desktop-All-in-One-PC/Product.html

They are more than adequate for the average home use. Lenovo computers are built by IBM - effectively the Volkswagen or Audi of the PC world. Good mileage and very reliable even if they don't have some of the fancy sounding trimmings.

Main Street

Quote from: illdecide on February 11, 2011, 04:32:33 PM

All this on a desk top PC for £453 inc delivery and VAT

Is this a good spec and good value folks
Price wise if you bought the components separately, that lot would cost you about £330.
So it's not a bad deal, to have it already put together and with Windows OS installed.
As Ulick pointed out,  better components are available, but you might well pay more.
That graphic card wont be up to handling high end games.
Figure out what you need, what you would like the computer to do.

illdecide

Thanks for the help there folks...when i seen that spec i thought it was the dogs bollocks so it's easy to see how gobshites like me buy the 1st thing they see without giving it much thought. That PC didn't include windows 7 either...

I'm looking a PC or a laptop to use AutoCAD (for engineering drawings) software and microsoft Office and the obvious internet browsing. Maybe throw the odd DVD into it for the kids to watch a movie, other than that its all i need it for...

what sort of spec should i be aiming for
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 24, 2011, 01:22:44 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 24, 2011, 10:56:10 AM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 21, 2011, 12:23:55 PM
Quote from: illdecide on January 21, 2011, 12:16:08 PM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 21, 2011, 10:41:12 AM
I have come across a similiar problem before.  The resolution was similiar to this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
Don;t know if you would want to try that.  The Recovery Console Can be downloaded here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/150212-boot-to-recovery-console-wo-xp-cd/

To wipe and install windows you will need the recovery disks for the computer or else a windows disc.
If just installing by Windows Disk you will probably need to download drivers for different components of the computer.

I have the origional windows disks with the laptop, if i insert it in will it try and fix the problem or will it wipe windows and re-install it. Also (sorry for asking stupid questions) will this format the laptop or can windows be installed again with wiping c drive...thanks for your help

If it's a normal windows disk there might be an option for a repair install.  which won't delete any files. 

If you go through the windows setup it will give you the options on screen there might be one for repair, but there will be an option to format and there is plenty of warning before you would wipe anything. 

To backup before hand if you had one of these:
http://www.usbnow.co.uk/Adapters_&_Connectors-USB_to_IDE_Adapters/c42_46/p52/USB_2.0_IDE_&_SATA_Cable_(with_Power_Supply)/product_info.html
You could taske the hard drive out and plug into that and into another computer to backup the data.

Hi Mhic

Does that USB cable fit standard desktop PC's hard drives?

MY PC freezes upon boot up, and if I could access the hard drive I'd just dump it!

Yep it does.
It will both old IDE Drive and SATA Drives. Can even connect CD Drives to it

Bought one of these gizmos... and it works! Fantastic. Some stuff saved that I thought was lost!

Where do the old emails from outlook express go? Do they be saved in sub folders or anything?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

bigfrank

small problem i hope :( turned on laptop only to be notified my windows had expired...didnt even know this could happen....it starts asking for me to activate and that the code can be found on the computer???? it seems to be a huge number with maybe 25 digits in it. also gives me the option to buy an activation code online...do i need to do this and if so how much are they??? I have this laptop about 18 months now.....any help be good

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 17, 2011, 02:51:08 PM
I have come across a similiar problem before.  The resolution was similiar to this:
Don;t know if you would want to try that.  The Recovery Console Can be downloaded here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/150212-boot-to-recovery-console-wo-xp-cd/

To wipe and install windows you will need the recovery disks for the computer or else a windows disc.
If just installing by Windows Disk you will probably need to download drivers for different components of the computer.

I have the origional windows disks with the laptop, if i insert it in will it try and fix the problem or will it wipe windows and re-install it. Also (sorry for asking stupid questions) will this format the laptop or can windows be installed again with wiping c drive...thanks for your help

If it's a normal windows disk there might be an option for a repair install.  which won't delete any files. 

If you go through the windows setup it will give you the options on screen there might be one for repair, but there will be an option to format and there is plenty of warning before you would wipe anything. 

http://www.usbnow.co.uk/Adapters_&_Connectors-USB_to_IDE_Adapters/c42_46/p52/USB_2.0_IDE_&_SATA_Cable_(with_Power_Supply)/product_info.html
You could taske the hard drive out and plug into that and into another computer to backup the data.

Hi Mhic

MY PC freezes upon boot up, and if I could access the hard drive I'd just dump it!

Yep it does.

Bought one of these gizmos... and it works! Fantastic. Some stuff saved that I thought was lost!

Where do the old emails from outlook express go? Do they be saved in sub folders or anything?
Not 100% sure but you could try this: http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm
It says the folder there where it may be stored.

Norf Tyrone

Thanks Mhic. I'll give that a lash, and thank for the tip re the USB cable.

WaterBoy

Hi Mhic

Yep it does.

open my computer, ensure hidden folders are shown (click the 'tools' option at the top of the window, select folder options then the 'View' tab and select 'view hidden files and folders'

Old emails will probably be saved as archive.pst (this can only be opened using outlook) in the following location

C:\Documents and Settings\'your username ie Norf Tyrone'\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

you could also just do a search of the drive for '.pst' and it will show you where all the outlook files are saved
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: WaterBoy on February 17, 2011, 08:02:13 PM

Hi Mhic

Yep it does.

open my computer, ensure hidden folders are shown (click the 'tools' option at the top of the window, select folder options then the 'View' tab and select 'view hidden files and folders'

Old emails will probably be saved as archive.pst (this can only be opened using outlook) in the following location

C:\Documents and Settings\'your username ie Norf Tyrone'\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

you could also just do a search of the drive for '.pst' and it will show you where all the outlook files are saved

Yep thats for Outlook.  I think he is looking for Outlook Express which I think is different.

Norf Tyrone

This is not my week for computer problems.

Noticed last night when I went to open an email attachment that it goes through the whole process as normal but the email never opens. There is no error message, or nothing.

I also noticed that when I went to take something down from torrent that again it went through the motions but never started to dload.

Now I installed a new anti virus last week (Avira), and I am assuming that this might be a factor. So I de installed that, and the AVG that was dormant on the PC with the plan to reinstall them and see if that helped.

Anyone with half a brain will be a head of me on this one.. you guessed it. I can't dload new anti virus due to the problems as above!

So now... I can't dload anything and worse have no antivirus on my PC. I am assuming I can dload an anti virus programme onto a memory stick and install it that way, but any ideas to the former problem?

Thanks.

Hardy

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 18, 2011, 10:59:18 AM
This is not my week for computer problems.

Noticed last night when I went to open an email attachment that it goes through the whole process as normal but the email never opens. There is no error message, or nothing.

I also noticed that when I went to take something down from torrent that again it went through the motions but never started to dload.

Now I installed a new anti virus last week (Avira), and I am assuming that this might be a factor. So I de installed that, and the AVG that was dormant on the PC with the plan to reinstall them and see if that helped.

Anyone with half a brain will be a head of me on this one.. you guessed it. I can't dload new anti virus due to the problems as above!

So now... I can't dload anything and worse have no antivirus on my PC. I am assuming I can dload an anti virus programme onto a memory stick and install it that way, but any ideas to the former problem?

Thanks.

Hard to say, but the symptoms would put the antivirus software high on the suspect list, I'd say. The easiest solution might be a system restore.

Main Street

Quote from: WaterBoy on February 17, 2011, 08:02:13 PM

Why not just open up Outlook and export all mail and contacts onto the desktop and just back up those files onto ext drive.
Then if he has to reinstall the OS, he can simply import those files into the new Outlook.

bigfrank

Quote from: bigfrank on February 17, 2011, 07:11:13 PM
small problem i hope :( turned on laptop only to be notified my windows had expired...didnt even know this could happen....it starts asking for me to activate and that the code can be found on the computer???? it seems to be a huge number with maybe 25 digits in it. also gives me the option to buy an activation code online...do i need to do this and if so how much are they??? I have this laptop about 18 months now.....any help be good

Cough....Cough  :'(