Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

bigfrank

can you restore ur computer to yesterdays settings??? when i got my computer back fixed the guy said just leave it as it is and dont update it....was working great...altho windows kepy saying updates available...wee brother updated it last night...was 64 of them when he went to shut down....it dont seem to be going as well this evening when i tried to watch a horse race earlier...am i being paranoid?? Possibly the weather we are having??

Minder

Quote from: bigfrank on February 03, 2011, 07:20:00 PM
can you restore ur computer to yesterdays settings??? when i got my computer back fixed the guy said just leave it as it is and dont update it....was working great...altho windows kepy saying updates available...wee brother updated it last night...was 64 of them when he went to shut down....it dont seem to be going as well this evening when i tried to watch a horse race earlier...am i being paranoid?? Possibly the weather we are having??

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bigfrank

thanks minder...am i speaking nonsense here or should i listen to the guy and not update settings etc??? surely windows daily updates etc are helpful???

Karl Kennedy

Folks, I am going to sell my laptop on ebay.

Just wondering would it be possible for any buyer to be able to get any details from my laptop such as credit card details, bank accounts etc that I have looked at on the net?

I have deleted all my documents and programs that I installed and deleted my Internet explorer history but should I clear the hard drive?

Thanks

Denn Forever

If you Restore to original settings, will that not clear out the works?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Karl Kennedy

But would they not be able to then just click restore to the date I restored i.e. restore to February 5th 2011 settings?

Groucho

Lads, I keep getting a message saying Security Shield Warning (virus detected, trojans etc) and can not get rid of it.

I have run my antivirus scan and it shows everything ok.

Any help greatly appreciated.
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on February 05, 2011, 09:17:46 PM
But would they not be able to then just click restore to the date I restored i.e. restore to February 5th 2011 settings?

He means a Factory restore which formats the hard drive and leaves it as it was when you first got it

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Groucho on February 07, 2011, 02:22:04 PM
Lads, I keep getting a message saying Security Shield Warning (virus detected, trojans etc) and can not get rid of it.

Download the free version of: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
And run a scan.

Groucho

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on February 07, 2011, 02:25:45 PM

Download the free version of: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
And run a scan.

It will not allow me to download/scan
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Mhic Easmuint

how? why? you getting error message?

Could try downloading in Safe mode.

turn computer off, then when you turn it on, keep tapping the F8 key and you will get advanced start up options. Select Safe mode with networking.  Try downloading and scanning from there.

Goldengreen

Sounds like one of them fake warning too, sister got it so just removed the app.

is it something like this you are getting:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-shield

removal instruction in the link also

Groucho

Quote from: Goldengreen on February 07, 2011, 04:47:51 PM

Sounds like one of them fake warning too, sister got it so just removed the app.

is it something like this you are getting:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-shield

removal instruction in the link also

Got it sorted thanks

illdecide

Folks I'm trying to connect a wireless printer thru the router and then print from the laptop but i can't get it connected. I'm going thru the process from the book, the printer searches for the router and finds it OK i then insert the 13 digit code from under the router and the printer then goes into a process where it tries to connect but after about 2-3 mins it then says "unable to connect". Has anyone had trouble for what should be a simple process like this and any ides what I'm doing wrong...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch